NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

A rumour circulating in Sydney, from a dubious "deep throat" source that the Swans and Giants are to play in the Northern comp next year to overcome listed-player restrictions.
I doubt that the rumour has any cred but I'd be interested to hear anything one way or the other.

AND AND AND it will move us along a bit from ABH and AFC2 lobbing hand grenades at each other

That's a pretty impressive set-up. How old is Dragicevic? I have it in the back of my mind he'd be a few years older than Houlihan & Buchannan. How much game time will he be giving himself do you think?
I'd put Draga at a bit over 30 - about the same age as Amon and Houlihan. It's all on Google if we want to look but I can't be bothered.
Mind you, Houlihan looks a whole lot more fit (maybe it's the dreamboat hair-do and suntan), and I bet that Amon is pretty fit too.
I only saw Draga play once last year and he played most of the game...seems more like a "Do-er" than a "talk-er". The Eagles could probably do with a bit more in-and-under and he might need to fill that role.

A rumour circulating in Sydney, from a dubious "deep throat" source that the Swans and Giants are to play in the Northern comp next year to overcome listed-player restrictions.
I doubt that the rumour has any cred but I'd be interested to hear anything one way or the other.

AND AND AND it will move us along a bit from ABH and AFC2 lobbing hand grenades at each other
May be right off the mark but I am pretty sure that the Northern has the same rules for the AFL teams as the Eastern would. Don't think the Lions and the Suns would be getting better treament than the Giants or Swans are down here.
I very much doubt that if the Swans wanted to fly their players interstate each 2nd week that it would be North, if they were going to do that it would be South to the VFL but the cost implimentations were too large and thats why they were in the Canberra AFL and then the NEAFL.

That is incorrect, a draft of the 2013 fixture has been released the 2 afl clubs are in the eastern comp

May be right off the mark but I am pretty sure that the Northern has the same rules for the AFL teams as the Eastern would. Don't think the Lions and the Suns would be getting better treament than the Giants or Swans are down here.
I very much doubt that if the Swans wanted to fly their players interstate each 2nd week that it would be North, if they were going to do that it would be South to the VFL but the cost implimentations were too large and thats why they were in the Canberra AFL and then the NEAFL.

Incorrect the Suns and Lions are allowed to play more players in the Northern conference during season and in finals. Lions were allowed 18 listed in finals last year from memory Swans can only play 12 or 14.

But no the Swans and GWS will not be heading north next year.

The news is finally out there that Gilmore is to be Head Coach at Sydney Uni. Reading through the press release, it's all about 'high performance', 'player development', 'elite', 'talent', and "...we aim at becoming a player development partner to the AFL”.
Which I think is code for "we want the Swans to love us and embrace us". Like Jarod Crouch says about the Swans reserves, they want to develop players ready for higher duties rather than winning premierships.
I reckon the East Coast Eagles are thinking the same way about their cosy relationship with the Giants, and I think this is how NEAFL is going to develop now.

You really have to be in the programme of player advancement to be in the contest now. Premierships are secondary.

They might be happy with that, ABH, but tell you what they WON'T be happy with....only one premier at year's end and that team will be the winner of the cross-conference GF.

The odds of your Tigers going back-to-back have just blown out of the water !

They are obviously committed to the NEAFL concept. I thought they may ditch the cross conference GF but they have gone the other way to make it "the GF". Fair enough I suppose but obviously one of the teams has to travel and I feel a bit for the supporters that cant watch their team in a GF.

Just went through the 2013 draw and have nutted out who I thought would win each game.

Please note that this is Dec and big names could still be signed and key players could yet become injured.

Anyways here is how I think the table will be at the close of the home and away season.

Swans - Will be the team to beat again
Qbn - Have retained the majority of the Premiership side and should continue to play well in 2013
Hills - Have recruited well and with last seasons taste of final should go further
Ainslie - Had injuries to key players last season and if all fit will be amongst it
Eastlake - Not sure how they are tracking at the moment
UWS - Will improve and a lot will depend on line ups but seem to have a tough draw
Belconnen - Will again find it tough
Uni - Will struggle again
Tuggeranong - Will struggle all season

Feel free to throw criticism at it with reasoning behind it.

Just went through the 2013 draw and have nutted out who I thought would win each game.

Please note that this is Dec and big names could still be signed and key players could yet become injured.

Anyways here is how I think the table will be at the close of the home and away season.

Swans - Will be the team to beat again
Qbn - Have retained the majority of the Premiership side and should continue to play well in 2013
Hills - Have recruited well and with last seasons taste of final should go further
Ainslie - Had injuries to key players last season and if all fit will be amongst it
Eastlake - Not sure how they are tracking at the moment
UWS - Will improve and a lot will depend on line ups but seem to have a tough draw
Belconnen - Will again find it tough
Tuggeranong - Will struggle all season

Feel free to throw criticism at it with reasoning behind it.

Just tipping that Sydney uni will be strong enough to make it onto the ladder and finish ahead of tuggeranong who in my opinion may not win a game. Your other predictions look ok although I expect the swans to come back to the field as a few mature players were delisted and also all afl lists have 2 less rookies next season. Hills have got a couple and will improve and ainslie and east lake are always contenders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just tipping that Sydney uni will be strong enough to make it onto the ladder and finish ahead of tuggeranong who in my opinion may not win a game. Your other predictions look ok although I expect the swans to come back to the field as a few mature players were delisted and also all afl lists have 2 less rookies next season. Hills have got a couple and will improve and ainslie and east lake are always contenders

Ah yes sorry I had them with 3 wins but neglected to put them in...apologies to any Uni fans

2010premier, how do you think the Eastern sides will cope in the below games.

Labrador v Queanbeyan
Ainslie v Morningside
Hills v Southport
Queanbeyan v Aspley
Morningside v Uni
Broadbeach v Ainslie
Mt Gravatt v Belconnen
Tuggeranong v Mt Gravatt
Aspley v Tuggeranong
Belconnen v Broadbeach
Uni v Labrador
Eastlake v Redland
Redland v Hils
Southport v Eastlake

So the new finals set up is to ensure that the NEAFL championship game has some meaning. The conference final is a GF but not a GF! No medals and no cup will be given to the conference winning team. No doubt it's been done to try and keep the players focused on the championship game and not kicking the premiership cup sideways down Cavill Ave!!

Wow did not realise you would get nothing for winning your conference. Guess we will get use to it over time but it does not sit well at the minute.

Reckon they need to dangle automatic entry into Foxtel Cup as a carrot to the Cross Conference winner instead of our boys having qualification games.

my understanding is that teams will still play off for the premiership in their respective conferences but it won't be called a 'Grand Final', it may be called the 'Eastern Conference Final'. Similar to the NBA I would imagine.

Both conferences of the NEAFL are recognised 'as one' so there will be only one GF.

You stop the clock after you win the Eastern conference then give yourselves a hi-five for being the best in the East....
...but it would be a bit like drawing the line after winning the Prelim final

2010premier, how do you think the Eastern sides will cope in the below games.

Labrador v Queanbeyan
Ainslie v Morningside
Hills v Southport
Queanbeyan v Aspley
Morningside v Uni
Broadbeach v Ainslie
Mt Gravatt v Belconnen
Tuggeranong v Mt Gravatt
Aspley v Tuggeranong
Belconnen v Broadbeach
Uni v Labrador
Eastlake v Redland
Redland v Hils
Southport v Eastlake

I am of the belief that the Nth Conf is still a bit stronger than the East but the gap narrowing. Here goes winners in bold.

Labrador v Queanbeyan
Ainslie v Morningside
Hills v Southport
Queanbeyan v Aspley
Morningside v Uni
Broadbeach v Ainslie
Mt Gravatt v Belconnen
Tuggeranong v Mt Gravatt
Aspley v Tuggeranong
Belconnen v Broadbeach
Uni v Labrador
Eastlake v Redland
Redland v Hils
Southport v Eastlake

Based on that Nth 10 vs East 4 probably about how it will finish. The top sides in the East are pretty close to the Nth teams IMO but I reckon Tuggeranong, Uni and Belco would be ranked 17-19 in the 19 team NEAFL comp.

Seven of the kids drafted today have played NEAFL this year - I reckon that's a record for NSW kids getting drafted in one year. Good luck to all of them for a long and successful career in AFL footy.

But they all played for Sydney clubs - not a Canberra/Qbn name in sight. Joe Redfern comes from the Riverina somewhere (that's somewhere near Canberra isn't it ?) but his car missed the Yass turn-off to Canberra and drove straight up the highway to the big smoke.

It makes me think that a kid has to be living in Sydney to get noticed. Correct ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back