Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A couple of early predictions:

Premier: NT Thunder
Smokey: Redlands
Spoon: Mt Gravatt
Hughson medallist: Ewing
Grogan: Dignan, Geary, Stiller (3 way tie)

Nth Conf teams to qualify for Foxtel Cup but then beaten in rd 1.
Lions to come back to the field and possibly miss finals-Suns to be the stronger of the AFL clubs.
Qld/NT to perform admirably against SANFL but lose by 6-7 goals.
A better result at the draft for QLD than this year.

staminade

Senior List
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aspley throwing everything at Ben Warren to return home. At least they are chasing one of their juniors not overpaid recruits who leave after 1 year. John Blairs influence?

staminade

Senior List
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Lions to come back to the field and possibly miss finals-Suns to be the stronger of the AFL clubs.
Don't think Redlands is a smoky. Lost their semi to Southport after siren. 1 second away from reaching prelim.

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

You have last years premiers missing the finals. Wowee!
Smoky for me will be Morningside, will definitely make the finals, and then some!
Nt will finish in the top 2 no doubt.
Same situation as last year, lions,suns and nt make finals leaving all other clubs playing for 2 spots.
State game will be interesting. Where in Qld will the game be played I wonder, most likely yeronga with its great atmosphere!!!

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Smoky for me will be Morningside, will definitely make the finals, and then some!
Same situation as last year, lions,suns and nt make finals leaving all other clubs playing for 2 spots.
State game will be interesting. Where in Qld will the game be played I wonder, most likely yeronga with its great atmosphere!!!
the state game will be played in south australia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
did southport request the night games they are getting. are they upgrading the lighting at frankhauser
I did hear about there lights.. Night footy would be good down there... And where is the state game played.. Adelaide oval would be nice

thunderdoc

Team Captain
May 27, 2010
dimboola
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

dogwarna must be standing too close to the airplane exhaust at the airport !!
Morningside should improve on last year's effort but finals is a huge expectation with their very very young list.
Certainies for finals - Lions, suns, thunder, southport. Redlands hot favourites for 5th spot. forget the rest !

If AFL clubs don't make finals with present rules allowing 18 listed players and access to top ups there needs to be serious questions asked about their recruiting. thought the draw would line up AFL club vs AFL club early in year but notice Morningside play Lions in Round 2. Playing AFL clubs late in season with significant injury list is a huge advantage to the non-AFL clubs.

With regards to night games at Southport - surely that is only for games against other Coast clubs. Totally unreasonable expectation for Brisbane clubs to travel home late at night, unless Southport provide accomodation overnight !!

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
dogwarna must be standing too close to the airplane exhaust at the airport !!
Morningside should improve on last year's effort but finals is a huge expectation with their very very young list.
Certainies for finals - Lions, suns, thunder, southport. Redlands hot favourites for 5th spot. forget the rest !

If AFL clubs don't make finals with present rules allowing 18 listed players and access to top ups there needs to be serious questions asked about their recruiting. thought the draw would line up AFL club vs AFL club early in year but notice Morningside play Lions in Round 2. Playing AFL clubs late in season with significant injury list is a huge advantage to the non-AFL clubs.

With regards to night games at Southport - surely that is only for games against other Coast clubs. Totally unreasonable expectation for Brisbane clubs to travel home late at night, unless Southport provide accomodation overnight !!

Gee whiz Doc, the u18s this year played after nearly every PHC game! Not sure what happened with the NEAFL 18s but imo reckon night games in Qld are commonsense, esp early or later in the season. Seniors aren't that old these days are they?

Re the AFL clubs 2nds - 100% agree. The other sides just can't compete with these 2 sides IF injuries don't belt them around.

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Gee whiz Doc, the u18s this year played after nearly every PHC game! Not sure what happened with the NEAFL 18s but imo reckon night games in Qld are commonsense, esp early or later in the season. Seniors aren't that old these days are they?

Re the AFL clubs 2nds - 100% agree. The other sides just can't compete with these 2 sides IF injuries don't belt them around.
That's a highly questionable statement re u think others cant compete against the AFL teams. That's the nicest way I could explain my frustration. I wish it was open slather and you could play 18 listed on the park. It purely forces the other teams to improve and become more and more professional, create better cultures, educate coaches, club continue to only train 2 nights a week. And you think they will compete doing that. And it doesn't cost any money or a lot anyway, Morningside have proven that over the last decade. The lions team that rolled southport in the early 2000's was a ripper, there top ups, some of them went onto be very very good state league footballers. Southport lost by about 8 pts I think, and I know for a fact they trained hard and they trained long. They new they may not match the lions for talent but if they could match them in some way fitness wise and had there best team on the paddock they could give the lions a run, and they nearly pulled it off.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
friday night games between coast and brisbane teams would be ridiculous. but i think it's all coast games for both. but the 18s would be a worry if you're a coast team or a brisbane team that plays after the seniors on a sunday which has happened at southport and i know it for certain. maroochydore played southport in an under 18s game on a sunday at sothport and same with aspley last year. blame the league

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it co incidence that the last home and away fixture has NT at home for 3rd time in a row.Sure they don't want to travel a week before finals(will play at home again),but then again other teams don't want to play in Darwin a week out from start of their finals preparations.Play it in Alice as both teams have to travel.

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
SANFl,WAFL and VFL have game of the day live on ABC. NEAFL should be heading that way to expose our very improving competition. Costs $ but has to be done.
Agree chicka, Neafl eastern spend upwards of $100000 producing that football show which is actually very good. Neafl northern spend $20000 preferring to spend more on development. We seem to have lost our Friday night slot on foxtel, Funky Millar did give me the reason why, but I can't remember.
As for night games I would fixture in a way that it doesn't clash with either suns or lions games weather home or away, hard to do I know but just try to get the best exposure.
Also we need to admit that our print media coverage is nothing short of shithouse up here.

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree chicka, Neafl eastern spend upwards of $100000 producing that football show which is actually very good. Neafl northern spend $20000 preferring to spend more on development. We seem to have lost our Friday night slot on foxtel, Funky Millar did give me the reason why, but I can't remember.
As for night games I would fixture in a way that it doesn't clash with either suns or lions games weather home or away, hard to do I know but just try to get the best exposure.
Also we need to admit that our print media coverage is nothing short of shithouse up here.
Assume our print media will only get worse after AFL finish the investigation into the Tippett debacle. His manager will surely be de registered. Then NEAFL has to make the decision weather to allow him to do match reports.They banished a previous employee for less.

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe we can get Thundervision for every game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back