Feb 17, 2002
Werribee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wallabies
This is the result of our picks in the National Draft yesterday:

Pick 45: Brant Colledge, Perth
Vozzo says: He's a 192cm mobile utility. He's played majority forward but potentially can play back as well in that third tall mould. He's a really good young man who we ranked quite highly, so we're delighted he was available at our pick. He was someone we tracked through the entire year. I think he'll be more of a development player, but he's a really good young man and he's fairly physically developed. He had a bad ankle injury this year. He'll take a little bit of time, but not all that long. And he'll be knocking the door down, I'm sure.

Pick 59: Adam Carter, South Fremantle

Vozzo says: Adam's a really good young man from South Freo. He can play either as a midfielder or as a small to medium back. He's a very disciplined player, very hard at it, and has really good skills, particularly by foot. He's played for Western Australia in the last two carnivals, so he's very well known. We ranked him a fair bit higher than where he was available to us.

Pick 60: Mark Hutchings, St Kilda/West Perth

Vozzo says: He's 21 years old. He had a year at St Kilda, and has played the last two seasons in the WAFL. He's a former Western Australia under-18 state captain, and a really good young man who has gone back and done a hell of a lot of work at West Perth. He's an elite midfielder in the WAFL. He polled over 50 votes in the Sandover Medal this year. We're thrilled to have him on our list and thrilled to give him another chance. Hopefully some good things lie ahead for him because he's done it the hard way. He's a physically mature body, so I'm sure he'll do everything he possibly can to get a shot early on in the NAB Cup.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151599/default.aspx

Only time will tell how we fared on this draft, but I still want to welcome these players to our great club, and I wish them all the best.

I hope that now we pick Gartlett in the rookie draft, if he's still available to us.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
I'm happy with the first 2 selections - Colledge sounds a bit like Darling in that he has good hands and presents time and time again and is a good get / Carter is a steal at 59, and I believe he'll be useful in a season or two. Hutchings, well I was pissed at the time, but he has obviously worked very, very hard to get this chance, so good on him - I hope he makes it. So, yes, welcome guys - it'll be good to see you in the NAB.

Great to have them on board.

They could probably do with some nicknames, get my thinking hat on:

Colledge:
- Uni
- B-rant
- Ledge

Carter:
- before the horse
- air-con

Hutchings:
- Starksy
- Hutch
- Hatchlings
Usually not that creative IRL ;)
Colly, Carter, Hutchy ;)

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty happy with Carter as i think he will be a more than handy player in the future, Brant i have no clue about but its good to have 2 players in Mcinnes and Brant as developing forwards as we have no Lynch and can be handy replacements in the event JK or Darling go down with injury.

People are disappointed with Hutchy but he is replacing Swift who is a much better backup.

Plus the way i see it we also got Morton, Wellers and Cripps to go along with these new guys and will be handy additions to a top 4 team.

Masto

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty happy with Carter as i think he will be a more than handy player in the future, Brant i have no clue about but its good to have 2 players in Mcinnes and Brant as developing forwards as we have no Lynch and can be handy replacements in the event JK or Darling go down with injury.

People are disappointed with Hutchy but he is replacing Swift who is a much better backup.

Plus the way i see it we also got Morton, Wellers and Cripps to go along with these new guys and will be handy additions to a top 4 team.

All good points. Its easy to forget that Hutchings is still only 21, he looks about 24/25 and seems to have been around a long time. Probably because he debuted as a 16yo. Maybe there is still improvement to come once he gets into an AFL system.

mick06

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United; San D uh LA Chargers
I know nothing of the guy, but there seems to be a bit of negativity towards Hutchings. Why?
He came second in the Sandover with over 50 votes, the kid must be able to play. And to get him for that pick it is very good depth. We have had guys on our list who play in the WAFL and stink it up or don't dominate.
I think its a smart move picking someone who can clearly play against men and play well enough to stand out and nearly win the league bnf

swannies

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Minor Comp Winner Armchair Endzone Participant
Oct 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Everton
I know nothing of the guy, but there seems to be a bit of negativity towards Hutchings. Why?
He came second in the Sandover with over 50 votes, the kid must be able to play. And to get him for that pick it is very good depth. We have had guys on our list who play in the WAFL and stink it up or don't dominate.
I think its a smart move picking someone who can clearly play against men and play well enough to stand out and nearly win the league bnf
Your avatar is growing on me Mick. ;)
I saw Hutchings debut as a 16yo for East Perf and it was one of, if not the, most impressive debuts I've seen for a 16 yo. I wanted him drafted that year and was surprised he fell through to the rookie, then he was in the Aints system and probably refused to pose for 'group photos' so was cut. He's been out of their system for 2 years so we must be pretty confident he's been de-Ainted. :D
Happy to have him and the others on board, even though I would have like Nelson or Lowrie or Garlett. :)

paran

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2007
West Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Washington Redskins
Yeah, surprised we didn't get Lowrie. I think having Hams has filled our quota of short people, but think Nelson still deserves a go at AFL. Was really pi$$ed that Grundy made it to our ex-pick, what a stud!

Anyway, welcome to the eagles Brantley, A/C and Hutch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE_Phill

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Juventus
I think overall we did well with those picks. I back the WCE staff, as this is their job.

Brant sounds very promising, Carter slide alot of phantom draft had him going late 20s earlier 30s.

I don't have a problem with Hutchins, my gripe is that we could of grab Dayle with that pick! If we screwed up, all we would do is sack him and pick 60 your not risking alot. Could of been a steal if he gets his head right. He won't last to our rookie pick :(

I don't have a problem with Hutchins, my gripe is that we could of grab Dayle with that pick! If we screwed up, all we would do is sack him and pick 60 your not risking alot. Could of been a steal if he gets his head right. He won't last to our rookie pick :(

I think he will.

mick06

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United; San D uh LA Chargers
17 Other clubs didn't take Garlett either, some with later picks than ours. I think it says more with the Melbourne clubs that they didn't take him and get him away from Perth. This must be saying something. Having said this, i would like to take him as well, i think clubs can be far too conservative. Back your systems in to get the best out of people.

I hope we rookie Nelson, even if he is too 'vanilla'. Priddis was pretty 'vanilla' as well. If we do than, then maybe we can rookie some chocolate as well. Or maybe some strawberry.

Oh yeh, welcome thread. Hey newbies, good luck.

Masto

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
There is footage of Carter on the afl website. Just click on draft tracker, then our picks, then video highlights.

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
Colledge is an interesting one.
I would suggest that we'd either be developing him as a defender or as a big bodied midfielder, or alternatively had decided to develop McInnes down back and Colledge as a CHF.
McInnes, Colledge, Darling, Lycett, McGovern and possibly Tunbridge seems a bit excessive up forward, especially given that Kennedy is only 25.

Carter seems like a good prospect. Reminds me of a young Butler.

Not that I remember last year's descriptions with any vivid detail, but there seems to be a conspicuous emphasis on these recruits being upstanding young gentlemen.

Back