News Geelong's position in Essendon investigation and ACC report

Remove this Banner Ad

I only caught the arse end of it, but Caro seemed to be savaging Bomber Thompson on Offsiders this morning. She basically said he was the driving force behind Essendon's 'rushed development' to bulk up. Did anyone catch it? Am I reading it wrong?
No, but that was her theme on Footy Classified on Thursday night. You came away from that thinking he was gone.

Thinking about the second club and player. Who left the Don's at the end of last year and ended up at another club?

The reassuring fact is that we have had people of the highest integrity leading the management of our club for many years now, and it is almost inconceivable that Costa, Cook & Co would either condone the use of PED's, or lack the systems within the club to uncover any potential use.

Given the constant flow of coaching staff between clubs, it is inevitable that a club will be tainted by association sooner or later. It's unfortunate that this has happened to the GFC, but I'm confident that it will amount to no more than that.

I know that. I'm saying the way the report itself has been portrayed (i.e. by the media) made it sound as if things were going to be far worse than Gillon made out. After all, why would we be so relieved otherwise, we clearly had expectations of bigger things.
We are relieved as Geelong supporters but I think any PED use in the AFL is one of the biggest stories in the past decade.

I wonder if he could sue for breach of contract...
Would be interesting, if he went their with the expectation that players A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I and J would be playing and they are all on the sidelines... Would also have a pretty strong case just on the grounds of "systematic doping"...

Best thing for him might be to walk to another club that, you know, is having a good crack at at flag this year ;)

We are relieved as Geelong supporters but I think any PED use in the AFL is one of the biggest stories in the past decade.

Just Charles was busted for taking performance enhancing drugs wasn't he?
That was like way back in the mid 90's....if he did it, odds on more doing so would have to be reasonably high so we are looking at the past 2 decades at least.

No, but that was her theme on Footy Classified on Thursday night. You came away from that thinking he was gone.

The allegation, and agreement by all, was that Bomber had assumed an unhealthy degree of influence within the club, and was not held accountable by management. Reference was made to on-going disagreement between he and Hird, and the 'fact' that Hird had only recently begun standing up to him.

It was also claimed that Bomber demanded Robinson's employment, and the EFC conceded for fear Bomber would walk away.

They were particularly savage on Thompson I thought.

Off the top of my head Monfries went to Port Adelaide (and maybe another Essendon player went their too).
Thanks! Was gonna like your post but felt a bit bad for the players involved. :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. Especially a whole club orchestrating it.

Call me selfish but I barely care now who gets stung so long as it's not anyone from Geelong.

Absolutely. Especially a whole club orchestrating it.

Call me selfish but I barely care now who gets stung so long as it's not anyone from Geelong.

keep this to yourself Hoffy, but that's pretty much how I feel about it.

Getting back to this report being an AFL one.

The findings were based on what? How long has the AFL been investigating, and what did they investigate.

I'll repeat: AFAIK, they (AFL) have only investigated the Gold Coast, Geelong, and Essendon.

As I said long ago in this thread, it sounds like a plan that Essendon thought up of to be more competitive in 2012.They lured Weapon from GC and hired Dank. Can not see them wanting golden boy Hird to fail as a coach. Now that whipping boy Knights is no longer there then who cops the blame?

So it has nothing to do with Geelong other than we had the Weapon. The pressure would be from EFC hierarchy/fans to get some success which they haven't had in 12 years now.

A beat up? An entire club possibly taking banned PEDs is a beat up?
Geez whats news then?!
When I say beat up I mean that we knew all about the essendon stuff before he acc report and in addition to that there is only one player. I mean the whole acc is not really telling us much we didn't already know in an afl sense.

I only caught the arse end of it, but Caro seemed to be savaging Bomber Thompson on Offsiders this morning. She basically said he was the driving force behind Essendon's 'rushed development' to bulk up. Did anyone catch it? Am I reading it wrong?

She did mention that Geelong had done it over a long period of time and Essendon wanted it immediately... What she said actually made me feel better re the cats, same as her on footy classified during the week. I don't generally have much time for her but she clearly isn't after the cats

When I say beat up I mean that we knew all about the essendon stuff before he acc report and in addition to that there is only one player. I mean the whole acc is not really telling us much we didn't already know in an afl sense.

I think the ACC report was more pointed to the NRL and not as much the AFL (and other codes).
From what I gather the NRL are in HUGE trouble.

This just out from the club.

Dear Members and Supporters,

The past week has been very challenging for everyone in Australian sport and this includes the AFL and all of the clubs. We too have been shocked by the findings of the ACC.

Our club has been drawn into the public discussion because one of our past employees is being mentioned and this is prompting questions about how we have conducted ourselves in recent years.

Let me assure you that we have nothing to hide. Our processes are robust and we are confident that they stand up to any examination.

However, we know that this will not be enough for some people who will doubt the legitimacy of the game and are disillusioned. And so, we believe it is important that the story of a club that did everything "by the book" and achieved great success through hard work, professionalism, team work, unity and commitment should be celebrated. We owe that to everyone who has contributed.

That is why we welcome the widening of the investigation by the AFL and ASADA. This will take some time, as it should and it needs to be thorough to ensure that the integrity of our club is confirmed. We even view this process as a way to further test our procedures and find ways to strengthen them even further.

There has been particular debate around the influence of sports science and many good people in the industry are seeing their reputations questioned. We want to make clear that we are proud of our people who work in this area of our club. They make an important and very professional contribution as part of our team.

We cannot comment on how other clubs operate but we can assure you that it is our doctors who directly determine all treatments and the use of all supplements by our players. We believe our protocols are best practice and that is why we are confident in our position.

We know these are difficult times for supporters. But we are confident that when the dust settles on this investigation we will be seen as we have been in recent years - a successful club that goes about its business in the right way.

We are looking forward to Season 2013 with great enthusiasm!

Colin Carter (President)
Brian Cook (Chief Executive)

If this scandal has done anything, for the first time I'm living memory I'm really looking forward to the start of the NAB Cup.
I've been looking forward to it for a while this year! The crickets s**t.. Bring on the footy!!!

This sums it up for me:

"However, we know that this will not be enough for some people who will doubt the legitimacy of the game and are disillusioned. And so, we believe it is important that the story of a club that did everything "by the book" and achieved great success through hard work, professionalism, team work, unity and commitment should be celebrated. We owe that to everyone who has contributed."

So it has nothing to do with Geelong other than we had the Weapon. The pressure would be from EFC hierarchy/fans to get some success which they haven't had in 12 years now.

If, if Cats are clean (am sure we are) the bullshit that flogs on this website have preached about our tainted premierships and all will remain for quite some time even though Geelong did absolutely nothing wrong.

The news articles and headlines implementing Geelong in this fiasco need to be quickly sought out because all you have to do is read through relevant topics on the main board and you have opposition supporters including Geelong in this PED scandal simply because Robinson previously worked at Catland :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back