The Official 2013 Bye Dilemma Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

CrozaN

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well the 2013 fixture has officially been announced and the Bye rounds are revealed.

RD 11 - BL, FREO, HAW, PA, RICH, WBD
RD 12 - GEEL, MELB, NM, STK, SYD, WC.
RD 13 - ADE, CARL, COLL, ESS, GC, GWS.

Round 13 seems like it's going to be the same pain it was this year!

Round 12 a cake-walk - can't see myself taking any Premiums from NM, St.K or MELB, and the only Midfield Premo is Joel Selwood.

Round 13 devastating for Premium mids as has already been mentioned - I guess we better hope for a 'Best 18" versus a '6-5-1-6' type structure if they head down the reduced field path for the MBRs.

At least all of our Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney rookies (and ADE Crouch)

Whitfield, O'Meara, Crouch, Toumpas etc will be upgradeable into

Fyfe's Cotchin's Boak's Zorko's Rich's J.Selwood's Trengrove's Swallow's Kennedy's Shuey's S.Selwood's

That is if they aren't holding their own which maybe they will, but im sure at least some will be at decent price or having form slumps around this time

If there's one thing anyone should have learnt from 2012 it's that, DO NOT PLAN FOR THE BYES.. This was my downfall. Plan for the byes, injuries, suspensions and omissions in the weeks they are in screw you anyway. Better off planning for the best possible team rather than the best possible team the byes allow you to have.

Byes should be pretty easy this year anyway if we only have to play 18 players instead of 22.

The only thing I worry about with the byes is making sure I have at least two players from every bye week in every position (apart from the ruck obviously). That way I'm not stuck with unused players sitting on the bench in any of the bye weeks. Other than that, I just pick the best team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really gonna take byes into consideration for team intial team selection unless im basically 50/50 between 2 players and ones bye benefits my side more.

Learning from last year, so much changes during the first 10-11 rounds.

Anyone thinking about sacrificing a bye round for the benefit of their team? Round 13 being the obvious choice. At round 13 do you think you'll still be in eliminator?

It's a thought to seriously think about? Take a big loss in round 13 for the benefit of having a much better round 11 & 12 and better overall team ...

It's 1 thing I am certainly thinking of.

Anyone thinking about sacrificing a bye round for the benefit of their team? Round 13 being the obvious choice. At round 13 do you think you'll still be in eliminator?

It's a thought to seriously think about? Take a big loss in round 13 for the benefit of having a much better round 11 & 12 and better overall team ...

It's 1 thing I am certainly thinking of.
I did it last year
There was a couple complete duds in my league, obviously didn't check, half the players were injured etc

Traded to win that game barely, won the other two against real opposition easily

I don't think it Will be too hard with the top 18 only system though

This year I pretty much didn't let the bye rounds determine too much in my starting squad but as I started making my first upgrades/downgrades I targeted round 13 players then as rounds 11 and 12 passed I traded those round 13 players that were ready/needed to go to players from those rounds after they had gone and before I reached round 13.

Worked pretty well and got through relatively unscathed considering the added and unexpected carnage of the time and got a fair boost in the rankings over those 3 weeks. Was outside the top 4000 at round 10 and at about 1100 at the end of round 13.

This year I pretty much didn't let the bye rounds determine too much in my starting squad but as I started making my first upgrades/downgrades I targeted round 13 players then as rounds 11 and 12 passed I traded those round 13 players that were ready/needed to go to players from those rounds after they had gone and before I reached round 13.

Worked pretty well and got through relatively unscathed considering the added and unexpected carnage of the time and got a fair boost in the rankings over those 3 weeks. Was outside the top 4000 at round 10 and at about 1100 at the end of round 13.

Yeah I did something similar, although with the new format this year I am not sure it will have such an impact as last year, but still will be an area to make up some ground for those that do their homework....

Has the 18 players only during bye rounds been confirmed?

I think trading to R13 rookie players around rounds 7-8 (ie downgrade peaked rookie > to bubble R13 rookie) is good, than trading those after round 12 to a R11 or R12 rookie.

However trading to R13 premiums i dont really agree with, cost to many trades, unless of course you dont have any in that given position.

Has the 18 players only during bye rounds been confirmed?

I think trading to R13 rookie players around rounds 7-8 (ie downgrade peaked rookie > to bubble R13 rookie) is good, than trading those after round 12 to a R11 or R12 rookie.

However trading to R13 premiums i dont really agree with, cost to many trades, unless of course you dont have any in that given position.

Yes it has.

The only round looming as any real issue seems to be round 13. Not a bad state of affairs really as too many bye players in Rd 13, a few can be moved on post Rd 11 - 12 and sneak an extra game out of them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back