Pick #30 (2012) - Mason Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Westhoff is what makes our forward structure tricky. I wouldn't mind if we played Schulz/Butch/Shaw in the forward line, even with two rucks. But Westhoff is that spanner in the works... is he now a utility and we could play him in a link up role?

I want to see Westhoff and Monfries floating around the half forward line and delivering to Schulz (eventually Shaw when Schulz retires, probably after jumping in front of a truck because he saw a football on the road) and Butcher, with a crumber at their feet. The crumber is the question. Gray and Wingard can do it, but it's a waste of their talent. Hitchcock has the smarts, but we all know about his faults. Neade is the great unknown.

Westhoff is what makes our forward structure tricky. I wouldn't mind if we played Schulz/Butch/Shaw in the forward line, even with two rucks. But Westhoff is that spanner in the works... is he now a utility and we could play him in a link up role?

Hence when I pick on Westhoff he throws our tall to small balance out IMO. He lacks the impact to be a proper forward and doesn't do enough elsewhere. others like him fair enough, I would have tried to have trade him for a pick in the late teens or 20's similar to the Collingwood spud :)

I guess it becomes do we turn Shaw into a very good fwd and a handy ruckman or do we try and make Lobbe/Redden/Renouf into very good ruckmen and handy fwds...

As for Westhoff I think he just needs a position. He was playing 3-4 positions a game at times last year. Unless your Chad Circa 2004-8 no one can do that successfully.

Edit: Also as someone made a mention to earlier compare Westhoff to Dawes... If Westhoff was a gorilla looking person like Dawes would we be treating him differently even though in terms of contested marking Westhoff is as good if not better. And his agility and skills are far better... However would a club want to offer pick 20 for him?

I would prefer Neade at the Magpies.
If he goes to North Adelaide or Souths :mad:

Edit: Also as someone made a mention to earlier compare Westhoff to Dawes.

Insult to Westhoff. Westhoff kicked 28 goals in 22 games playing just about every position on the park for a bottom 5 team, Dawes kicked 20 goals in 23 games playing as a key forward and very occasional ruckman for a top 4 team. Anybody who rates Dawes as equal or better to Westhoff needs to watch Moneyball and start rating players on what they actually do rather than what they look like they should be able to do.

Insult to Westhoff. Westhoff kicked 28 goals in 22 games playing just about every position on the park for a bottom 5 team, Dawes kicked 20 goals in 23 games playing as a key forward and very occasional ruckman for a top 4 team. Anybody who rates Dawes as equal or better to Westhoff needs to watch Moneyball and start rating players on what they actually do rather than what they look like they should be able to do.

Thats pretty much my point... Melbourne would never have offered pick 20 for Westhoff... However if he looked like Dawes people might think differently. Just because he has shaggy hair and looks laconic on the field I think undermines what we think of his actual output. I kinda think of him as an AFL version of Berbatov...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ya, Westhoff has to be the most unfairly-maligned player in history.

As a pick 70-odd in the era of uberscientific ins and outs of a bilby's bunghole drafts and recruiting we could've done a shitload worse.

We did, by drafting his brother.
At pick 33 :oops:

I'd love to know if Matthew was any other recruiter's big board, let alone tipped to go late second/early third round.

Reality is there wasn't much left on the board after Matthew (we took Marlon before Levi), but bloody hell.

I remember one of the Gowans (perhaps both) saying he was more talented than Justin.

In fairness, as was mentioned it was a very thin draft that year.

I'm trying to work out who Shaw looks like - apart from the actual Tippett comparison - Mason looks a little like Earl Spalding and Jonathon Ross.

I'd love to know if Matthew was any other recruiter's big board, let alone tipped to go late second/early third round.

Reality is there wasn't much left on the board after Matthew (we took Marlon before Levi), but bloody hell.

Matt Rendell expressed surprise when he was inevitably asked what he thought of Port's recruiting by KG and Cornes. :rolleyes:

I guess it becomes do we turn Shaw into a very good fwd and a handy ruckman or do we try and make Lobbe/Redden/Renouf into very good ruckmen and handy fwds...

As for Westhoff I think he just needs a position. He was playing 3-4 positions a game at times last year. Unless your Chad Circa 2004-8 no one can do that successfully.

Edit: Also as someone made a mention to earlier compare Westhoff to Dawes... If Westhoff was a gorilla looking person like Dawes would we be treating him differently even though in terms of contested marking Westhoff is as good if not better. And his agility and skills are far better... However would a club want to offer pick 20 for him?

Dawes plays like he is 6'4, Westhoff think he is a 5'8 Half Forward Flanker. Dawes plays with a presance, Westhoff doesn't demand the footy, nor does he have any presance on a game bar the 15 minutes he puts together over 4 quaters. He is 200cm's tall, play like your 200cm's tall not 200cm's short!

Dawes plays like sh*t, presence or not westhoff is a better player

That may be the case, but this is most people's gripe with Westhoff. he is a 6'8 Wingman who lacks that sheer determination to win a game of football (or so it seems on the football field)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back