Solved The Bodies in the Barrels - SNOWTOWN

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Had to study this in Year 10 Legal Studies, and the detailing of these murders were quite sickening... To think Bunting, Wagner, Vlassakis etc. were going around and doing these horrific murders and doing it for nearly a decade is just shocking.

Thank goodness that they were finally caught and were sentenced to life imprisonment... To think this all stemmed from their homophobia (which was a bit hypocritical too)...

They killed 12 people, whom they believed were either of a homosexual preference or a sexual predator of young children. Some of them were, but some were unjustly killed even though they were not. Some of the circumstances in the killings were very disgusting and always amplified after each murder, to the point where torture was present and killing whilst listening to their favourite songs.

This is also known as the 'Snowtown Murders', but only one of the victims were killed in Snowtown, so as my teacher once said, "It's a bit misleading calling it Snowtown Murders as only one was killed in the town. Obviously the bodies were kept in a Snowtown bank, it is still misleading... Bodies in the Barrels is the right way of calling the case...!"

So there you have it... One of the most horrendous cases of murder in South Australian and Australian Criminal History...

This one concerned me the most. The whole idea of multiple killers setting you up to murder you, leaving you with zero chance of defending yourself, and the gruesome way they did it, well it just seems like it could have happened to anybody. I lived in a country town for several months. It just makes you question everybody you know.

There is something pretty unnerving about randoms like these, existing on the fringes of society, essentially setting themselves up as some sort of vigilante outfit- "let's kill 'im cos he touches kiddies and is a NTTAWWT".

The fact they nabbed people who actually were neither pedophiles or homosexuals is the really scary bit. And that is meant with no disrespect to homosexuals at all- it's scary because it can make you think that, for all you know, there could be a freak in the shadows pigeon-holing you as something evil in their narrow, hateful and sadistic minds.

****. This. I never watched this episode of CIA, but I always wince when anyone mentions sparklers now.
You said (in the other thread) you watched CIA at 14yo wow bit young to be watching that show.Bloody good show though i really enjoyed the show i though they did a good job.

Had to study this in Year 10 Legal Studies, and the detailing of these murders were quite sickening... To think Bunting, Wagner, Vlassakis etc. were going around and doing these horrific murders and doing it for nearly a decade is just shocking.

Thank goodness that they were finally caught and were sentenced to life imprisonment... To think this all stemmed from their homophobia (which was a bit hypocritical too)...

They killed 12 people, whom they believed were either of a homosexual preference or a sexual predator of young children. Some of them were, but some were unjustly killed even though they were not. Some of the circumstances in the killings were very disgusting and always amplified after each murder, to the point where torture was present and killing whilst listening to their favourite songs.

This is also known as the 'Snowtown Murders', but only one of the victims were killed in Snowtown, so as my teacher once said, "It's a bit misleading calling it Snowtown Murders as only one was killed in the town. Obviously the bodies were kept in a Snowtown bank, it is still misleading... Bodies in the Barrels is the right way of calling the case...!"

So there you have it... One of the most horrendous cases of murder in South Australian and Australian Criminal History...

Sorry to break it to your teacher but most people refer to this, rightly or wrongly, as the Snowtown murders and there was even a feature film with that title, so that won't change

They play the Snowtown movie on Foxtel a fair bit. I watched it once and have to say it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to watch. Just sickening, disturbing, macabre etc etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did'nt they stuff up and use the wrong chemical products and preserve the bodys? From mermory they thought they had chemicals that would eat away the bodies.Thank god they were caught.

Yes, it probably was a stuff up. They used hydrochloric acid, which merely mummified, rather than dissolved, the bodies.

Barry Lane was Jamie Vlassakis's former partner...

No, I think that Barry Lane was Wagner's former partner. Hypocritical when you think they one of the groups they targeted, or reasons they had for murdering people, was they thought were homosexuals.

Sorry to break it to your teacher but most people refer to this, rightly or wrongly, as the Snowtown murders and there was even a feature film with that title, so that won't change
I realise the wider community refer to the murders as such, but it isn't an accurate title for it... Alas, it doesn't really matter what it's called I guess, either title is fine...
No, I think that Barry Lane was Wagner's former partner. Hypocritical when you think they one of the groups they targeted, or reasons they had for murdering people, was they thought were homosexuals.
Whoops! Yeah, Lane was the former partner of Wagner... Exactly agree with you there, such hypocrisy for a so called 'vigilante' group... Sickening.

The bit that has always surprised me is, when the barrels were being kept at Hayden's place, surely the smell would have gradually got so bad that neighbours would have started to suspect something.

Hydrochloric acid or not, that many bodies in barrels, sitting there for that long, would create one hell of a stink.

I can't even begin to imagine the horror when they uncovered the barrels in the bank.

The bit that has always surprised me is, when the barrels were being kept at Hayden's place, surely the smell would have gradually got so bad that neighbours would have started to suspect something.

Hydrochloric acid or not, that many bodies in barrels, sitting there for that long, would create one hell of a stink.

I can't even begin to imagine the horror when they uncovered the barrels in the bank.
They were kept in Hayden's car if I can remember correctly, and soon enough, the barrels and smell was just too much, hence why the move to the Bank Vault.

Police officers and such said that the smell from the car when they found it was putrid...

I met one of the victims about 6 months or so before he was killed. He used to come into where I was working, but suddenly stopped. Didn't give much thought to it until I heard on the radio one day he was a victim.

Was an eerie feeling.

Terrible, terrible situation. And unfortunately for Snowtown they became associated with the murders in a similar way to Truro, in that they were also linked to murders, in that case it was 2 decades earlier - late 70's ("Truro murders").

Gary O'Dwyer seemed to cop the worst torture of all the victims without even fitting the homosexual or paedophile profile of some of the earlier victims. Just a guy who lived on the wrong street at the wrong time.

Susan Mitchell's All Things Bright and Beautiful is a chilling but good read on the subject. One of the points she made was that Bunting was able to get away with what he was doing for so long is because those he killed lived on the fringes of society, often estranged from family, and when they went missing, no one noticed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back