Kelsey Krakauer

Debutant
Jul 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, New York Knicks
Who does everyone think was out most improved player for this season, and who do you predict to be our most improved next?

Good question!

Not using any debutants or players with a low number of games played, I'd have to put up a few names for consideration (in no particular order):

McLean
Armfield

... actually, when I think about it, there's nobody else that really springs to mind.

That's a certain indication of a year to forget!

Could make a case for Mitchy Robbo stepping up his consistency but I've always held him in high regard so it's not the kind of increase on his impact on games that screams "most improved" for mine.

Most improved next year? Let's try another list, again in no particular order...

Lucas
Gibbs*
Yarran*
Kreuzer*
Mitchell*

* fap

2012:
Armfield

Lachie also continued his improvement from 2011 before injury struck.

2013:
Lucas & Gibbs

Makes sense for the following to be big improvers next year:

Gibbs: For the obvious reasons
Lucas: Looked ready for a huge year in 2012 and the wheels came off

McCarthy: If he has put on a bit of muscle and a tone of grunt, he may just be the surprise for the year
Mitchell: Looked good for round one this year until the shoulder injury all but ruined his year.
Yarran: Just needs to build in a little consistency into his game and he'll be off to the next level.
O'Keeffe: Just a feeling that we'll be glad we kept him should he get a good run at things

The guys that would have been there already had it not been for injury are Henderson and Kreuzer.

Not going to expect too much from players such as Bootsma, Buckley or Dale just yet. 2014 may have their bodies good to go.

Armfield, Mclean and Hampson to me were the big improvers. Hampson's first 8 games of the year were outstanding. Will be very happy if he can continue with the improvement he has shown.

As for 2013, I am looking for improvement in the whole group, but if players such as Lucas, Casboult, Watson, McCarthy, Kruezer, Mitchell, Garlett, Gibbs, Curnow, Bell and Yarran can show 10% improvement, we will be a very hard team to beat.

We now have an exciting crop of players and young ones at that who are coming through.
Bootsma, Buckley, Lucas, O'Keeffe and even Walker will have to improve this year. The first 4 will be trying as hard as they can to take someones spot, while Walker now has some competition with Menzel coming on board.

2012 - Armfield
2013 - Gibbs/Watson/Lucas

The consensus amongst those who have already posted is that our two most improved players in 2012 were McLean and Armfield. Very hard to disagree with that. I'd have Brock as clearly most improved, followed by Army.

Brock was odds on to be the first player off the senior list. Less than 12 months later and he's widely considered in our best 22 and an important cog in our midfield rotations. He was given an opportunity largely due to a number of starting midfielders going down with injury and he paid the team back in full, and then some. A real credit to Brock and his story is a fantastic one for any aspiring junior footballer with ambitions of making it in the AFL - don't take anything for granted and keep working hard because you never know when you'll get an opportunity.

Dennis would be next in line in terms of improvement. The one thing really holding him back in the past has been his disposal, which improved out of sight in 2012 to the point where I'm very comfortable with the ball in his hands. On top of that he's now very accurate in front of goals. This time last year the only thing keeping him in my best 22 was his endeavour which can never be questioned, now he's a far more well-rounded footballer and absolutely deserving of a spot in our best 22. It's hard not to love Dennis because of what he brings to the table on a weekly basis.

Another who is often overlooked, but I think would be a popular choice had it not been for injury, is Hampson. Every year he's improved a little but I thought that before he was struck down with his knee injury he was showing signs that he had made a big step up. He's been a very competent ruckman for a number of years now, but what was lacking was being an effective forward. In 2012, particularly early in the season before he moved more into a ruck role due to other injuries, he seemed to have significantly improved his marking, and his finishing in front of the goals. I see no reason for that improvement to continue in 2013 when he returns back to the forward line as a tall forward and relief ruckman. I've got him in my side for round 1 and I believe he's certainly capable of a 30 goal season. That would have him well and truly in contention for our most improved player next year.

In terms of other improvers in 2013 - you could probably make a case for each player on the list, such was the nature of our poor 2012 season. However if I was to limit it to just a few names, I'd go with Gibbs, Walker, Yarran, Kreuzer and Garlett. All senior players who struggled in 2012 for one reason or another, and are capable of so much more than what they showed this season.

Of the younger brigade I expect Lucas to put a few poor years behind him and really push to become a permanent fixture in the senior side, and Watto to continue building on the nice foundation he laid for himself this year.

McLean went from being first in line to be de-listed to our best player in the last half of the season, he was our most improved and Armfield was a good second.

I'm going to go against the tide here, I think Lachlan Henderson will build on what he showed in the first half of this season and become one of the best KPPs in the league. The guy really looks sure of himself these days out on the field and I'm tipping him to dominate this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Army was definitely our most improved in the 2012 season. He definitely dug in and made himself a part of the best 22. McLean was a very close second with Hammer trailing both of the mids in third place.

For 2012, I fully expect those 3 to continue to grow. I also expect to see Lucas to really step up under the new coach (remember how Bower and Russell stepped up when Ratts initially had faith in them) and I also expect to see Casboult right up there as well.

Based on form at Carlton only, McLean was our biggest improver by a long way. Based on form in the AFL generally, Armfield really stepped up. He just needs to develop a bit more footy smarts to become a guaranteed best 22 player.

In 2013, I'm predicting Yaz will be pushing towards AA calculations should he stay injury free.

How can McLean be most improved? He has been better than he was this year in 2006?

Maybe a good candidate for "player that was good, then sh1t, then good again".

How can McLean be most improved? He has been better than he was this year in 2006?

Maybe a good candidate for "player that was good, then sh1t, then good again".

We know you don't like McLean, but give credit where it's due.

If you can't see that McLean improved enormously in 2012 then quite simply you've been watching the wrong channel.

For Carlton, clown.

Clown? Really??

From every most improved award I've ever seen or heard of the player has to make an improvement, all Mclean has done is get back to his best. I think that it's great that he has found form again, but to say that he has improved as a footballer doesn't really make sense seeing as he has played better footy before this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back