Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical Geelong response. Franklin was immense, one of the only reasons Hawthorn were even in the game.

immense?
You for real?
The bloke he played on was not even fit and he's the most overrated footballer I ever watched.
He wouldn't even be top 10 imo.

10. Harry O'Brien (finally exposed one on one and any pressure applied, he turns it over)
9. Lance Franklin (just watch his 2012 GF and you'll see what overrated is all about)
8. Boomer Harvey (rarely impacts a game when it's on the line or against quality opposition)
7. Aaron Sandilands (if he was 4 inches shorter, he'd be working at Safeways)
6. Kade Simpson (does well when he has others around but take away one or two and he falls away)
5. Leigh Montagna (avoids the physicality of the game at all costs)
4. Josh Gibson (does he even know how to put up his arms and take a bloody mark?)
3. Brendon Goddard (plays loose, no B&F's, only 2 AA's and he's regarded by some as a champion!)
2. Dale Thomas (heading into his 8th season & appears on commercials, billboards...not even top 50 imo)
1. Domenic Cassisi (one of the biggest spuds I ever seen play and was captain for 4 years? :confused:)
Wow - gone after some big names. Buddy is the 2nd best player in the comp and the 1st player I would pick in an open draft. Sandi fit is the premier ruckman with Cox. Boomer had 38 touches v Geelong this year. Quality opposition? Simpson would be on my under rated list. Each to their own - a couple I agree on.

Wow - gone after some big names. Buddy is the 2nd player in the comp and the 1st player I would pick in an open draft.

but he doesn't take genuine pack marks nor does he enjoy the physical side of the game, he goes missing far too often for a player touted as no.1 in the game.
His teammates look for him everytime and he'd be nothing more than a supremely agile big man if he was not playing for Hawthorn.

but he doesn't take genuine pack marks nor does he enjoy the physical side of the game, he goes missing far too often for a player touted as no.1 in the game.
His teammates look for him everytime and he'd be nothing more than a supremely agile big man if he was not playing for Hawthorn.
But his big weapon is his speed and agility. He is not a power forward like a Carey but he gets on his bike he is a fantastic player and the best forward I have seen since Carey. You are looking at him at the wrong angle. The bloke is a freak - a bigger faster stronger Stevie Johnson.

Wow - gone after some big names. Buddy is the 2nd best player in the comp and the 1st player I would pick in an open draft. Sandi fit is the premier ruckman with Cox. Boomer had 38 touches v Geelong this year. Quality opposition? Simpson would be on my under rated list. Each to their own - a couple I agree on.
In other words: I can't believe you chose a player from my team.

I simply chose the worst

but it is your opinion those players are the worst while my list is also an opinion so although I take in what you said, I still view those players as overrated as of right now Nov 25th, 2012.
I mean Franklin wasn't even missed when he was out for 6 weeks while most of those other players on my list were overshadowed by teammates....Beams, Birchall, McLean, Swallow etc.

1. Domenic Cassisi (one of the biggest spuds I ever seen play and was captain for 4 years? :confused:)

Cassisi's never been overrated.

Most Port people on these boards don't have him in their best 22 for 2013 and prior to his awful 2012 he was a solid grunt who was good for 20 disposals, a load of tackles and was underrated if anything.

Harvey was not the only player I thought does not belong on an over rated list. Lots of good players don't get 4 AA's.

And considering the statement "rarely impacts a game when it's on the line"...I suggest footscore watches the 2nd Essendon vs North game this year. That was impacting a game.

And on Cassisi, I would agree that he had a very poor 2012, but no one rated it so hardly overrated. 2011 and earlier I always thought he was a pretty good player, and someone you'd like at your own team.

A few names for me (and just to clarify, all the following players are good, and would be best 22 at North, but I don't see them the way others do)

Nathan Foley - a good player to watch when he's on, but he is always being talked about as an important out by Tigers fans, and yet he is 27 and has only played 1 full season since 2008. Sometimes you have to realise you can't keep mentioning someones name in the "outs" section as you aren't really going to have them play all that often anyway, so their absence is hardly a good excuse for losing.

Matthew Boyd - astounds me when people say he is the Dogs best midfielder (that is pretty much the only reason he's here). Ryan Griffen is that much better at kicking, running and most factors, and has that much more influence on a game it's unbelieveable people rate Boyd as better. Boyd is probably most commonly rated a superstar by DT fans, but his kicking means he will never be an absolute elite midfielder (like Ablett/Watson/Pendlebury level) which some see him as.
Exceptional captain and leader though.

Nathan Grima - he is pretty important to North, and we look lost without him sometimes, but just don't rate him long term. I used to think he was top 5/6 in our most important players, but with Scott Thompson coming on as someone who can play against the best KF's, then I think Grima will be pushed out in the future if we get a gem down back (on the North board it is believed Cam Delaney may be that gem in the long-term). Maybe Grima could get pushed to a third tall/rebounder then, but think sometimes he lacks the killer instinct in his decision making and awareness could improve.

Zac Clarke - young dark ruckman from WA whose hype far outweighs his output. No it's not NicNat, who I genuinely rate, it is Clarke. This kid has some great athleticism, and probably will end up making it in a serious way, but for the time being I don't think he's overly special. Would rather Jon Griffin as a backup ruckman than ZClarke. Although he did play Basketball to a late age so there is a lot to work with

Michael Rischitelli - had one very good year in which he won the B&F at Brisbane. Before that, he was a serviceable midfielder who did the job, after the B&F he joined Gold Coast and has been really disappointing for the Suns. They would have hoped Brennan & Rischitelli were guns at the Suns to increase the rivalry, but both have been largely disappointing. Maybe if Rischitelli's injury woes are over he may improve. But for now, he seems more interested in dilly-dallying before the Q-Clash with PR managed sledges

Sam Reid - as with Clarke, seems harsh to put a young KP player in the overrated section. But he is. Not just by his teams fans (if that were the criteria I would be here for ages with North and Richmond players) but by a lot. If Sydney pick up Tippett, then Reid will have to be in form when Goodes and Tippett are available because otherwise he could be in real danger of being dropped and the Swans go back to two key forwards.
I doubt he will be dropped, and think 2013 or 2014 could be a massive breakout year, but I think some good pack marks in 2011 and a 6 goal haul in 2012 have just pushed him to overrated status, as he is still not a consistent performer

So far the Essendon players which have been mentioned as overrated.

Watson
Goddard
Stanton
Ryder
Hurley
Zaharakis

I can't wait for them to start living up to their potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

any player that's only been in the system for 2-3 years is nonsensical to rate as overrated.
Gotta give em at least 5 years before judging.

Cassisi led the comp for contested possessions and was second in the comp for tackles a couple of years ago.

brilliant!
Why could he not back it up the year after and then the year after that when his team needed it the most?

And considering the statement "rarely impacts a game when it's on the line"...I suggest footscore watches the 2nd Essendon vs North game this year. That was impacting a game.

And on Cassisi, I would agree that he had a very poor 2012, but no one rated it so hardly overrated. 2011 and earlier I always thought he was a pretty good player, and someone you'd like at your own team.

A few names for me (and just to clarify, all the following players are good, and would be best 22 at North, but I don't see them the way others do)

Nathan Foley - a good player to watch when he's on, but he is always being talked about as an important out by Tigers fans, and yet he is 27 and has only played 1 full season since 2008. Sometimes you have to realise you can't keep mentioning someones name in the "outs" section as you aren't really going to have them play all that often anyway, so their absence is hardly a good excuse for losing.

Matthew Boyd - astounds me when people say he is the Dogs best midfielder (that is pretty much the only reason he's here). Ryan Griffen is that much better at kicking, running and most factors, and has that much more influence on a game it's unbelieveable people rate Boyd as better. Boyd is probably most commonly rated a superstar by DT fans, but his kicking means he will never be an absolute elite midfielder (like Ablett/Watson/Pendlebury level) which some see him as.
Exceptional captain and leader though.

Nathan Grima - he is pretty important to North, and we look lost without him sometimes, but just don't rate him long term. I used to think he was top 5/6 in our most important players, but with Scott Thompson coming on as someone who can play against the best KF's, then I think Grima will be pushed out in the future if we get a gem down back (on the North board it is believed Cam Delaney may be that gem in the long-term). Maybe Grima could get pushed to a third tall/rebounder then, but think sometimes he lacks the killer instinct in his decision making and awareness could improve.

Zac Clarke - young dark ruckman from WA whose hype far outweighs his output. No it's not NicNat, who I genuinely rate, it is Clarke. This kid has some great athleticism, and probably will end up making it in a serious way, but for the time being I don't think he's overly special. Would rather Jon Griffin as a backup ruckman than ZClarke. Although he did play Basketball to a late age so there is a lot to work with

Michael Rischitelli - had one very good year in which he won the B&F at Brisbane. Before that, he was a serviceable midfielder who did the job, after the B&F he joined Gold Coast and has been really disappointing for the Suns. They would have hoped Brennan & Rischitelli were guns at the Suns to increase the rivalry, but both have been largely disappointing. Maybe if Rischitelli's injury woes are over he may improve. But for now, he seems more interested in dilly-dallying before the Q-Clash with PR managed sledges

Sam Reid - as with Clarke, seems harsh to put a young KP player in the overrated section. But he is. Not just by his teams fans (if that were the criteria I would be here for ages with North and Richmond players) but by a lot. If Sydney pick up Tippett, then Reid will have to be in form when Goodes and Tippett are available because otherwise he could be in real danger of being dropped and the Swans go back to two key forwards.
I doubt he will be dropped, and think 2013 or 2014 could be a massive breakout year, but I think some good pack marks in 2011 and a 6 goal haul in 2012 have just pushed him to overrated status, as he is still not a consistent performer
Foley isn't overrated and I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion. He's a massive loss when he isn't playing, as demonstrated last year. Don't know how you could argue the opposite.

brilliant!
Why could he not back it up the year after and then the year after that when his team needed it the most?

Cassisi was a leader in the comp for tackles & contested possessions for 3-4 years in a row. Hes near the end of his career now.

Watson
Goddard
Stanton
Ryder
Hurley
Zaharakis

I can't wait for them to start living up to their potential.
Nice work - you come on the over rated thread and over rate these players based on your perceived potential of them. :thumbsu:

I'm pretty sure he meant against the good teams.

Which is bang on! The last good game in a big game I remember him playing was Round 22 1998. He was handy that night. Honestly can't remember him playing a good final since the 90's.

Nice work - you come on the over rated thread and over rate these players based on your perceived potential of them. :thumbsu:

Can't you tell I am being a smart ass about it, hell I even seen Monfries on someones list, s**t I never even knew he was rated, I hated him at Essendon.

amazed you have not got Daniher on you list yet, Heaven forbid if Essendon get Garlett, I am sure many will say he is overrated to.

Which is bang on! The last good game in a big game I remember him playing was Round 22 1998. He was handy that night. Honestly can't remember him playing a good final since the 90's.

His 4 goals against the Hwaks in 2007 was very good. Since the 90's the Roos have not been any good in finals. I would not point the finger at 1 player. He gets the number 1 tag because he is the most dangerous.

Can't you tell I am being a smart arse about it, hell I even seen Monfries on someones list, s**t I never even knew he was rated, I hated him at Essendon.

amazed you have not got Daniher on you list yet, Heaven forbid if Essendon get Garlett, I am sure many will say he is overrated to.

Daniher has the biggest hype out of any player drafted - even going past Watts. He has a lot to live up to. Lets hope he is not the next Gumby or Kosi.

That game versus Essendon was a game that our final chances stood on, and it was looking likely that it could slip away from us before Boomer stepped up. That was a big game for us at the moment.

And as mufassa said, we haven't had great finals the past decade, and that is more to do with the team then anyone individual.

But in 2012 alone, he was also one of our best vs Geelong in round 3, a big game for our club.
And then against Collingwood he was very good again - again with finals on the line.

There are a lot of big games for North that Harvey has played very well in over the years - he was our most important player for years and when he didn't fire, we didn't.

Not that I'm saying his matchwinning abilities are anywhere near the likes of Bartel or Franklin or Pavlich - but I just disagree that he doesn't impact matches.

Foley isn't overrated and I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion. He's a massive loss when he isn't playing, as demonstrated last year. Don't know how you could argue the opposite.

Because he barely plays and his legend seems to grow with each season he misses - which is all but 1 since 2008.

any player that's only been in the system for 2-3 years is nonsensical to rate as overrated.
Gotta give em at least 5 years before judging.

I also disagree with this.

Why can't players be overrated, even after one year? If North fans were talking of Atley winning the Brownlow in 2013, and being in the top 20 players of 2012, are you saying it is nonsensical to rate him as overrated?

Some young players are the most overrated - because the hype over their potential translates to believing every good game is an awesome game and shows he will be an awesome player etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back