List Mgmt. Geelong at the 2012 AFL National Draft (selections Nos. 16, 77 and 92)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 National Draft

Geelong BF Preview Thread
Geelong2008Logo1.jpg
The Details: Thursday 22d November on the Gold Coast.

Geelong's Picks: 15, 36, 55 [subject to change]

Links:

- AFL Combine Home: includes previews of all combine invites and list of those invited to state screenings.

- AFL Draft Order (as of the start of FA/Trade period)

- Potential Draftee Watch 2012

- Phantom Drafts:

Chris25's Young Talent Time.

Knightmare's Phantom.

BigFooty Official Phantom Draft Trial Run

Preview:

Somewhat paradoxically for a team that is by its own admission in transition, Geelong faces a serious case of list squeeze going into the 2012 draft. With just three retirements and one Free Agent departure, list space is at a premium - a problem complicated by the strong performance of the entire rookie list in both the seniors and VFL. Although there are strong rumours of several out of contract players leaving the club (most notably Tom Gillies), any spaces opened here are likely to be taken by FA signings or trades.

The result is that Geelong's impact on the draft will likely be small, certainly compared to last year when 5 players were taken. This is in itself is not a bad result. The VFL premiership shows the existence of a strong group of young players who will be pushing for senior selection in the next two seasons. Although (as in 2002 and 2007) a significant part of this years premiership came down to a core of experienced players who will not be part of the club's long-term plans (Troy Selwood, Gleeson, Stephenson, Corrigan, McLean, Hogan), this is offset by the fact that just one first round pick played - Mitch Brown, #15 in 2008. The upper tier of the club's talent (Menzel, Smedts, Guthrie, Christensen, Motlop, Vardy, Hunt) did not play. It's thus fair to say that Geelong have a balanced group of young players going forward.

This will allow the club to focus on upper-tier talent to add some more class to this group. At this stage, the priority should be a midfielder who can player a similar role to Selwood. The prospect pool contains plenty of outside class (Motlop, Smedts, Duncan) and stodgy inside types (Schroeder, Stringer); the only player who looks like he might combine both is Horlin-Smith, who had a superb VFL season but still has questions over his pace. Fortunately, this looks like a midfielders draft and there should be several players available who match the description.

The most prominent is Nick Vlastuin. Metro captain who was highly rated at the start of the year but whose stocks have slipped - not through any fault of his own but (as is often the case) because other, flashier players have risen. Shifter's wrap:

“Medium midfielder/defender who attacks the ball aggressively and rarely fumbles. Strong and courageous in the air, he also excels at the stoppages. Loves the physical pressure of the game, winning contested ball and tackles strongly. Captained Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and won All-Australian honours for his work as a medium defender averaging 16.6 disposals and 4.6 marks. AIS-AFL Academy member.”

There's also Nathan Wright:

“Medium midfielder/defender who attacks the ball aggressively and rarely fumbles. Strong and courageous in the air, he also excels at the stoppages. Loves the physical pressure of the game, winning contested ball and tackles strongly. Averaged 14.8 disposals and was impressive in his four matches for Vic Country in this year’s Under-18 championships. AIS-AFL Academy member”

Jonathan O'Rourke:

“Medium midfielder who is a prolific ball winner and smart user of the ball. Runs all day and makes good decisions with the football in heavy traffic. Has good game sense and an excellent mix of speed and endurance. Classy type who averaged 18.5 disposals at 77% efficiency for Vic Metro and was rewarded with All Australian honours following the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Another AIS-AFL Academy graduate."

And Jackson Macrae. Macrae's stockings are rising by the minute however, particularly after his golden point performance in the TAC GF:

“Versatile medium midfielder who can also go back or forward. Big improver this year and is a long left foot kick. Shows great courage in the air and at ground level in his attack on ball. Kicked six goals against Tasmania in an outstanding performance and averaged 19.4 disposals at 78.4 percent efficiency in the Under-18 Championships this year. Averaged 23 disposals ain seven TAC Cup games to date this year.”

Macrae shooting up the order could knock a few down. Arguably the perfect match would be Oliver Wines, although it's hard to see him dropping to #15:

“Strong medium midfielder with a distinct hard edge that wins him contested ball, including at the stoppages. Has elite endurance and can push forward and hit the scoreboard. Ferocious tackler who is a good overhead mark and prolific ball winner. Averaged 24.2 disposals for Vic Country in thr NAB AFL Under-18 Championships this year, winning All-Australian honours. AIS-AFL Academy Graduate.”

I'll also throw out a smokie: Time Broomhead. Haven't seen him play but the descriptions of him just scream 'Wells favourite'. Reputed to be strong overhead and a very, very smart footballer.

Of course, there's a significant rider on Geelong chasing a midfielder at #15 - Josh Caddy. If Caddy can be secured for the compo pick, the need for a potentially elite midfielder will have diminished significantly and the club could pursue a more open policy. Which of course means Troy Menzel.

Even when his brother was establishing his name in the AFL in 2011, the word was that the younger Menzel was the better player. But a series of knee injuries to both brothers have raised questions about their durability at senior level. In addition, a groin strain only allowed Troy to play two games for SA in the Championships. Although those two games did net him 15 goals, there might also be a question over exposed form. Although an undoubted talent, a huge amount will depend on his medical report - and in addition, Geelong have a relative gut of medium forwards.

On a similar note, there's three other names: fellow South Australian Sam Mayes, West Australian Dayle Garlett and Pioneer Jake Stringer. Mayes is an undoubted talent but it's looking increasingly like Geelong won't get a crack at him. Garlett has already shown his worth at senior level playing for Claremont in the WAFL. Superficially, he looks a typical indigenous kid - supremely skilled, athletically brilliant, but with questions over work ethic and his willingness to play outside WA. But not sure that's reality as opposed to stereotype. Ultimately as outsiders we can't figure that out, but his stats and highlight reel are more than impressive. In addition, he's not just a flashy outside type - averaged 3.4 clearances for WA at the champs.

Finally, there's Jake Stringer. Spent time at the club over the 2011 preseason and was highly rated going into his bottom-aged year - and then broke his leg in fairly horrible fashion. Has played mainly as a forward for the Pioneers this year and has generally looked like he's still fighting for full fitness. On talent thought to be a top-5 pick, but once again seems to be slightly out of favour because of a lack of runs on the board in the second half of the year. Slim chance he'd slip to #15.

All of this still comes with a significant caveat: the club looks like it's going to make a far bigger splash in FA/trade week this time around, all of which could change the entire picture. Interesting times ahead.

I believe Garlett has said he wants out of WA, don't quote me on that though. He would be a good get if we could curb his off-field behaviour. I'd like to see us get Sam Colquhoun from SA. He averaged 28+ disposals from half back in the champs and has a good head on his shoulders. Would be a good replacement in a few years for Enright/Mackie. There is a lot of quality in the top20 this year and Wells will no doubt net us a future gun.

I want either:
A big bodied midfielder
A medium defender
A big bodied KP defender

Stringer even though he played forward this year I think would be perfect. Most think if he sorts out the injuries he'll be a midfielder and I am told he's very good not just as a forward but as a defender as well.

Macrae, Vlastuin & Wright the others I think we should be looking at. Bigger midfileders that can play down back. Menzel is less of a need as a forward that can move into the midfield but perhaps talent alone demands we consider him.

With Caddy though perhaps we could be looking at a KP defender like Tanner Smith or Ploughman?

Now we have Caddy and upgraded Stringer, it could mean we look at a mid thats a little more outside.

Menzel2 , Towers , Wright they are all options . It sort of depends what picks we have which is still unknown.
The biggest roll of the dice , for the biggest gain or loss or Garrlett. Could be a absolute dynamite kid , could pick him and he does nothing for two years , then wants out after devaluing himself.

Personally, I don't believe we will use p15 to select a player based on needs, I think we will select the best available. Although, I know we sort-of went 'needs' with Harry Taylor.

This draft is very strong for it's mid-small sized players, not so much key position players. As I said earlier, I can see a ripper midfielder slipping through to our first pick, whether that be Menzel, Stringer, Macrae, Anderson, who knows.

For mine, I think Colquhoun, Vlastuin, Menzel, Garlett and Membrey are all very realistic and would be great gets but I'd love to see Stringer, Mayes, or Macrae slip to us. Out of the question are Whitfield, Toumpas, O'Rourke and Wines, they'll be top 10.

be good if we could get a key defender.
Young Sully may well indeed come along in leaps and bounds 2013 but for some reassurance, another young defender would be great.

Eardley looks terrific but he's more Enright's size. Lonergan is now 29 (time flies), and even Mackie is now 28.
Seeing as Sully isn't on our list we would need to draft (or rookie) him before we worry him coming along in leaps and bounds.

Could be tough to draft 2 new KPD with the list squeeze and having to decrease our rookie list from 6 to 4 with the list squeeze.

be good if we could get a key defender.
Young Sully may well indeed come along in leaps and bounds 2013 but for some reassurance, another young defender would be great.

Eardley looks terrific but he's more Enright's size. Lonergan is now 29 (time flies), and even Mackie is now 28.

Sully is not a AFL registered player and will have to enter the draft to be eligible to play for any AFL team.

Here is the list of Geelong's AFL players. It includes a numberless Josh Caddy. http://www.gfc.com.au/players/tabid/8264/default.aspx

thanks mate :thumbsu:

Sully will be gone then going by that which makes Brown an even more valuable commodity going forward I suppose.

That depends on Sully. He may not even nominate for the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he previously nominated? If Geelong said if you are there at *** we will take you , Id think he would no time getting his nom in.
The word was he was being pursued pretty aggressively by other VFL clubs at the start of the year, but opted to sign with us. Hard to believe he wouldn't nominate although equally I'm not as convinced as others he'll go in the ND - he played less than 10 games at VFL level this year and he's come straight from country footy. Plenty of VFL big men have shown more.

The word was he was being pursued pretty aggressively by other VFL clubs at the start of the year, but opted to sign with us. Hard to believe he wouldn't nominate although equally I'm not as convinced as others he'll go in the ND - he played less than 10 games at VFL level this year and he's come straight from country footy. Plenty of VFL big men have shown more.

On what I've seen , hard to disagree but stranger things have happened.Considering list space , id say we will risk him to the Rookie list. Even that is no gimme considering the reduction in Rookie capacity.
My guess is we will be three Rookes lighter and have one Rookie pick.

Will we still be looking at another mid now that we have secured Caddy? One who now interests me is Garlett. Has pace, left footer and is a goal scorer. Might provide a touch of class and x-factor into our midfield.
It's hard to say cause I haven't seen any of them play this year, but the idea of Garlett is growing on me. Just intrigued by the fact he did so well around the clearances in the champs. A starting midfield of Selwood, Caddy and Garlett would be hard to match up on.

It's hard to say cause I haven't seen any of them play this year, but the idea of Garlett is growing on me. Just intrigued by the fact he did so well around the clearances in the champs. A starting midfield of Selwood, Caddy and Garlett would be hard to match up on.

I really think he would add a point of difference to an otherwise hard nosed, contested midfield but perhaps somewhat lacking a little flair. I reckon we need someone who can both win their own ball but also has outside speed. It sounds like this kid has those attributes. I'm not so worried about his personal issues - I'd back the club in to nurture him correctly.

Assuming we have 3 picks in the ND I'd like to see something like:

15 - Garlett
25 - Broomhead
55 - Sully

I really think Sully would be a great pickup. Already has a mature body - wht do we do now that Scarlett's gone if Lonergan goes down? Even if we do end up with Rivers we are still light on for KPD if Gillies goes.

Its why Wells get the credit , sure our system is good but at the primary stage, you have one chance to make a 10 year desicion. A bad day for a coach can be fixed , a bad draft will be costly.

Garlett the player, be interested see reviews on the D&T board. But Id say he has a bit Varcoe crossed with Riolli . Perhaps Kerrish A strong looking body would/could dynamic and probably play the Geelong brand a little better than TV does. But so much down side if it goes wrong. Over to you Mr Wells

Edit:

Chris25
17. West Coast - Dayle Garlett (180cm midfielder - Swan Districts)

Dayle Garlett is the player I'll be watching with the most interest on draft day. He could easily go either way when it comes down to the picks - on talent alone he is a top 10 pick, no doubt at all. He has had a few off field problems this year, what with being left out of squads and missing games. But that doesn't really worry me all that much, I'd be willing to take him early. Although I have decided to go conservatively here. Because really, an 18 year old not being a complete professional is hardly earth shattering stuff. Plus he isn't oblivious to the fact that he needs to mature. On the field though, he is nothing short of amazing. Excellent speed, agility and evasiveness. He can run rings around even the quickest of opponents. In the midfield he can win his own ball, he is a smart player around the stoppages. And up forward, he has an excellent feel for where the goals are and just finds a way to get a shot off. He'd be one of the most damaging players in the draft, and that means more than a kid showing a lack of discipline. AFL Comparison: Lewis Jetta.

would have thought we have enough players of Garlett's type.
I can't even see Stokes holding his spot next year with Motlop, Smedts, Murdoch and McCarthy likely to be pushing for senior selection.
I have a nasty feeling that Stokes will be blocking some up-and-coming talents next year, but I couldn't condone moving him on.
Best case scenario for me is that he has to be in top form to hold his place.

would have thought we have enough players of Garlett's type.
I can't even see Stokes holding his spot next year with Motlop, Smedts, Murdoch and McCarthy likely to be pushing for senior selection.

Burbury is another who'd look to be getting games as well

From what I've seen Garlett is different to all those players you have mentioned and quite different in a couple of cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back