Foxtel Cup 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
The finals for the state leagues around the country are almost done and dusted (SANFL up to prelims; the rest are completed). So we can start to get an idea which clubs will be in the running for Foxtel Cup spots in 2013 depending if it will stay a 16 team comp. or be reduced to just 8 teams (hopefully not the latter).

VFL: (3 spots)
Port Melbourne (runners-up), Werribee (3rd), Williamstown (4th).

Premiers Geelong may miss out being a stand alone AFL affiliate?

SANFL: (3 spots but top sides have declined so far)
Norwood, West Adelaide, North Adelaide

Norwood has refused to participate up to now but Westies and North have. So we might finally get some 'top' SANFL 3 sides participating in the Foxtel Cup next year.

WAFL: (3 spots)
Claremont (premiers), East Fremantle (runners-up), Swan Districts (3rd)

TSL: (1 spot 2011; 2 spots 2012)
Burnie (premiers), Launceston (runners-up)

Tassie will be lucky to have one representative after both sides were flogged in the first round this year.

NEAFL North: (2 spots plus a 3rd for NT)
NT Thunder (runners-up), Southport (3rd), Redland (4th)

Overall NEAFL champions and northern conference premiers Brisbane Lions may miss out being a stand alone AFL affiliate?

NEAFL East: (2 spots)
Queanbeyan (premiers), Eastlake (3rd)

Sydney Swans (runners-up) may miss out being stand alone AFL affiliate?

AFL Sydney: (1 spot in 2011; none in 2012)
UNSW/Eastern Suburbs (premiers)

Doubt the local Sydney comp. will have a rep. but threw them into the discussion for good measure.

With Sydney teams coming into the NEAFL East, I wouldn't think AFL Sydney sides would be considered.

What the SANFL tems do will again be unknown, but I would expect any other invites to be taken up. I'm not sure that the Thunder will get an automatic spot any more, even if it is 16 teams.

I don't see any reason why the AFL reserves teams playing stand-along would not be eligible. Geelong don't have any more AFL listed players eligible for the VFL than Williamstown do for example. So I would expect Geelong, Sydney and Brisbane to all be invited - and to accept.

If it stays as 16 teams I would not be surprised to see four teams from the major leagues, and two from each NEAFL conference with (and I would be angry, but I expect it) no Tasmanian side. Of course, there may not be four SANFL sides willing to accept an invite.

I like the 16 Team Knock out format, but if the AFL decided to change the format, maybe allow 7 Automatic Entries 2 x VFL, 2 x SANFL, 2 x WAFL, 1 x NEAFL North.

Maybe a Pre Season Tournement held in Feb/March between Premiers of TFL, NEAFL East, NSWAFL and the Runners up of NEAFL North.

NEAFL North have proven that it is the best league out of all the Minnow Leagues, with Morningside also making the Semis in the Foxtel Cup. ( NT Thunder would be placed under the NEAFL North Banner and must qualify like the other teams)

Saturday 10 or 11am is a terrible start time for the foxtel cup. Maybe hold the match on Wednesday or Thursday Night 7.30pm start time, using local grounds if possible or the League Ground Head Quarters, if the Lights aren't up to Tv standards.

And please get rid of the Burleys!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been reported on twitter (via Adelaide Now) that Norwood and West Adelaide (2012 Grand Finalists) will represent the SANFL in 2013.
Also said the full draw will be out on November 16th.

I like the 16 Team Knock out format, but if the AFL decided to change the format, maybe allow 7 Automatic Entries 2 x VFL, 2 x SANFL, 2 x WAFL, 1 x NEAFL North.

Maybe a Pre Season Tournement held in Feb/March between Premiers of TFL, NEAFL East, NSWAFL and the Runners up of NEAFL North.

NEAFL North have proven that it is the best league out of all the Minnow Leagues, with Morningside also making the Semis in the Foxtel Cup. ( NT Thunder would be placed under the NEAFL North Banner and must qualify like the other teams)

Saturday 10 or 11am is a terrible start time for the foxtel cup. Maybe hold the match on Wednesday or Thursday Night 7.30pm start time, using local grounds if possible or the League Ground Head Quarters, if the Lights aren't up to Tv standards.

And please get rid of the Burleys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why have NSW represented seperately when they are in the NEAFL East?

Can players take the time off work to play mid-week games? I think it has to be the weekends. Plus, Fox want it as an AFL curtain raiser so they don't need to set up at a different venue at a different time. My preference would be local grounds, but that would not be Fox preference.

I hope it stays at 16 teams, but it may well go to 8. In that case having qualifying games between TSL and NEAFL teams before the first round may be the way to go.
If it is 8 teams: Grand finalists of the big three state leagues + NEAFL premier + winner of a qualifier between NEAFL runner-up and TSL premier.

I saw on a tweet from the NT News that it will be a ten team comp.

Top two teams from each of the VFL, SANFL and WAFL get automatic entry, with four 'lower grade' sides to battle it out for the final two spots (like wild card qualifiers).

Games will be played on Tuesday Nights!!!!

It's been reported on twitter (via Adelaide Now) that Norwood and West Adelaide (2012 Grand Finalists) will represent the SANFL in 2013.
Also said the full draw will be out on November 16th.

NORWOOD will play in the Foxtel Cup for the first time next year, following a revamp of the AFL-run knockout competition.

The competition is set to have eight teams in 2013, down from 16 this year, and three rounds instead of four.

West Adelaide has also agreed to play in the cup next season.

Read more here: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/legs-to-play-in-cup/story-fn525un5-1226509386626

I saw on a tweet from the NT News that it will be a ten team comp.

Top two teams from each of the VFL, SANFL and WAFL get automatic entry, with four 'lower grade' sides to battle it out for the final two spots (like wild card qualifiers).

Games will be played on Tuesday Nights!!!!
No AFL aligned teams either.

According to the NT News article today in the hardcopy version but not on the net.

Footy Cup goes mid-week
By FOXTEL CUP By JESS WEBSTER
FRI 02 NOV 2012, Page 52

The AFL has cut the number of teams from 16 to 10, moved all matches to Tuesday nights and increased the prizemoney on offer to lift the profile and interest of the televised knockout tournament.

AFL reserve teams do not take part in the Foxtel Cup, meaning NT Thunder and Southport (NEAFL Northern Conference), Queanbeyan (NEAFL Eastern Conference), Port Melbourne and Werribee (VFL), Norwood and West Adelaide (SANFL), Claremont and East Fremantle (WAFL), and Burnie (TSL) will contest in 2013.

----------------------

So presumably the Thunder, Southport, Queanbeyan and Burnie will be paired in qualifiers with the two winners joining the VFL, SANFL and WAFL sides in the final 8 knockout comp.

No AFL aligned teams either.

According to the NT News article today in the hardcopy version but not on the net.

Footy Cup goes mid-week
By FOXTEL CUP By JESS WEBSTER
FRI 02 NOV 2012, Page 52

The AFL has cut the number of teams from 16 to 10, moved all matches to Tuesday nights and increased the prizemoney on offer to lift the profile and interest of the televised knockout tournament.

AFL reserve teams do not take part in the Foxtel Cup, meaning NT Thunder and Southport (NEAFL Northern Conference), Queanbeyan (NEAFL Eastern Conference), Port Melbourne and Werribee (VFL), Norwood and West Adelaide (SANFL), Claremont and East Fremantle (WAFL), and Burnie (TSL) will contest in 2013.

----------------------

So presumably the Thunder, Southport, Queanbeyan and Burnie will be paired in qualifiers with the two winners joining the VFL, SANFL and WAFL sides in the final 8 knockout comp.

Agree this is the most likely set up. Thunder and Southport clearly the stronger teams so hopefully they don't get drawn against each other.

The change makes sense. Means the top sides in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL only play 3 games so it is less of a burden for them. If it gets fox footy coverage on a Tuesday night I reckon it will rate ok.

The AFL has released the 2013 Foxtel Cup fixture today.

Qualifying Round
Q1 Saturday 13 April Queanbeyan vs. NT Thunder Manuka Oval 11.35am FOX SPORTS 3 5.00-7.00pm
Q2 Saturday 20 April Southport vs. Burnie Metricon Stadium 2.35pm FOX SPORTS 3 5.00-7.00pm

ROUND ONE
1 Tuesday 21 May Norwood vs. East Fremantle AAMI Stadium 8.05pm FOX FOOTY 8.30-10.30pm
2 Tuesday 28 May Werribee vs. Winner Q1 Etihad Stadium 8.35pm FOX FOOTY 8.30-10.30pm
3 Tuesday 11 June Port Melbourne vs. West Adelaide MCG 8.35pm FOX FOOTY 8.30-10.30pm
4 Tuesday 18 June Claremont vs. Winner Q2 Patersons Stadium 6.35pm FOX FOOTY 8.30-10.30pm

SEMI FINALS
Tuesday 9 & 16 July 8.35pm FOX FOOTY 8.30-10.30pm

GRAND FINAL
Tuesday 6 August 8.35pm FOX FOOTY 8.30-10.30pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/152006/default.aspx
FIXTURE PDF: http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2012/Foxtel Fixture.pdf

But after criticism from state bodies about how much the Foxtel Cup was impacting on their fixtures, and how much energy it was sapping from their top players, only 10 clubs will take part next year and just eight of them will qualify for the main draw.

That means a SANFL, VFL or WAFL side will now have to win only three games to claim the $100,000 winners' cheque
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/152006/default.aspx

Probably a smart move. The extra sides from the NEAFL and TFL were just getting wiped out. There wasnt any real need to get the top 3 SANFL/WAFL sides either.

Good to see the AFL take the feedback being given about the Foxtel Cup, and the new set up is far less imposing on the state comps, with less chance of mis-matches as well.

The new set up is good, and seems to appease those that have been reluctant to participate in the past (such as Norwood)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see the AFL take the feedback being given about the Foxtel Cup, and the new set up is far less imposing on the state comps, with less chance of mis-matches as well.

The new set up is good, and seems to appease those that have been reluctant to participate in the past (such as Norwood)

Yep I agree with this. Looks a better format. A few extra dollars helps also. 100K to win 3 games of footy is good incentive and the Tuesday night will improve ratings and exposure to the clubs involved. I can see why clubs are now more keen to get on board.

The Queanbeyan v Thunder time looks odd, given the 4:40 start to the GWS v St Kilda one. I presume it will be changed.

I would have thought given Manuka's new lights that they could have played it after the AFL game and thrown the gates open. Not sure why it wouldn't be live on Fox either given nothing else is on at 11:30 EST.

Whoever gets through from the 2 qualifiers is going to get mightily spanked in the next round though.

Wow if UNSW play they will get destroyed, they were a one man team last year and now he is gone, they have no chance of being anywhere near the top level

nah mate, good little oval. terrible drainage though, played on it last year in ankle deep water haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back