Dayle Garlett - Overlooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Why don't we wait until the draft before we start celebrating?
Even then..

I'll wait until:

A) We draft him
B) He doesn't stuff up
C) He's actually any good

I'm excited, but I'm pretty sure that's only because I've been reading this thread too much.

Based on that youtube footage, I'm nonplussed. Throw in the fact he was overlooked due to behavioural issues, and, yeah.

Why don't we wait until the draft before we start celebrating?

You mean wait until after after the fact before exploding in our collective pants over a risky, unproven and as yet unsigned and/or drafted kid?

You're uh..... new around here are ya?

:D

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Personally I'd probably not bring this kid straight in and would rather put him on as a rookie list and see if he could behave himself for a sustained time.

Having said that, I would back Essendon's culture to get this fellow right over just about any club in the competition.

Recently I was out and about at an eatery and a large group of Essendon players were present, possibly at a birthday celebration and I can honestly say I have never seen a better behaved group of 20's in my life. Every one of them was just spot on and absolutely polite and accommodating to anybody that came up to them for a photo or a chat.

Your coach, apart from being a champion, was a dead set model human being, and your captain is exactly the same. This has filtered down to the players on the list.

A young bloke like Garlett is not evil he's just very misguided and needs discipline and a strong culture around him. You guys have as much chance of anybody to do that and show him what a great life he can have if he's prepared to listen.

As a GWS fan I didn't want him, as we have yet to establish such a strong culture and we have so many young impressionable guys who could follow and go the wrong way. You guys have a number of strong leaders who can provide the direction.

For a pre-season draft pick the reward for risk is heavily in your favour. Hope you have a crack and it works out well, would be great to see such an exciting talent fulfill his potential.

Personally I'd probably not bring this kid straight in and would rather put him on as a rookie list and see if he could behave himself for a sustained time.

Having said that, I would back Essendon's culture to get this fellow right over just about any club in the competition.

Recently I was out and about at an eatery and a large group of Essendon players were present, possibly at a birthday celebration and I can honestly say I have never seen a better behaved group of 20's in my life. Every one of them was just spot on and absolutely polite and accommodating to anybody that came up to them for a photo or a chat.

Your coach, apart from being a champion, was a dead set model human being, and your captain is exactly the same. This has filtered down to the players on the list.

A young bloke like Garlett is not evil he's just very misguided and needs discipline and a strong culture around him. You guys have as much chance of anybody to do that and show him what a great life he can have if he's prepared to listen.

As a GWS fan I didn't want him, as we have yet to establish such a strong culture and we have so many young impressionable guys who could follow and go the wrong way. You guys have a number of strong leaders who can provide the direction.

For a pre-season draft pick the reward for risk is heavily in your favour. Hope you have a crack and it works out well, would be great to see such an exciting talent fulfill his potential.
Fantastic post.

Even then..

I'll wait until:

A) We draft him
B) He doesn't stuff up

I'm excited, but I'm pretty sure that's only because I've been reading this thread too much.

Based on that youtube footage, I'm nonplussed. Throw in the fact he was overlooked due to behavioural issues, and, yeah.

You're expecting too much of people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pevers-Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2002
Like Anyone Cares
AFL Club
Essendon
Even then..

I'll wait until:

A) We draft him
B) He doesn't stuff up

Way to kill the off-season.

What else do we have to be excited about??;)

I'd hope we give him a stupidly high number like 48 and leave 13 open as the carrot.

Perhaps...we shouldn't use phrases like this in relation to this player.:cool:

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
We could probably afford to play Gleeson, Gregory and Merrett too. I mean, no-one is going to touch them when they know Zantuck is just around the corner.

at least there's something to talk about. Maybe we get him, maybe not. If (big if) we get him, I hope there is something in his contract regarding off field behavior.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nice of you guys with Pick 10 in the PSD and Rookie Draft to try out Garlett for the other nine clubs before you in the drafts.

You reckon other clubs aren't watching? Now they've had time to think about it in a calm fashion after the National Draft they will have spies watching his every move at Essendon.

Sorry, but if you give him a tick he will end up at one of the clubs picking before you, just the way it is. That he didn't go on draft night is just too silly to comprehend when clubs were passing picks in the fifities and sixties.

Nice of you guys with Pick 10 in the PSD and Rookie Draft to try out Garlett for the other nine clubs before you in the drafts.

You reckon other clubs aren't watching? Now they've had time to think about it in a calm fashion after the National Draft they will have spies watching his every move at Essendon.

Sorry, but if you give him a tick he will end up at one of the clubs picking before you, just the way it is. That he didn't go on draft night is just too silly to comprehend when clubs were passing picks in the fifities and sixties.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

This is no place for logic and reason.

Except of course that rarely if ever happens in footy.

Except of course that rarely if ever happens in footy.

I think he's mad that Adelaide won't need to worry themselves watching any of the top picks for the next few years.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer

herp ******* derp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back