The Steve Waugh era

Remove this Banner Ad

Waughs tactics were basic, but i get the impression they all loved him as skipper off the ground, well maybe not one blonde spin bowler so much

Which was incredibly two-faced of Warne (as much as i love him), coz even he himself have put in his autobiography in detail how Steve Waugh did a lot to help him during his terrible first half of the 99 World Cup when he was touting retirement. Warnie ended up winning the Cup for us (Yes Waugh kept us in it first)

He could never get over being dropped in the Carribean a bit before that World Cup, his ego can't handle it, so he turns into an ungrateful spoilt brat about Waugh

Which was incredibly two-faced of Warne (as much as i love him), coz even he himself have put in his autobiography in detail how Steve Waugh did a lot to help him during his terrible first half of the 99 World Cup when he was touting retirement. Warnie ended up winning the Cup for us (Yes Waugh kept us in it first)

He could never get over being dropped in the Carribean a bit before that World Cup, his ego can't handle it, so he turns into an ungrateful spoilt brat about Waugh

Interesting, really. Id like to know just how much influence Ian Chappell had on the Warne-Waugh relationship given he never like Waugh and felt Warne should have received the captaincy in '99.

i feel like when bringing up 2005 ashes as some sort of defence to waugh, or some sort of attack on ponting, we should always remember to point out the two tests we lost were the ones mcgrath was out. and we lost those matches by 2 runs and 3 wickets.

The only reason those two Tests were as close as they were was due to one SK Warne, who singlehandedly kept us in the Test series til the very last session in spite of the insipid batting throughout. It was the greatest performance by a bowler in any cricketing series I've ever seen by far

Think our best batsmen throughout the series was Langer, who was the only one willing to guts it out, unsurprisingly. The others got out playing dumb as dog s**t shots again and again against deliveries swinging both ways by a metre

It's so typical of the Australian sporting public to minimise his quality because of the team he had. It's just like downplaying Geelong's achievements because they had a few father-son picks or Mick Malthouse was only good because he coached at rich clubs.
idiot its cricket not afl.
steve waugh leached off tubby Taylor. but Waugh had the better more experienced side, eg Warne, Magrath, Ponting (in his prime), Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist, martyn to name a few. waugh mentaly strong stubborn batsman but he had to be something at at something than his brother mark, as had all the talent

Warne's record speaks for it self 11 wins and 1 loss on odi. his work with Victoria, in England and in the ipl as captain coach indicates he could of been twice the captain as what Waugh was but due to his off field discretion's didnt fit the mould of cricket Australia and NSW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i feel like when bringing up 2005 ashes as some sort of defence to waugh, or some sort of attack on ponting, we should always remember to point out the two tests we lost were the ones mcgrath was out. and we lost those matches by 2 runs and 3 wickets.

We were immensely underprepared for that series. It shows what happens when you have the best team and get complacent. Our batsmen were idiots, our bowlers had no plans and don't get me started on the dropped catches...McGrath missing two games isn't the reason we lost.

Everyone but Lee was a god in that period.
I mean you could take Lee's spot and just use it as rotation for conditions.
Kaspa/Bichel/Fleming
Mark Waugh was cronchilly overrated, by far the worst player in that side by a long way. In my opinion worst player to ever play over 50 tests for Australia, just look at the figures they're terrible for some who was rated a quality player.

Batting averages
R. Ponting 52.21
D. Martyn 51.41
S. Waugh 51.06
M. Hayden 50.73
A. Gilchrist 47.60
J. Langer 45.27
M. Waugh 41.81

Yep, overrated.

Taylor>Clarke>Waugh>Ponting.

Can't quite remember enough of Border.
Taylor>Chappell>Clarke*>Border>Waugh>Ponting>Hughes

Border had an ordinary side for a lot of his captaincy, this was partially due to the rebel tours of SA, but also jsut a lack of depth in Australian cricket at the time. He ended up with a mentality of make sure we can't lose the match rather than trying to win, but it came about as a victim of circumstance. His captaincy did become more attacking towards the end when he had a better side.

How is this looked upon in retrospect? The unprecedented success, the work ethic of the team, the innovative coaching/management. Balanced by the sledging, the somewhat drawn out "farewell tour" of Tugga and the lack of an opposition who could push them besides India in India.

Best captain for many a year, or in the right place at the right time? Or somewhere in the middle?

Say what?

well i guess steve waugh could have dropped hayden instead of slater in 2001 and changed history (slater had actually done more in that series up til that point iirc)
I think Slaters attitude at the time came into it.

Anyway, Steve Waugh is one of my favourite cricketers of all time. Not a great tactical captain but a great leader of men, made us absolutely ruthless. And yeah, a large amount of that 12 year era comes down to McGrath and Warne, but he still improved on the Taylor era where we'd go to sleep at crucial periods.

tbh I think the 'farewell tour' only gets brought up by followers of Ian Chappell who has had it in for Waugh for years. Pretty sure he announced his retirement before it got leaked, wasnt much he could do about the marketing for the test series after that.

The sledging is overblown, every team ******* sledges

We were immensely underprepared for that series. It shows what happens when you have the best team and get complacent. Our batsmen were idiots, our bowlers had no plans and don't get me started on the dropped catches...McGrath missing two games isn't the reason we lost.

Part of Buchannan's handover plan wasn't it?

From memory of his book, he basically let the Team do it's own thing; what a ******* disaster that turned out to be.

Mark Waugh was cronchilly overrated, by far the worst player in that side by a long way. In my opinion worst player to ever play over 50 tests for Australia, just look at the figures they're terrible for some who was rated a quality player.

Batting averages
R. Ponting 52.21
D. Martyn 51.41
S. Waugh 51.06
M. Hayden 50.73
A. Gilchrist 47.60
J. Langer 45.27
M. Waugh 41.81

In his defence - him and his brother where the only ones of that lot that had to face the red hot Windies pace attacks for any reasonable length of time.

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Waugh
Clarke
Hussey/Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie/Lee
Clark
McGrath

I'd love to see that team play. That middle order. Martyn, Ponting and Clarke are my favourite batsmen ever.

Winning isn't easy, but that team could captain itself I reckon.

Dude; Gillespie/Lee? Dizzy is an all time great!

Hussey/Martyn is an interesting one; I love both of them, but you'd have to think Hussey would have overtaken Martos?

Lee gets underrated I think. Dizzy and him flip a coin.

Martyn is my favourite all time batsmen. But Hussey is just so good. I'd go Martyn just for his drives and late cuts.

Looking at that team though, I think I weirdly miss Stuart Clark the most.

In his defence - him and his brother where the only ones of that lot that had to face the red hot Windies pace attacks for any reasonable length of time.
that is a bull sh*t excuse if I ever heard one, they guy was crap. To back it up have a look at some others, who were in the side when M. Waugh debut in 1991 and spent their whole career against a PI pace attack at full strength not just the first half of it. Martyn's career is over a similar period of 1992-2006 compared to 1991-2002.

For a reminder M. Waugh ave 41.81

Greg Mathews - ave 41.08 excellent compaision as he also bowled, faced the WI at full strength all his career not part of it like Waugh. So are you willing to Greg Mathews is as good as Mark Waugh?

D. Boon - 43.65, spent his career against the new ball or at 3, rather than protected at 4-6.
M. Taylor - 43.49
A. Border - 50.56
D. Jones - 46.55

Well, we won the first test comfortably, and lost the 2nd by only 2 runs. I don't think under-preparation is a fair charge. 2005 was just 'one of those things'.
As I've said many times before - you replay the 2005 series 5 times and we win 4. That's sport..............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back