Politics & Government What changes would you make to your city?

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Disband the Adelaide City Council

Develop the crappier parts of the parklands particularly the awful bits in the south and west parklands.
The problem with those parts of the parklands are they are disconnected from the city, they aren't easily accessible. I like the concept of the parklands, but it'd work much better as winding through the city so all parts are accessible. Since this a wish list without having to stump up the cash I'd do swaps. Pick a couple of streets, something like Franklin or Carrington, rip up the buildings and put in parklands that are usable. And have an equal amount of parklands opened up for development so there's not a ring around the city. A few more squares or park areas in the city, traded for the useless bits of the parklands and you end up with a green city centre that can get use 7 days a week.

Poseidon

Kreuzer Sonata
10k Posts Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2013 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2011 Player Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
Wild Wild West
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
I think Perth needs to take more advantage of the great weather/beaches. I like how Eastern European beaches have plenty of cafes/restaurants/all kinds of stalls within spitting distance of the shore. We need to set up more eateries/cafes/bars/food stalls around the beach and FFS plant some trees or build some shelter from the sun.

bunsen burner

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 12, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I think Perth needs to take more advantage of the great weather/beaches. I like how Eastern European beaches have plenty of cafes/restaurants/all kinds of stalls within spitting distance of the shore. We need to set up more eateries/cafes/bars/food stalls around the beach and FFS plant some trees or build some shelter from the sun.
I agree. One great thing about Perth is the suburbs spread along the coast. Sydney spreads out away from the coast and Brisbane is such a s**t dump of a city it doesn't even have beaches. Totally unaustralian Pauline you f***ing red headed ring-in migrant.

I also think that different beachside areas should have different vibes. Scarborough needs more Gold Coast tacky. Cottesloe needs a cafe strip where the car park on Marine Parade is. Just had a look at Leighton Beach on Near Maps. Looks pretty good from an aerial. Anyone been there? Any good? I noticed Multiplex did end up getting the road moved for their development.

placebo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

* the beach. Continue to make city areas more exciting.

simmo41

Debutant
Aug 23, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Underground train system throughout all of Melbourne that extends to Melbourne airport (see London Underground model).

Something like this? (disclaimer: stolen from another forum)

mapwm.jpg

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Somehow make the train line more accessible to these beaches as well. Having to walk ten minutes to Cotts from the traino is a prick of a thing. When you're there, you're surrounded by shitty, outdated, and tacky little shops. They're not even old in an endearingly, old, charismatic way. Get some modern buildings with a two storey maximum and chuck in some restaurants and cafes.

Waterfront developments are seriously lagging, and I don't get why. Growing population, plenty of money, and a completely untapped market. Most people like going for dinner at a restaurant near nice beaches. Maybe loosen the liquor laws to enable small bars to open in these areas as well, creating St Kilda-like beach hubs (minus da prozzzzies).

And yeah, the lack of trees and shade is pretty disappointing, especially considering our melanoma rates...

**** the beach. Continue to make city areas more exciting.
Do both. Reinvigorate the city centre and somehow make it atmospheric. Lessen the tacky eateries and give (/subsidise for) cheap rent to plenty of diverse restaurants and cafes with plenty of price-markets catered for. Give the city a cultural vibe and attempt to make it a bit of a hub, which it completely isn't.

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

mapwm.jpg

Superb effort, would solve so many transport issues in Melbourne. I am willing to donate to any sort of "rail plan" that will get that up and going or deal with a marginal increase in taxes. Imagine the jobs it would create too...

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
A shopping mall. It's ridiculous that for a city of our size(60,000). the largest shopping centre has about ten shops, of which three are jewellers. WTF?

Manila_Playa87

Senior List
Suspended
May 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

mapwm.jpg

LoL Bleakcity off Skyscrapercity. Half of those lines have no demand for them at all. This aint a megacity of 20 million plus with CBD's sprawled allover the metropolitan area. Many of those routes i.e frankston to ringwood along eastlink, rowville to monash or sunshine to northland could be run using smart buses instead especially since a lot of those areas are low density. Buses are our best friends and we must utilize them to the best of our ability where before embarking on billion dollar train lines.

Buses and trams are more suited to play the role of feeder systems which feed the main heavy rail hubs, is also more cost efficient in transporting the fewer commuters that need to go cross town and serves the needs of lower density areas adequately.

HappyChappy35

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
1) Scrap the Armstrong creek housing development

2) Scrap plans to duplicate the Princes Hwy to Colac (waste of money)

3) Raise the speed limit on the Geelong Road (from Lara-Werribee) and the Geelong bypass to 110 km/h

4) International flights at Avalon and a subsequent upgrade of its current facilities

5) Kids rides and family attractions (a rollercoaster included) on the waterfront

6) Ban trucks from the city centre, and better parking in central Geelong

7) Replace Alcoa at Point Henry with an entertainment precinct and Melbourne bound ferry.

8) Build a theme park somewhere (if/when Ford goes then maybe at the site of their current plant?)

Colac Road is dangerous, carries lots of traffic, and in need of an upgrade to 4-lane highway. Point Henry isn't the most attractive place for an entertainment hub, and a rollercoaster on the waterfront would completely stuff up Geelong's skyline (whilst I believe we should have one somewhere, Eastern beach just isn't a good location for it). Bit difficult to simply 'ban' trucks from the city centre as well. Like the idea of international flights at Avalon, but am not a fan of the proposed shopping precinct there that was mentioned in the local paper a while ago.

Agree with everything else you've said, particularly the part about the Princes Highway (a speed limit of 100 kph doesn't make sense on a 6-lane road with no intersections, when every other freeway in Victoria is 110 kph despite being 4-lane road with dangerous at-grade intersections).

A theme park would bring in plenty of tourists and $$$ for the local economy, not to mention being a significant upgrade on the rubbish that is Adventure Park.

Some other things I'd do is get rid of the bogans who loiter around the bus interchange and Market Square (known locally as 'mall rats'), and stop plans to build this abhorration that is supposed to be a library-

ARM_Geelong_CV.jpg

Araluenian

Debutant
Jan 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Eastwood
Sink the Cahill Expressway and the Western Distributor, build Barangaroo, build more roads (M4 East) and train lines. Set goals and limits of urban expansion.

pacemaker

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I would probably have less real life trolls strolling around. I mean this stuff is really getting out of hand.

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
Someone to cut off the top of the BHP Billiton building. It annoys me. Looks like scaffolding.

Seriously though a new stadium with an entertainment precinct. This is finally underway but is something we have needed for a while.
Updated airport with a train line.
I like Freo but it is lacking something these days. Not sure what it is or maybe its just me being used to it.
We need a unique tourist attraction.

Agree x 1000 000 re the bhp building... Looks like they had a spare bit of scaffolding left over from the build, and thought they might as well just bolt it on top rather than cart it off site. Classic 'bold' 'innovative' statement which says 'just because I am an architect on a 500 million project doesn't mean I can't be a complete knob jockey'.

For Perth, three linked things
- high frequency light rail for the inner suburbs (eg within the maylands/Morley/subiaco/Bentley/Victoria Park circumference,
- high rise, quality apartment infill in those areas, with Singapore style amenities, and a consequent major rethink in the Perthian 'oh noes!!! I need a quarter acre block and I will live in Yanchep if that is what it takes!!' sentiment.
- bulldoze and redevelop the 2km of used car lots along shepparton road near the causeway- that is prime real estate, and by far the best place to expand the CBD...

Ruddeger07

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Geelong
  • Bulldoze Corio and Norlane.

Hey we're they good part of the Northern suburbs.It's the Addy that makes us look bad by mistaking crims living or commiting crimes in Norlane as living or doing them in Corio.
Someone needs to buy the Addy a map.

BTW have been near Norlane recently ? It looks as though houses are being bulldozed,if not torched.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
pretty much just revolves around public transport. great public transport really makes a city come alive.

melbourne and sydney:

- round the clock public transport on weekends. every line should run at least once an hour from midnight to 6am saturday and sunday mornings. either that or get more night rider bus routes, and more buses. i'm more of a fan of the trains though because they are quicker and having a dedicated drivers compartment means the drivers are protected while doing their job as they are often the most vulnerable to drunken psycho's.
- have one train per line which runs once during both peak hour both that has no seats, except for 6-8 near the door for disabled/pregnant people. basically just acts as a pickup train, that arrives in town about 8.20am, and leaves town about 5.40pm. it's ridiculous the amount of people on the last couple of stops that need to wait two or three trains before there is room. this should also help alleviate some of the strain of how many cramped up the regular trains are during peak hour.

melbourne:
- train line to the airport
- a ring train line that pretty much circumvents the edge of zone 1 (about 7-8 km's from city centre). seems stupid that say to get from, for instance, northcote to brunswick you gotta go into town then back out. i'm not too familair with the public transport up there so there may be buses trams that do that job but a train would be ideal.

sydney:
- get some light rail lines. preferably underground.
- smaller bars, similar to what is down in melbourne though there are some starting to pop up which is good
- proper public transport to fox studios. that should be a thriving area. it's still reasonably busy but it should be so much more than what it is.

Meow

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2008
Moggs Creek
AFL Club
Geelong
Colac Road is dangerous, carries lots of traffic, and in need of an upgrade to 4-lane highway. Point Henry isn't the most attractive place for an entertainment hub, and a rollercoaster on the waterfront would completely stuff up Geelong's skyline (whilst I believe we should have one somewhere, Eastern beach just isn't a good location for it). Bit difficult to simply 'ban' trucks from the city centre as well. Like the idea of international flights at Avalon, but am not a fan of the proposed shopping precinct there that was mentioned in the local paper a while ago.

Agree with everything else you've said, particularly the part about the Princes Highway (a speed limit of 100 kph doesn't make sense on a 6-lane road with no intersections, when every other freeway in Victoria is 110 kph despite being 4-lane road with dangerous at-grade intersections).

A theme park would bring in plenty of tourists and $$$ for the local economy, not to mention being a significant upgrade on the rubbish that is Adventure Park.

Some other things I'd do is get rid of the bogans who loiter around the bus interchange and Market Square (known locally as 'mall rats'), and stop plans to build this abhorration that is supposed to be a library-

ARM_Geelong_CV.jpg

Duplicating the Princes highway between Geelong and Colac is a ridiculous waste of taxpayer's money... it carries nowhere near enough traffic to be upgraded to a 4-lane highway and would be fine with some safety upgrades like more overtaking lanes. The $400m the govt have pissed away on upgrading it would be much better spent on schools and hospitals.

Can't see the pic of the new library, but if the design you are talking about is the one that looks like a death star then yeah that does look quite stupid.

Agree x 1000 000 re the bhp building... Looks like they had a spare bit of scaffolding left over from the build, and thought they might as well just bolt it on top rather than cart it off site. Classic 'bold' 'innovative' statement which says 'just because I am an architect on a 500 million project doesn't mean I can't be a complete knob jockey'.

For Perth, three linked things
- high frequency light rail for the inner suburbs (eg within the maylands/Morley/subiaco/Bentley/Victoria Park circumference,
- high rise, quality apartment infill in those areas, with Singapore style amenities, and a consequent major rethink in the Perthian 'oh noes!!! I need a quarter acre block and I will live in Yanchep if that is what it takes!!' sentiment.
- bulldoze and redevelop the 2km of used car lots along shepparton road near the causeway- that is prime real estate, and by far the best place to expand the CBD...

can I vote for you

perfect

Back