SANFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

LBJ23

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2004
Other Teams
GlenelgFC & AdelaideFC
Is there a DVD/VIDEO on the SANFL history/highlights? would be good if the abc/ch9 put something like this together, up until the 90's before the crows and power went in, when the comp was a lot stronger. I'm sure there would be some pretty damn good goals/marks and games in general back then(could be done club by club, each decade, etc)...sort of like how they have footy flashbacks for the VFL.

I've been watching a bit of Fox Footy lately and there have been showing a few old VFL games, but none of the SANFL, surely Fox Footy could start to show some games from the other leagues instead of repeating the same replays over and over again...

I'm not so sure the SANFL was 'a lot stonger' before the crows and power. I've got plenty of footage from the old days and the skills on display are more likely to make you laugh than anything else. Eg. I think Brian Cunningham was the only footy player back in the 80's that could kick with both feet!

The SANFL was a lot stronger competion, according to stats, its believed they use to attract 20,000 to some home/away matches, try achieving that today.

Would you believe the biggest SANFL crowd in the 90s. Was the 1990 Grand Final Port vs Glenelg, well over 50,000. You just wouldn't get these crowds again in the modern era.

Esciapply how AMMI stadium capity has now been reduced.

I wonder who has the right for the SANFL achieves, Channel 9?, Channel 2 ?..

It would be good to to see, wouldnt mind seeing the young players in action before they became AFL stars, such as Malcom Blight, John Platten, Nathan Buckley (but then was that before 91?)

Thats true cam, some of the footy back then wasn't up to standard to todays, back then the VFL comp wasn't either but in the mid to late 70's & 80's there where some very good footy being played...I think Channel 9 had SANFL games back then footyboy, but i'm not sure if they still have the rights or if someone else bought the old footage like the abc, now that they telecast the games now.

Good luck. I was onto ABC2 for 15 years about releasing highlights packages of the 1974-75 Test Cricket series against England. Finally it was released last year, they don't move real quick.

There have been the odd video released, most of them in the early 1980s. Portrait of Champions was one, and they had a series of "The Season That Was", highlights for the season, but I don't know how many seasons they covered.

Best I've seen was a documentary by Channel 7 in 1985 called "That Grand Final Feeling". It was hosted by Peter Marker and covered SANFL Grand Finals from the early 1950s to 1984. I don't think it was ever released on video.

But you are correct, the SANFL should be looking at ways to market itself, and it could find worse ways to start than by releasing some highlight packages on DVD. But I doubt it will ever happen, they are apathetic when it comes to product promotion.

Football before the crows ........ ahhhhhhhh ........ memories ...........

Have watched some of the old sanfl games on fox footy mainly invovling port adelaide magpies back in the 70's , tho my son watched 1993 g/f between eagles and norwood the other week .

Was funny remembering footy park with no seats etc

cheers

Unfortunately C9 had a fire in the 70s or 80s which burnt all their old stuff and C2 recycle their tapes so their isn't much around.

I've got the 71 and 72 GF as well as lot of stuff from the 80s and 90s. I also have every North win from last year and this year and plan to keep collecting them for ever on DVD.

Foxfooty used to show a lot of old GFs when they had 2 channels with one dedicated to each state but for some reason don't seem to see fit to show them now its a national channel, a shame.

Even though my beloved Roosters lost the 73 Grand Final I can't recommend highly enough for any footy lovers to get their hands on this game as it was probably the best game of footy I've ever seen, only North GF loss that I can watch without breaking out into tears. ;)

I have the 76 gf on tape and I have the 84 Sturt season highlights. Also have the 66 - 70 gfs and used to have The way it was 81 and 82 i think. Also have the 2002 gf, i recommend that one as it was an absolutely brilliant match!!! ;)

oh and about sanfl pre 91.....your kidding guys, it was much stronger than it is now. players like Bagshaw, Davies, Motley from Sturt just to name a few were brilliant and there were many more players from other teams that were fantastic too!!!!!!! Even tho ive only been around following SANFL since about 88 (as far back as i can remember) I have seen enough old footage to understand that I am missing out on the best the SANFL had to offer. If you can get your hands on any old footage, its worth it. But this is the era I live in and all I'll get to see and I love it!!!!! :D

Agreed about the pre 91 era, North Adelaide tore Melbourne and Collingwood (in Melbourne) new ones in 86 as well as disposing of Carlton in 72.
Norwood easily beat Geelong in 85 too.

Wouldn't get within 20 goals these days.

The 87 North GF side played an awesome brand of footy, probably more skillfull and prettier to watch than a lot of current AFL sides although they'd be behind as far as athleticism and muscle is concerned but that's just the evolution of the game (not necessary a good one).

You'd find a lot of old SANFL vids at Videos Direct 2 U in Adelaide. Not DVD mind you.

Fox Footy Extra showed the odd SANFL oldie or two but they scrapped that the lousy f@#!ers.

Recommended viewing other than what has been suggested so far would probably have to be the 1984 Grand Final between Norwood and Port Adelaide.

And yes the 1976 GF too... the only time you'll ever see AAMI... sorry, Football Park filled past its capacity!!!

Adelaide Hawk said:
Good luck. I was onto ABC2 for 15 years about releasing highlights packages of the 1974-75 Test Cricket series against England. Finally it was released last year, they don't move real quick.

There have been the odd video released, most of them in the early 1980s. Portrait of Champions was one, and they had a series of "The Season That Was", highlights for the season, but I don't know how many seasons they covered.

Best I've seen was a documentary by Channel 7 in 1985 called "That Grand Final Feeling". It was hosted by Peter Marker and covered SANFL Grand Finals from the early 1950s to 1984. I don't think it was ever released on video.

But you are correct, the SANFL should be looking at ways to market itself, and it could find worse ways to start than by releasing some highlight packages on DVD. But I doubt it will ever happen, they are apathetic when it comes to product promotion.

Football before the crows ........ ahhhhhhhh ........ memories ...........

No i won't hear it............they had a whole four pages in the Advertiser when the SANFL hall of fame was announced. :rolleyes:

I agree that the show That Grand Final Feeling was the best doco I've ever seen on the SANFL. That would make a great DVD.
As raboyle mentioned Videos direct to U have a range of sorts but that is getting thin. I remember trying to get the 76 GF for a Sturt mate last year and no go but they had 74 (but not the complete game).

Channel 2 use to do at least one game a week (back in the early 70's) and had stacks of stuff but I am reliably informed that the tapes were taped over to save money :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raboyle said:
Recommended viewing other than what has been suggested so far would probably have to be the 1984 Grand Final between Norwood and Port Adelaide.

:eek:

To this day, I still haven't seen the replay. I probably never will.

Being there on the day was enough for me.

And even though the mighty Maggies have won 9 premierships to Norwood's one since then, that loss still rankles.

On the other hand...I would love to get a copy of the '96 Prelim.

LBJ23 said:
Is there a DVD/VIDEO on the SANFL history/highlights? would be good if the abc/ch9 put something like this together, up until the 90's before the crows and power went in, when the comp was a lot stronger. I'm sure there would be some pretty damn good goals/marks and games in general back then(could be done club by club, each decade, etc)...sort of like how they have footy flashbacks for the VFL.

LBJ you just wanna see Glenelg play some decent football :D

I have 'The Way it Was 81' which is pretty good. Plenty of brawls (Granger and Balme feature prominantly), marks, goals, sections on individual players and highlights of all the finals.

There was also year review videos released on seperate clubs as well. I have Port '84 which features highlights from a large number of games that year.

Other than that the only SANFL tapes i have are Port Grand Finals, Finals and the odd minor round classic here and there.

RoosterWedgie said:
Agreed about the pre 91 era, North Adelaide tore Melbourne and Collingwood (in Melbourne) new ones in 86 as well as disposing of Carlton in 72.
Norwood easily beat Geelong in 85 too.

Wouldn't get within 20 goals these days.

The 87 North GF side played an awesome brand of footy, probably more skillfull and prettier to watch than a lot of current AFL sides although they'd be behind as far as athleticism and muscle is concerned but that's just the evolution of the game (not necessary a good one).

I have a video of a match at Norwood Oval in 1976, an NFL night match where Norwood beat Carlton by 102 points. Not a great copy, but interesting viewing ... and I can pick myself in the crowd :)

Norwood were one hell of a side in those days.

I've got every Grand Final from 65 onwards(some aren't the entire match), got all "the way it was" videos from 81-90 except 86(Woodville's 'year') as it seems it wasn't produced that year. Got most of ABC's live Saturday stuff from 93 onwards. Sturt season highlights from 80, 83 and 84 and a couple of other clubs season highlights videos from 83/84. Also a video titled "Portrait of Champions" which was from about 80-81ish and also "the Russell Ebert story" and "the Barrie Robran story".

sapaul said:
I've got every Grand Final from 65 onwards(some aren't the entire match), got all "the way it was" videos from 81-90 except 86(Woodville's 'year') as it seems it wasn't produced that year.

:mad: Am very annoyed about that. I remember for ages trying to track down highlights of the 86 season. Still to this day my most memorable year ever witnessed (Well from Round 11 onwards ;) ) How many teams can honestly say their team knocked Norwood AND Port out of the finals in successive weeks :D

Riddler said:
LBJ you just wanna see Glenelg play some decent football :D

Yeah you could be right there Ridds, just seen this the other day on another web site.....

From 77-90 we had a 63% success rate, made the finals 12 times, 2 flags, no spoons, but 6 times runners up :(

Not bad ey, must be at least a couple of games i can have a look at, hey mate. :D

On another note....The SANFL should definately invest in trying to put something together, as i think there are a lot of people out there that would be interested in buying a copy....

GrahamH said:

:mad: Am very annoyed about that. I remember for ages trying to track down highlights of the 86 season. Still to this day my most memorable year ever witnessed (Well from Round 11 onwards ) How many teams can honestly say their team knocked Norwood AND Port out of the finals in successive weeks :D

Sturt in 2000, the legs in the EF and Port the next week in the 1st semi ;)

Adelaide Hawk said:
I rest my case ... it should have been a 200 page book. It's almost as though SA football is ashamed of its heritage, they pretend footy never existed pre-crows.

Nothing more than a perspective.

I dont think its SA Footy..I think it has more to do with Crows Fans, many of whom are new to the game and never followed SANFL prior...and perhaps much must be attributed to Ports admission to the AFL with their whole history ( 34 SA Premierships, tradition etc)..

once Crows fans acknowledge,Ports premierships mean something...any position of strength they have has gone down the gurgler...How many times have you heard a Crows fan say " but you are in the big league now, those premierships were "Only" in the SANFL"...

With that statement comes firstly a demeaning and disregard for the SANFL..simply to shore up their "But we are better than you" stance.....and also gives more fuel to the position that they Truly saw their clubs as lesser than VFL clubs, prior to conglomerating into one big tribe to play against them. ( the VFL teams )

and finally have fallen into the AFL/Vic/Media driven history propaganda that the VFL/ now new AFL was the only competition in Australia and all other leagues and champions/ clubs were inferior...

Once Crows people acknowledge Ports history..they immediately denounce their Vic aligned position....and we all know that hell will freeze over before that happens...

Your thoughts?

PA1870

Remove this Banner Ad

Back