Best left arm spinner ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this pre or post the supposed 15degrees of arm 'deviation'?. Some of the 'bowling' I've seen lately is just out & out throwing. Changing the rules & sidelining the umpire has led to the huge increase in this type of bowler becoming successful.

Derek Underwood.
Hedley Verity.
Wilfred Rhodes.
Johhny Briggs.
Bobby Peel.

Interesting that the Poms have had quite a few, and we've had hardly any (we have leggies instead).

From other countries, Alf Valentine was pretty good, as was Bedi and herath is building a good record.

Johnny Briggs for some legendary performances.

No contest, Bishen Bedi. To watch him drifting and turning with 2 close in fielders either side of the pitch was a pure delight. Deadly Derek Underwood was unplayable on his day, but needed conditions to suit him in order to dominate. Vettori's very good also, but Bedi was the classic off-spinner. Gary Sobers used to bowl them pretty well. Ray Bright was pretty good until too much bowling to world class batsmen in WSC saw him flatten out his bowling to suit one day cricket.

Why don't we see more left arm spinners? Because they all seem to take the soft option of bowling othodox around the wicket and push the ball through. Whereas this is okay for the shortened form of the game, they will never gain success at Test level.

When I was a boy, I loved watching David Sincock, a left arm chinaman bowler for SA. He could turn the ball like you wouldn't believe, but unfortunately lacked consistency with control. Very successful at Sheffield Shield level but struggled in Tests.

In the last 30 years since I have been watching Test cricket the best left arm orthodox bowlers from each country have been in no particular order-

England:
Underwood, Tufnell, Edmonds, Illingworth, Panesar

Australia:
Border, Hogan, Bright, Bennett, Clarke

New Zealand:
Boock, Vettori

West Indies:
Gomes, Adams, Benn, Permaul

South Africa:
Peterson, Harris

Pakistan:
Sohail, Rehman

India:
Bedi, Doshi, Shastri, Raju, Ohja

Sri Lanka:
Jayasuria, Herath

Bangladesh:
Al Hasan, Razzak

Zimbabwe:
G. Flower

Fair to say other than Bedi, Underwood, Vettori & maybe a couple of others it is a very thin list (I may have missed a couple as well).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the last 30 years since I have been watching Test cricket the best left arm orthodox bowlers from each country have been in no particular order-

India:
Bedi, Doshi, Shastri, Raju, Ohja

Fair to say other than Bedi, Underwood, Vettori & maybe a couple of others it is a very thin list (I may have missed a couple as well).
was there someone named doshi as well or did you mean sunil joshi?

From my 45 years of watching test cricket, it would have to be Derek Underwood as he was nearly unplayable
when the conditions where in his favour. From the purist angle, some might say that Bedi was better because he flighted and drifted the ball, whereas "Deadly Derek" wasn't truly a spin bowler as he bowled at almost slow medium pace at times and could cut and even swing the ball, as well turn it.

Actually another topic you could discuss would be who was "the best Test keeper" to slow bowling ... and if you watched Alan Knott in tandem with his English and Kent team mate, Underwood, there would be no doubt who the No. 1 keeper to slowies would be.

In recent times Vettori would be the best, and from the vault, Rhodes and Verity have the figures and longevity to say that they must have been something special in their day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back