Workshop Australian Flag

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
Hey all. I know this isnt exactly football related or anything, but it is a graphic design. I came across this and Im sure some of you have too. Nearly every year we have someone come up with a new design for the Australian flag, but this year we have a doctor who has designed something and from the sounds of it, he almosts expects it to be used in the future.
Flag.png
The red boomerang is meant to represent the Union flag with the federation star including 250 dots that represent the many languages spoken by the Aboriginals and Islanders.The fact that the star intersects the red and black is a nod to the Aboriginal flag. The Southern Cross is in green and gold because of the modern sporting colours

Personally, I realy dislike it. To me its an eyesore. But what do you guys think? And what would you have if not our current one?

I hate when people simply add the indigenous flag to replace the union jack on our current one. There are so many issues with it.

Our flag isn't great, but it's fine as it is, and until we become a republic, then it should stay.

No, our flag is s**t. Get rid of the union jack, and you're on a winner.

We have literally no link to the UK anymore, so there's no need for the Union Jack to be in our flag. Establish our own identity through a flag that actually represents Australia.

Australia and the NZ by my knowledge are the only two countries in the commonwealth (or formerly of the commonwealth) that still retain the union jack. Fiji have recently decided to get a new flag.

You'd want to get the design spot on, but as it is the flag is poor.

Are there any sporting teams out there whose logo have completely different colours to their outfits?

It seems bizarre to me that our flag should be anything but green and gold.

I'd * the Union Jack off, change the navy to green and the white to gold. Ta-da.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Are there any sporting teams out there whose logo have completely different colours to their outfits?

I'd **** the Union Jack off, change the navy to green and the white to gold. Ta-da.
They're our sporting colours because when we first competed in sport as Australia we were mostly playing against England.
So we wore Green & Gold to differentiate ourselves from them, who were Red White & Blue in various forms.
And I's also add India to NZ, Netherlands and Italy as a country whose sporting colours are not their flag colours.
India wears Blue or Light Blue in sports.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Aside from the possible "we aren't giving any props to the indigenous people with this flag, either" side of the issue

Don't even get me started on that, any new flag should NOT acknowledge any specific ethnic group in this country. Doing so will mean that they are of a higher and more respected level to the rest of the nation. A truly national flag will be a flag for all and will only represent the nation as a whole.

Australia and the NZ by my knowledge are the only two countries in the commonwealth (or formerly of the commonwealth) that still retain the union jack. Fiji have recently decided to get a new flag.

Australia, New Zealand, Tuvalu, Fiji (for now), Cook Islands, Bermuda and Niue all still use the Union Jack in their national flags.

Many nations use different colours to their flags;

Netherlands, New Zealand, Japan, Italy, India, Cyprus, Germany (to a point), Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Venezuela, I am sure there are others as well

The eureka flag is the perfect flag to adopt if we become a Republic

Um, I don't think that would go over very well.

Australia, New Zealand, Tuvalu, Fiji (for now), Cook Islands, Bermuda and Niue all still use the Union Jack in their national flags.

Some powerhouse nations listed there ;)

Personally, putting the kangaroo on the flag cheapens it, and doesn't really represent Australia IMO.

This is a complete stab in the dark, but I'd say less than 10% of the population have actually seen a Kangaroo in the wild.

Some powerhouse nations listed there ;)

Personally, putting the kangaroo on the flag cheapens it, and doesn't really represent Australia IMO.

This is a complete stab in the dark, but I'd say less than 10% of the population have actually seen a Kangaroo in the wild.

I wouldn't go that far...

Bullshit, it'd be way more than 80% of the population. Kangaroos are out hopping in the suburbs, you know.

Back