Opinion 10 most over rated current players

footscore

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I also disagree with this.

Why can't players be overrated, even after one year? If North fans were talking of Atley winning the Brownlow in 2013, and being in the top 20 players of 2012, are you saying it is nonsensical to rate him as overrated?

but how can you even talk of consistency if you wish to base your assumptions of his ability from only one season?

What happens if Atley has a terrific season in 2013 and you then say "I was wrong for calling him overrated" but at the start of 2014 he does his ACL and plays again 2015 but is nothing like the player he was the year before....can I then say he's overrated if we are only talking one year to judge players?

Nov 28, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
So I couldn't help but read in the herald sun tehy have recently been doing top 10 lists for guys picked late in the draft and it got me to thinking. Why are these players rated now by the media? On what basis? Cyril Rioli ahead of Anthony Stevens ... anyway onto my list. These are players that IMO are over rated by the media and fans alike.

10. Nick Maxwell
Okay so maybe not as much with the fans as he is pretty much widely known as the worst player to be a captain in a while but the media do love him. Had a woeful season and seems like his best, which really wasn't that good to begin with is, well past him. His worst year in some time and should have probably never been an All Australian in the first place. Disposals has him down to his worst year in 4 years and at times was so out of place was thrown forward. Be interested to see if he stays in the team this year.

9. Justin Koschitzke

Not many rate him any more but he is always mentioned as a wild card or danger man for a big game or final. He isn't. He kicked 15 goals this year as a forward/back up ruck. His best is clearly past him and would not be surprised if he wasn't at the Saints after this year. Of course someone will give him a chance due to the hype.

8. Campbell Brown
Ever wonder why Hawks fans were never that dirty on him leaving? Yeah some of it was because they loved him, the other half was because he is finished. Watching Aaron Edwards run a muck on him was embarrasing. If he does go on he will quickly become the liability in their back line. He still is rated fairly highly in the media though. When is his ability ever been questioned? His physicallity at the man has but he will end up a very grumpy man next season if his form continues. Don't expect the Melbourne media to pick up on it though and question McKenna if he gets dropped.

7. Mitch Clark
Not just because Melbourne paid overs for him. He played as a forward who spent 10% of his time in the ruck this year. He still only kicked 27 and had a paultry 82 hit outs. Clearly they didn't need him in the ruck anymore and if he is kicking 27 goals in a season I can't see him being a permanent forward. Another who falls under the Campbell Brown category of people love the way he looks when he plays. Hard and tough but not really effective.

6. David Rodan
I really like Rodan he has had a touch career with the Richmond delisting and knee injuries. He is also a really good dancer. Is this why he seems to be rated so highly? He averaged an ordinary 15 touches a game this year, which amazingly is ahead of his career average.

5. Majak Daw
Hasn't played a senior game yet may be Norths 2nd or 3rd most known player. Media and fans were calling for him to play Senior footy this season. He does the brilliant but still does the very dumb at times. Is progressing really well from where he has come but everybody needs to calm down.

4. Jarrad Waite
We all heard that he would have pushed the Blues further into the finals. Really? He kicked 16 goals from 12 games. The most he has ever kicked in a season is 36. He is a handy forward or back man. He isn't the KPP that will answer their problems. Injury prone and does stupid things on the field. But he is the saviour allegedly.

3. Nic Naitanui

Like Majak can do the amazing and his performance in that final against Collingwood was amazing, he is getting better but is still not at the level that some speak of. Gerard Healy is the main culprit here. I've heard him say Nic Nat purposely dropped a mark to a crumber. Really?. Will be a superstar if he can find consistancy but isn't yet.

2. Patrick Dangerfield
Only 4 seasons into his career but put a tagger on him and you won't have to worry. Would look like a jet in Geelong or Collingwoods team but when you can tag him out of the game so easily it says a fair bit about his mental application. Is always a favourite with dream teamers and is fantastic when he has the 4 goal 30 touch games. But when he has his 6 touch games you realise he really needs consistency. Will hopefully get there but not just yet.

1. Cyril Rioli
Probably the most over rated footballer I have ever seen. When Buddy went down against Geelong some media outlets and fans were calling for Cyril to be the focus up forward. Had they done that, Sydney would have played Collingwood in the prelim. Is a beautifully skilled footballer but just doesn't get enough of it or kick enough goals. Sometimes you wonder if his name was Jack Smith and he played for Fremantle if he would get the same media attention. My guess is no.

I agree with your list. Especially with Cyril.

HiberDive

Draftee
Oct 27, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Red Bull, Baltimore Ravens
I would say Tippett but no fans overrate him only Longmire.

Who else, hard to say, I think the critics tend to get it right most of the time.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
3. Jack Ziebell
He averaged less everything when compared to the North melb supporters most hated Essendon player Dyson Heppell.
But he has had a 40 possession game once.

2. Shaun Atley
He averaged less everything a game than the Great Ricky Dyson

1. Kieran Harper
Pretty much averaged less everything when compared to the almighty

088056-kyle-reimers.jpg
Gutsey going after a kid that has had 2 broken legs. Who is next Morabito? Zero class.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
4 years in the system, played more games than Hurley, but does not stop a coward like your good self going after Hurley now does it?
When did Hurley break 2 legs? A couple of soft tissue injuries is nothing. You have proved who the coward is.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Now I am female. Funny little nuffy you are turning out to be. Weak and stupid.

I would love to sit next to you at the next Essendon vs North game. seeing your face when Watson, Hurley, Heppell, Daniher, Goddard destroy your club would be quiet something.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would love to sit next to you at the next Essendon vs North game. seeing your face when Watson, Hurley, Heppell, Daniher, Goddard destroy your club would be quiet something.

Lol - we play you in the 2nd half of the season when your season is in the toilet. Every team requested Essendon after round 12. But book the seats I am more than happy to sit next to you.

My top 10:
1. Rioli - commentators...
2.Harry O & Maxwell. Couldn't separate these 2. One's in love with his own hype, the other is perhaps the worst premiership captain to play the game. Unfortunately the tag of premiership captain makes Maxwell talked up by the media as an absolute champion when in reality, without the captaincy, he would surely be hard pressed to get a game.
3. Hurley - Love his aggression but still needs to find his spot and show his full potential. Teases with glimpses but needs to get the whole product together to become a true monster of the comp.
4. Nic Nat - Human highlight reel but also capable of not doing much over 4 quarters. Love watching him play and in a few years time will be almost the best ruck going round I think. He's still young, just needs to find more consistency.
5. Daw - I want to see this kid play AFL but for a guy yet to debut, he has so much hype about what he could become.
6. Scully. Injuries have severely impacted him but his huge contract means he should be producing more. Still young.
7. Judd. A champion and one of the best to play the game. Can't help but feel he has been on the decline in the last few seasons yet is still mentioned/rated as one of the best in the league. For mine, he would be outside the top 5 mids currently.
8. Clark (and Dawes) - A lot of money and a lot of press coverage covering these moves. Clark did back up and show some talent before injury in 2012 but still not convinced he should be on that kind of money just yet. Dawes I reckon will be in the same boat but has less talent that Clark.
9. Cloke - after this season, has shown he struggled. Remains to be seen if he can get back to his 2011 vintage. In 2011, he admittedly played out of his skin compared to anything else he has managed to produce. Contract settled, he may get back to those heights.
10. Buddy - Went with a bit of a controversial selection here. Buddy is a flawed genius, capable of the impossible, susceptible to the seemingly straightforward (a bit like Richo). He's a superstar and in 2012 he had (by his standards) probably a relatively poor year. Iron out his wayward kicking and a few other deficiencies and he would be almost unplayable.

If you have to mention a 0 game rookie in your post then you have some issues to address.

Woosh.

Missing the point as per usual, every one of the players named has been mentioned as being over rated.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Woosh.

Missing the point as per usual, every one of the players named has been mentioned as being over rated.

opps I also forgot Ryder, Stants and Monfries.
I had to laugh when I read Monfries as overrated.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Lol - we play you in the 2nd half of the season when your season is in the toilet. Every team requested Essendon after round 12. But book the seats I am more than happy to sit next to you.

consider it done.
it will be the 1st time since the 2000 final that I actually look forward to playing you guys.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
consider it done.
it will be the 1st time since the 2000 final that I actually look forward to playing you guys.

Seeing as though we have owend you since then it must be tough for you too get excited about the games.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Seeing as though we have owend you since then it must be tough for you too get excited about the games.

It is kinda like playing St Kilda, Bulldogs, Sydney ect just not as interested, but playing Collingwood and Carlton get me up and about.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is kinda like playing St Kilda, Bulldogs, Sydney ect just not as interested, but playing Collingwood and Carlton get me up and about.
Collingwood biggest rival is Carlton. Carlton's biggest rival is Collingwood. Like us with Essendon you are the little brother in the relationship. Annoying but not the most important.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe, But I think Carlton supporters would rather any other club in the land to win a premiership before Essendon, including Collingwood.
Rivalries only mean so much, but while Essendon & Carlton both have 16 premierships, each team would see the other as pure filth.

Essendon hate Carlton more than Carlton hate Essendon. And we hate Essendon more than they hate us.

It's just a fact of life.

Carlton IMO would probably hate Collingwood & Richmond more than Essendon.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon hate Carlton more than Carlton hate Essendon. And we hate Essendon more than they hate us.

It's just a fact of life.

Carlton IMO would probably hate Collingwood & Richmond more than Essendon.

Who would Carlton fans want win the next flag Coll or Ess?
surely not Ess to 17 1st.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who would Carlton fans want win the next flag Coll or Ess?
surely not Ess to 17 1st.

That does not mean you have a greater rivalry. That is just a crappy d!ck measuring comp about most premierships. Go to the poll board about biggest rivalry and look at the results and the Carlton and Collingwood supporter comments – Collingwood V Carlton are clearly number 1.

It is ok to be the little annoying brother.

Back