Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
  • We focus too much on outdoing the NRL.
  • Umpires should wear white, goal umpires should wear lab coats.
  • Clubs complain excessively about interstate travel.
  • Too many matches are broadcast on Foxtel only.
  • Nick Riewoldt is underrated.
  • I love Stephen Milne as a player and really enjoy watching him in full flight.
  • Majak Daw was/is ridiculously overhyped for a player who has never played a senior game.
  • Too much attention is given to WAGs on Brownlow night.
  • Adelaide's clash jumper for 2013 looks absolutely terrible.

best thing said on Bf all year!!!!

HappyChappy35

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
best thing said on Bf all year!!!!

Umpires nowadays look like the wiggles with their coloured uniforms, reverting to white (plus lab coats) would be a significant improvement on current uniforms.
  • 2-3 suburban grounds should have been retained for AFL matches.
  • Too many clubs in Melbourne.
  • If Tasmania ever receive a team, the bulk of their home games should be played in Hobart (considering it is the largest city)- none of this half/half split or creating two clubs.
  • There is no way of making the fixture entirely 'fair'.
  • The AFL is not corrupt, and does not have a hidden agenda against any club.
  • Umpiring has never determined and/or influenced the outcome of any close match.

HappyChappy35

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
I'm not sure you get the point of the thread ;) haha.

Considering the massive circle jerk a while ago from the media, North supporters, and the footy public over Daw, you'd think it is blasphemous to suggest he is overhyped.

Considering the massive circle jerk a while ago from the media, North supporters, and the footy public over Daw, you'd think it is blasphemous to suggest he is overhyped.

I disagree when you say 'footy public'. I don't think there are many fans outside of a few North diehards that really expect Daw to amount to much.

Mitt Romney

Senior List
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chelsea
The second part, I do not agree with at all. That means kids could pick and choose where they wanted to play, basically turning it into a zone selection. Why would Lachie Whitfield go to Brisbane or Fremantle or Port Adelaide, none of those teams are going to win the premiership next year, none of them are close to home, he'd choose Hawthorn, Geelong etc. Eventually the big victorian teams would become superpowers and the interstate teams would get scraps that these teams couldn't fit into their list. For your team Geelong it would be brilliant, you would be a real chance to get Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman, Stringer, O'Rourke, MacRae, Wines, Vlastuin, Daniher, Jaksch, Corr etc. While Brisbane would get Boston, Coleman-Broome, Aliir. As I said there'd be no reason that Whitfield, O'Rourke, Wines etc. would want to come to Brisbane, we're not a superpower plus we're interstate so mummy and daddy can't hold their hand anymore. Sure we'd give them an offer but why would they come?

I understand your concern and all. But what if the AFL orchestrated some kind of rule whereby a team was allowed to pay a player 10% more than they otherwise would get paid if that player was coming from interstate. So there is a financial incentive, dealt with by the AFL, to move interstate. You'd think that would create some kind of balance between young Vics who choose a local team and who make the move interstate.

I think the real benefit would be both players and teams having a great deal more choice when it comes to who they play with and how they construct their teams. Could work, but it would require a plethora of technical rules like the aforementioned one to prohibit the concentration of good players in good sides

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
Dawes will be a good pick for Melbourne this year.

Caddy is overrated, edge of Geelongs best 22.

CallumBartlett

Senior List
Oct 21, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I understand your concern and all. But what if the AFL orchestrated some kind of rule whereby a team was allowed to pay a player 10% more than they otherwise would get paid if that player was coming from interstate. So there is a financial incentive, dealt with by the AFL, to move interstate. You'd think that would create some kind of balance between young Vics who choose a local team and who make the move interstate.

I think the real benefit would be both players and teams having a great deal more choice when it comes to who they play with and how they construct their teams. Could work, but it would require a plethora of technical rules like the aforementioned one to prohibit the concentration of good players in good sides

I can see your point but there are still a number of issues:

1) Why would an interstate draftee come for only 10% more, I think the draftee contract is about $85,000 p/a if I'm not mistaken, which means they would only get $93,500 a year to come interstate hardly worth it. For it to work Brisbane, Sydney, GC, GWS would need major salary cap boosts and Freo, WCE, Port, Adel would need minor salary cap boosts, now we've already seen the outcry for Sydney having a few hundred thousand more in their salary cap, how would the footy world react when they had a couple of million more?

2) How would the struggling Victorian teams survive? They would have to be the real losers. Why would Whitfield, O'Rourke, Wines etc. come to say St. Kilda, they're not going to win a premiership soon and they won't get any more money, teams like Melbourne, North, St. Kilda, WBD, have literally nothing to offer these young men, hence they wouldn't go there.

3) Basically the only way it would work is to have the salary cap dependant on your position, E.G GWS, GC, WBD, Port, Melb get the biggest salary caps while Hawthorn, Sydney get the smallest which is faced with it's own problems, Sydney would be in real s**t if they had a tiny salary cap and there was a free agency of draftee's. Also players would basically move once a team became quality because then they couldn't pay them a lot, so players would often go to 3 or 4 teams in a career, which is another issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
I don't mind Collingwood.

Synth

I'm kind of a big deal
May 25, 2009
Bayside, Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb City, Man City, NY Giants
Fair enough, but let's turn the tables, hypothetically if Essendon was financially unstable would you put your own team forward to become say the Cairns Bombers? Of course you wouldn't, so I don't understand why your suggesting it for other teams?

I can only give you my opinion based on the reality the faces me right now.
You do realise this is the "Unpopular Opinions" thread. If you're not happy with my opinion don't read this thread.

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers

You guys have been following the fall out from the Swans win in the GF...right...?!?

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
Umpires nowadays look like the wiggles with their coloured uniforms, reverting to white (plus lab coats) would be a significant improvement on current uniforms.
  • 2-3 suburban grounds should have been retained for AFL matches.
  • Too many clubs in Melbourne.
  • If Tasmania ever receive a team, the bulk of their home games should be played in Hobart (considering it is the largest city)- none of this half/half split or creating two clubs.
  • There is no way of making the fixture entirely 'fair'.
  • The AFL is not corrupt, and does not have a hidden agenda against any club.
  • Umpiring has never determined and/or influenced the outcome of any close match.
Totally disagree with the first three, totally spot on with the last three...might I also add my support to the many great thinkers here who equate lab coats with goal umpiring as well as Nobel Prizes, and also throw in a compulsory return to black boots for all players...

Actually, I could be swayed on the first one, but I've never seen a Western Oval replay in July that looked attractive for anyone except pigs on a farm and arctic seabirds...

Escobar123

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe not in W.A and tbh Pavlich shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Brown in QLD. But in terms of the neutral states, I'm sure people would prefer Brown to Pavlich maybe that's my bias, but I don't even have them in the same category.

Jonathan Brown

Most Courageous Player too many times to count
AFLPA Best Captain's
Coleman
Premierships
Mark of the Year
Multiple All-Australian's
Victorian Captain - 2008
Club Best and Fairest's

Yeah.

The bolded is such a load of crap tbh. His so called "courage" is of no use to the team when he keeps getting his head smashed in and misses large chunks of each season through injury. IIRC the year Brown won the Coleman, Pav came second 6 or so goals behind. Premierships are a team award so they are irrelevant when comparing two players, not to mention Brown's part in them was pretty minor anyway. As for All Australians, Pav has 6 (shuld have been 7 this season:mad:) vs Brown's 2, says it all really. Pav's consistency is second to none. Not to mention he is way more versatile able to play well in most positions on the ground, even receiving a selection in the 2002 AA back-line. And I am sure Pav has won a fair few B&F's too :rolleyes: As forwards, Brown's best is marginally better but hasn't produced it often enough over his career for it to mean much. Over their entire careers Pav easily for mine.

CallumBartlett

Senior List
Oct 21, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The bolded is such a load of crap tbh. His so called "courage" is of no use to the team when he keeps getting his head smashed in and misses large chunks of each season through injury. IIRC the year Brown won the Coleman, Pav came second 6 or so goals behind. Premierships are a team award so they are irrelevant when comparing two players, not to mention Brown's part in them was pretty minor anyway. As for All Australians, Pav has 6 (shuld have been 7 this season:mad:) vs Brown's 2, says it all really. Pav's consistency is second to none. Not to mention he is way more versatile able to play well in most positions on the ground, even receiving a selection in the 2002 AA back-line. And I am sure Pav has won a fair few B&F's too :rolleyes: As forwards, Brown's best is marginally better but hasn't produced it often enough over his career for it to mean much. Over their entire careers Pav easily for mine.

And that is the whole point I was arguing, If you read the original post I replied to the guy said that "Brown's best is better than Pav's best" as though he's the only one who thinks it, I was just arguing that most people believe that and even as a Freo fan you've backed me up on it, cheers.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
And that is the whole point I was arguing, If you read the original post I replied to the guy said that "Brown's best is better than Pav's best" as though he's the only one who thinks it, I was just arguing that most people believe that and even as a Freo fan you've backed me up on it, cheers.
I think he is saying that as a pure forward, Brown is marginally better, but as an all round footballer, Pav is better, and not marginally. So no, he isnt backing you up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back