Solved The Bodies in the Barrels...

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Agree with HtB, in ten years time Snowtown will be regarded as one of Australia's great movies, an interesting factoid about the movie is that there are no images of cops or cop cars in the film at all.

A factoid is something that is not true but either seems true or is believed.

If in there truly are no images of cops or cop cars, then it is a fact, not a factoid.

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A factoid is something that is not true but either seems true or is believed.

If in there truly are no images of cops or cop cars, then it is a fact, not a factoid.
Is that a fact?

benneth

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good art confronts you.

The performance of Daniel Henshall and the supporting cast is outstanding.

I agree with Jozeph, in time this will be recognised as an Australian cinema masterpiece, much like Wake in Fright.

Hmmm, not so sure about that. I guess only time will tell.

Grizzly_82

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2010
Darwin
AFL Club
Geelong
Saw the film... It was utter s**t and have no idea why it's so lauded on here.

Want a good Aussie movie watch the propersition

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Haven't watched the movie - I intend to watch it one day purely because it's shot in and around Salisbury/Elizabeth and I grew up there. Otherwise I don't have a penchant for gory movies so it's probably why I haven't got around to watching it yet.

I remember it being pretty weird how quickly the entire block of houses where the killings were done in (some buried in the back yard) were knocked down. I also remember how weird it was to have a whole heap of new houses replacing them and the new name 'Hawkesbury Park' -

I guess it makes sense why they would do that, but I still remember thinking it was odd as it was happening...

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haven't watched the movie - I intend to watch it one day purely because it's shot in and around Salisbury/Elizabeth and I grew up there. Otherwise I don't have a penchant for gory movies so it's probably why I haven't got around to watching it yet.

I remember it being pretty weird how quickly the entire block of houses where the killings were done in (some buried in the back yard) were knocked down. I also remember how weird it was to have a whole heap of new houses replacing them and the new name 'Hawkesbury Park' -

I guess it makes sense why they would do that, but I still remember thinking it was odd as it was happening...

from salisbury/elizabeth to melbourne...good for you.

BLPC08

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
A house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Harlem Globetrotters
Agree with HtB, in ten years time Snowtown will be regarded as one of Australia's great movies, an interesting factoid about the movie is that there are no images of cops or cop cars in the film at all.
If that's the case, then it's a major indictment on the Australian Film Industry. The fact that 2 girls 1 cup is more watchable and less traumatic, says it all.

Jun 11, 2011
The Mount
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Test Cricket, Collingwood, WPFC
Can someone who has seen the movie explain the scene with the boy holding the bricks in his undies while Bunting watched?

This scene really disturbed me, more so because they seemed to be alluding to something.

It just came out of nowhere in regards to the story they chose to portray in the film.

A real WTF scene. Definitely means something, otherwise it wouldn't have been used, but it just came and went, with no reasoning.

Chilling.

Can someone who has seen the movie explain the scene with the boy holding the bricks in his undies while Bunting watched?

This scene really disturbed me, more so because they seemed to be alluding to something.

It just came out of nowhere in regards to the story they chose to portray in the film.

A real WTF scene. Definitely means something, otherwise it wouldn't have been used, but it just came and went, with no reasoning.

Chilling.
Liked picking on the " weakest "

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought the film was reasonably well done. It’s obviously very dark and disturbing, but any serious film on this subject would have to be. It’s definitely confronting, which would have to be the aim.

I know some of the actors were extremely inexperienced. They weren’t the best at what they did, but I thought they were reasonable. It didn’t detract too much from the film for me anyway.

Jun 11, 2011
The Mount
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Test Cricket, Collingwood, WPFC
Yeah, it was a grueling film to watch, but as far as film goes it was as good as it gets. In my opinion anyway.

The missus couldn't watch it, but I couldn't take my eyes off of it, even though at the end I felt dirty and violated.

It served its purpose well. One of,the few films that manages to convey the horrible, grimey, paranoid desolateness of these situations and socio demographics. Most of the worlds worst crimes have films produced about them, and very very few portray them in the way they should be. You walk away from this realising fully how evil and messed up these people were. Instead of walking away saying to your missus "that was a great movie, wasn't it crazy the part where he raped and tortured women, he was crazy". Instead, you walk away without words, feeling sick, like you were literally taken into the middle of the mess and have to deal with what you witnessed in your head.

Wolf creek seems funny to me. It's odd, and at times freaky, but I found it more of a piss take.

Macca_1870

All Australian
May 1, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Would be staggered if the courts even pondered the thought of imposing a parole date for Wagner, let alone actually going ahead with it. One of the few characters where literally locking him up and throwing away the key is most appropriate.

Robert Wagner who got life without parole, has launched an application in the Supreme Court to have a non-parole period set.

I hope he's constantly blocked and never sees the slimmest chance of getting out.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...ks-non-parole-release-date-from-jail/10895224
Claims he wants to see his kid & would be better for his mental health if he had parole date.

Sorry, but you lost all these rights & more for your horrendous crimes.

Rot in your cell & don't give a stuff about your mental health. Also, your kid is better off without you!

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
I was born and raised in the Elizabeth/Salisbury area and lived there throughout the entire time this went on.
When the movie was released I went to see it at the Reading Cinema at the Elizabeth shopping centre, to walk out of there and see the same blank, hopelessness on the faces of the people standing around as was portrayed in the film i'd just watched and knowing i was smack bang in the middle of where it all happened only a decade earlier was confronting to say the least.
Its true that the actors were not professionals, my Nephew was approached in the shopping centre to audition for a part, he's a bit rough and would have fitted in well.

I was driving down Pt Wakefield rd the day they found bones out near Dry Creek which was soon after the case broke, the bones turned out to be from a cemetery they had been digging up somewhere around Adelaide but the commotion it created was full on.

I cant see them giving him a parole date.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
well when i first posted in this thread I hadn't seen the movie

I have now seen maybe 25% - 30 % of it - Tried watching but got to the scene where the kid rapes his brother and I was just like '* this' and I haven't even contemplated watching the rest of it

Like PenfoldsFan, I grew up in the area, I don't need any nitty gritty details

Back