News Geelong's position in Essendon investigation and ACC report

Remove this Banner Ad

So other than Essendon, they are investigating one player at one club.

Can that player only be either a Geelong or Gold Coast player?
I don't see why. It could be anyone from anywhere really. In fact, because it wasn't systematic at club level, it makes Geelong or GC no more likely to be the source, I would have thought.

The good news is that it confirms that at worst we are looking at a single player probably doing it off their own bat. Nothing of the scale that could have us seriously concerned.

So other than Essendon, they are investigating one player at one club.

Can that player only be either a Geelong or Gold Coast player?

No, can be anyone I assume. What's to stop a player just getting on the gear themselves.

I don't see why. It could be anyone from anywhere really. In fact, because it wasn't systematic at club level, it makes Geelong or GC no more likely to be the source, I would have thought.

The good news is that it confirms that at worst we are looking at a single player probably doing it off their own bat. Nothing of the scale that could have us seriously concerned.

But the AFL is on record recently saying they are investigating Geelong and the Gold Coast.

That's why I asked

I think I speak for all of us when I say our primary worry was the potential of losing flags moreso than any other implications moving forward.

Was certainly a relief to hear confirmation that Essendon were the one club being looked at for systematic doping.

I don't think any clubs are completely out of the woods yet still but sounds like this whole ACC report was more a storm in a teacup.

As much as he confirmed Essendon and implicated an individual.... they still only admitted a 'potential' for illegal substance use.

Is this all we will ever get admitted because peptides cannot be tested for? Obviously the evidence they were used is compelling, and sources have secondarily suggested their use and purchase, but it's still not conclusively admitted. I hope at some stage we will get more from the authorities than hot air.

Not counting my chickens, but that press conference was almost as good as possible for Cats fans.

I said the Cats, as a club, were clean, why did you doubt me? :p

The 1 player intrigues me, I have zero information on it so either the people who answer my questions know them personally, and wont tell, or NO-ONE other than that player (and now his club) knew.

As much as he confirmed Essendon and implicated an individual.... they still only admitted a 'potential' for illegal substance use.

Is this all we will ever get admitted because peptides cannot be tested for? Obviously the evidence they were used is compelling, and sources have secondarily suggested their use and purchase, but it's still not conclusively admitted. I hope at some stage we will get more from the authorities than hot air.

Correct.
But they have more powers than that to prove or disprove anything, they WILL find out what was injected and if its banned or not.
I give it until this time next week and it will all come out (just in time for the NAB Cup).

But the AFL is on record recently saying they are investigating Geelong and the Gold Coast.

That's why I asked

They're on record now saying all clubs are being looked at.

I think the GC and us being named previously was an obvious due diligence response from the AFL due to our links with current Bombers staff. They had to announce it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I speak for all of us when I say our primary worry was the potential of losing flags moreso than any other implications moving forward.

Was certainly a relief to hear confirmation that Essendon were the one club being looked at for systematic doping.

I don't think any clubs are completely out of the woods yet still but sounds like this whole ACC report was more a storm in a teacup.
Not really, think the AFL will have large illicit drug problems, along with an entire team on PEDS. Also other codes will have PED and match-fixing allegations. Pretty sensational report overall.

That's why I asked

I am assuming that ->Essendon came forward -> Robinson worked for Bombers, Cats and Poachers = we were being "investigated". ACC deliver their information to AFL Essendon only club in report.

The timeline is a bit confusing and I dare say the AFL have been caught on the hop with this one.

To be honest I think we would have been right under the microscope from 2007 onward given our pure awesomeness.
microscope25092012-jpg_121653.jpg

What a beat up. Here's my take. Essendon have been taking some stuff they shouldn't have and the players didn't know what it was nor coaches and executive. Now they do know. And there has been one other player out of the whole afl on ped. Nothing to worry about for the cats. Lets get on with the footy please. And it looks like there is going to be one player very embarrassed.

Not counting my chickens, but that press conference was almost as good as possible for Cats fans.

As good as we could hope for at this stage.
No evidence of systematic doping.
A 1 in 17 chance of the known rogue player being ours, which can't materially hurt us.

Of course, it doesn't mean any AFL Club is yet home free.
The investigations are continuing, and the ACC could yet get some supplier higher up the chain rolling over and naming other end users.

But I'll take this.

Wouldn't wanna be an NRL supporter, though.

Theve got phone taps for God sake -danks spoke to Robinson on nearly a daily basis when at Geelong-their Robinsons words

Danks phone would have been tapped for sure -if theres any improprierty -Cook wouldnt know about it -and you can kiss 2 flags goodbye

ACC investigation only ongoing during the last 12 months. Robinson left the Cats long before that.

Not really, think the AFL will have large illicit drug problems, along with an entire team on PEDS. Also other codes will have PED and match-fixing allegations. Pretty sensational report overall.

From the way the report has been portrayed though it made it sound as if half the AFL were using PED's which certainly doesn't seem the case now.

On the other hand I think most have accepted the widespread use of illicit drugs in AFL and all codes for some time now which for me I find far less significant.

What a beat up. Here's my take. Essendon have been taking some stuff they shouldn't have and the players didn't know what it was nor coaches and executive. Now they do know. And there has been one other player out of the whole afl on ped. Nothing to worry about for the cats. Lets get on with the footy please. And it looks like there is going to be one player very embarrassed.

A beat up? An entire club possibly taking banned PEDs is a beat up?
Geez whats news then?!

From the way the report has been portrayed though it made it sound as if half the AFL were using PED's which certainly doesn't seem the case now.

On the other hand I think most have accepted the widespread use of illicit drugs in AFL and all codes for some time now which for me I find far less significant.
I don't think it ever said that.

Don't forget we haven't heard from the NRL yet in relation to their part in the Report; but there have been several leaks saying they are dealing with six clubs, which means the Report is correct, that's massive.

Not us, though!:D

I don't think it ever said that.

I know that. I'm saying the way the report itself has been portrayed (i.e. by the media) made it sound as if things were going to be far worse than Gillon made out. After all, why would we be so relieved otherwise, we clearly had expectations of bigger things.

I only caught the arse end of it, but Caro seemed to be savaging Bomber Thompson on Offsiders this morning. She basically said he was the driving force behind Essendon's 'rushed development' to bulk up. Did anyone catch it? Am I reading it wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back