Dayle Garlett - Overlooked

Remove this Banner Ad

We let him slide past our pick 101 and now we're considering picking him up. Other clubs might be thinking the same thing as we now are.
I'll say again, him training with us MAY be enough to change our minds on him, what has changed for the other clubs?

Massive massive LOLs
I'm embarrassed for you... almost didn't continue reading.
Every club is acutely aware of his talent yet he made it passed 100 picks.
And? there are many more players that will be picked up in the PSD and rookie draft.
Him training with us MAY be enough to change our minds, but what do you think will have changed for any of those other clubs for them to do a backflip on their very obvious decision to not draft him at any of their picks?
Maybe it's ok to risk a PSD or a rookie pick on him, but clubs didn't want to blow a top 10 pick on him.

I'm embarrassed for you... almost didn't continue reading.

And? there are many more players that will be picked up in the PSD and rookie draft.

Maybe it's ok to risk a PSD or a rookie pick on him, but clubs didn't want to blow a top 10 pick on him.
And I'm embarassed for you and your inability to reason.
Yes, many many more players are yet to be picked up, yet he's the only one rated as top 10 talent. Bringing up all the other s**t trucks who didn't get picked up is hardly adding to this discussion.
Other clubs may very well be willing to put him on the rookie list, but they won't have a rookie pick before our PSD pick will they?
And those 4 clubs with a PSD pick before us, each passed on him with that corresponding pick in the ND which enabled them to have a PSD. Yet with nothing changing, they are going to use that exact same pick on him this time around?

I'll say again, him training with us MAY be enough to change our minds on him, what has changed for the other clubs?

All players come with a talent vs baggage scale... it's like girls have a hotness (talent) vs crazy (baggage) scale. The hotter they are, the more crazy you'll be prepared to put up with. The trick is to make sure you're always on the good side of the ledger.

Here is a visual to help.

himym-hot_crazy_scale.jpg

And I'm embarassed for you and your inability to reason.
Yes, many many more players are yet to be picked up, yet he's the only one rated as top 10 talent. Bringing up all the other s**t trucks who didn't get picked up is hardly adding to this discussion.
Other clubs may very well be willing to put him on the rookie list, but they won't have a rookie pick before our PSD pick will they?
And those 4 clubs with a PSD pick before us, each passed on him with that corresponding pick in the ND which enabled them to have a PSD. Yet with nothing changing, they are going to use that exact same pick on him this time around?
Why not? We appear to be about to do it.

Well, he came out after the draft and said he'd work harder, stop the drinking/going out and try to prove everyone wrong, which may make clubs think he's finally ready to buckle down. Also, every club knows his talent - the fact that we're now looking to draft him may make other clubs think 'hey, if Essendon thinks he's worth the risk then we should look closely at him too'.

All players come with a talent vs baggage scale... it's like girls have a hotness (talent) vs crazy (baggage) scale. The hotter they are, the more crazy you'll be prepared to put up with. The trick is to make sure you're always on the good side of the ledger.

Here is a visual to help.

himym-hot_crazy_scale.jpg

Yes and the 4 clubs with PSD picks before us have already rated him as either too crazy or not hot enough at that pick. They may think he's hot enough at later picks, but not that one.

Yes and the 4 clubs with PSD picks before us have already rated him as either too crazy or not hot enough at that pick. They may think he's hot enough at later picks, but not that one.

Based on that logic there would be no PSD because everyone has already passed.

Maybe they know where they stand on him, they could be interviewing some other potential picks and make a decision based on how those interviews go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garletts not up in the gold coast, they wont send him up there without believing hes actually worth the effort.

Based on that logic there would be no PSD because everyone has already passed.

Maybe they know where they stand on him, they could be interviewing some other potential picks and make a decision based on how those interviews go.
No, that is not where logic takes us.
Firstly, there are players that have nominated for the PSD but not the ND.
Secondly, there are players that clubs seek more information on, primarily by getting them to train at the club. Any names fit in that boat you can think of?

Can anyone confirm if Garlett is actually training with us? Is he at the Gold Coast camp?

He's not up on the gc.
But from what I've gathered from various people he has accepted our offer, and they're just working out the particulars of wether he heads up to the gold coast to join the rest of them, or if he just waits and joins them back here.

dont you think thats a little harsh?
I just think there's so many kids out there working their arses off and sacrificing so much to deserve a chance at AFL level.
This dude smokes, drinks and thinks he can get by on talent. I loved it when I saw he wasn't given a chance but hard working kids like Gleeson were.

I just think there's so many kids out there working their arses off and sacrificing so much to deserve a chance at AFL level.
This dude smokes, drinks and thinks he can get by on talent. I loved it when I saw he wasn't given a chance but hard working kids like Gleeson were.
yeah fair point, I'm certainly glad we didnt pick him over any of the Kids we picked up in the ND.
But im failing to see any better prospects in the PSD and if, if we can straighten his attitude out then he will be something.

But im failing to see any better prospects in the PSD and if, if we can straighten his attitude out then he will be something.
You're totally right, as mad as I will probably be at first, there's also that knowledge where if any clubs can turn a kid's bad attitude around it's Essendon or Sydney.

To say one 18 year old kid is going to come into an established club, with a bad attitude and affect the clubs culture, is crazy. The clubs culture and its leadership group will impact upon him. He'll likely model the actions of his peers. The same way he has back home, however this time his peers are professional AFL players, not party fiends.
If picked up, the move interstate will also be a fresh start for the kid. Away from old habits, temptations and troublesome friends.
So what's the real risk?
We could have a potential top 10 draft pick, who needs only a clean slate away from home.

To say one 18 year old kid is going to come into an established club, with a bad attitude and affect the clubs culture, is crazy. The clubs culture and its leadership group will impact upon him. He'll likely model the actions of his peers. The same way he has back home, however this time his peers are professional AFL players, not party fiends.
If picked up, the move interstate will also be a fresh start for the kid. Away from old habits, temptations and troublesome friends.
So what's the real risk?
We could have a potential top 10 draft pick, who needs only a clean slate away from home.

Exactly, if one 18 year old could come in and cause so much trouble and jeopardise our players, then I have serious concerns over the mentality of our players.

Im also happy that bomber staff decided to assess his attitude first hand, with Garlett's invite to train. Then they can make an informed decision at PSD.

Nerd!! In the end it isn't about sentiment. If this kid who has been assessed by most recruiters to be the 5th most talented player in the draft pool can show that he's just a kid who hasn't always made the right choices but most likely will grow up then that is the kid that will take our list forward. We as a club have "leadership material" type players coming out of our ears in that 18-24 year old bracket. Having one immature kid who has the talent to become our most exciting mid is what we need.

In fact it shows that if he gets on top of his life choices then he has more scope for improvement. Though on his facebook photos he mates were commenting on him "getting massive" and he did move through the midfield very well in his highlight reel.

If he trains well we'd be stupid not to take him. He can be cut if he makes an arse of himself.

I hope they get him down to the Gold Coast so they can see whether he fits into the team.
1 week in Melbourne would be hard to judge.

I really do hope we get him. On draft day I was praying he would slide to 34.. A PSD pick should be a pretty safe bet (if pick 101 wasn't) but at least they get to see if he is committed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back