Opinion 2012 draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL

Pardon my cynicism - but is this the same Nathan Lovett-Murray that was charged with drug possesion and driving whilst unlicensed?

I'm sure he'll be a fantastic role model for the impressionable Dayle Garlett. :thumbsu:
Not charged with drug possession. One pill was found in a rubbish bin in his home (where he did not live alone) while he was in WA playing against the Eagles. Not sure about the driving while unlicensed charge TBH.

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
art-wbAFLdraft-620x349.jpg

The other top ten picks make Macrae look as big as Malcolm In The Middle. Some absolute manchilds in this draft.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/a...row-kurt-tippett/story-e6frepf6-1226524535228

It also emerged yesterday that Sydney has Tippett's younger brother, Joel, in its sights.

West Adelaide coach Andrew Collins said the Swans, St Kilda and Carlton had shown a strong interest in rookie-listing the 24-year-old key defender.

"Sydney's been in the mix along with a few other clubs, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up," he said.

We have picks before Sydney and St Kilda in the PSD don't we?

Big Sim

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
I read somewhere that we won't be participating in the PSD.

Joel Tippett would be a rookie listing and yes we could snavel him before Saints and Swans with pick 9.

Presumably the other pick would be on Collins and then that's all for us isn't it?

I don't know why we'd go for Tippett in the rookie draft.

Assuming we are going to have Curnow and Bell as nominated rookies, having a 24 year old that isn't eligible to play in the first half of the season unless a senior listed player is placed on the LTI list, doesn't make all that much sense to me.

I'd rather go with a kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Sim

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know why we'd go for Tippett in the rookie draft.

Assuming we are going to have Curnow and Bell as nominated rookies, having a 24 year old that isn't eligible to play in the first half of the season unless a senior listed player is placed on the LTI list, doesn't make all that much sense to me.

If we only take rookies with our last two spots someone (I think EP) said we can move two rookies to the senior list during the year, on top of our nominated rookies...any idea if this is even vaguely correct?

If we only take rookies with our last two spots someone (I think EP) said we can move two rookies to the senior list during the year, on top of our nominated rookies...any idea if this is even vaguely correct?

Not 100% sure, but I think if we are not going to take 2 players either in the PSD or the delisted free agent period, we'll have 2 spots free on our senior list. That would mean we can nominate 2 rookies (Curnow & Bell) who would therefore be eligible for senior selection throughout the season. Not sure where EP (if it was him) got the idea of being able to add 2 more rookies to the senior list on top of that, but if he did indeed say that I'd be inclined to believe him.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Here is EP's post that you are refering to Big Sim.

It's very confusing but I think the deal is you can have 40 + 4 or 38 + 6. So we can take 2, more likely in the rookie draft (one of whom will be Collins) - and then I believe we have the option of upgrading up to 2 rookies in March if we want (to bring us to 40 + 4)

Hope that clears it up.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

EP meant we can have 2 nominated rookies, not 2 NR + 2 more elevated to the senior list.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
But with Andy Mac presumably on the long term injury list until at least May, does that mean we could possibly have Curnow & Bell (as nominated rookies) + Tippett (to make up Andy Mac's spot)?

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton

I realise he's a cult hero on here but the same applies to Collins. If you're going to have 3 senior-capable players vying for 2 positions then one has to miss out. On top of that, it effectively spells curtains for Rhys O'Keeffe who will require two LTI to see any game time.

Anyway, expecting McInness' recovery to be delayed until round 9 so that a 3rd rookie can be elevated for the first 8 weeks.

Forgot about Andy Mac :)(), yes his injury would allow a 3rd rookie to be elevated and eligible for senior selection from the beginning of season 2013.

It doesn't spell curtains for ROK because I don't believe you have to break into senior football to warrant elevation at the end of the year.

If he puts in a really good year at the lower level, and doesn't get cut down by injury, then he's put himself in contention for elevation.

Is there still a rule that you can elevate an extra rookie for the 2nd half of the season?

I'd rather put Collins on the rookie list than Joel Tippett. At least we know that Collins can play at senior level.

Tippett has already been delisted by 2 AFL clubs.

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Forgot about Andy Mac :)(), yes his injury would allow a 3rd rookie to be elevated and eligible for senior selection from the beginning of season 2013.

It doesn't spell curtains for ROK because I don't believe you have to break into senior football to warrant elevation at the end of the year.

If he puts in a really good year at the lower level, and doesn't get cut down by injury, then he's put himself in contention for elevation.

Is there still a rule that you can elevate an extra rookie for the 2nd half of the season?

I'd rather put Collins on the rookie list than Joel Tippett. At least we know that Collins can play at senior level.

Tippett has already been delisted by 2 AFL clubs.
After reading through many posts i now have an understanding of how the rookie/nominated rookie lists work (i think).
We have 38 senior players on our list, including 2 veterans. Previous years we would not be able to have any nominated rookie because of the 2 veterans. (am i right so far?).
As the list sizes have been changed next season to 40 and 4 rookie clubs still have the choice of having 38 senior and 6 rookies. The advantage of this is that some of the rookie salaries are excluded from the salary cap.
As we seem to have taken this path we will have 6 rookies and we can use 2 of these as nominated rookies. I am sure many clubs will go down this path if salary cap space is an issue. We have McInnes on the LTI list for the first couple of months so we can upgrade one more rookie and yes there is a rule that clubs can upgrade one rookie at the half way point of the season. Effectively we can have 3 rookies available for most of next year, or more if we get any more LTI (touch wood we dont).

If we weren't convinced of AC's powers before, then we should be now. An amazing man is our AC.

Won two VFL premierships at 0 and 1 years of age and another at 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back