How many chances does Finch get???

Remove this Banner Ad

I stand corrected. Still I feel more confident in Haddin than Wade over there.

I still can't understand why Dave Hussey has never played a test match. 12468 first class runs @ 53.28 with 41 hundreds.

Did he have a falling out with Michael Clarke? Like Katich? Rumour is that M Hussey did after he retired. He wanted to do quiet stuff the night of his last match just a beer in the changerooms and dinner. Clarke organised a boat tour but Huss didnt want a fuss and told them he wanted to be with his family that night, and didnt show up. Clarke did his nut.

David Hussey has an outstanding FC record as did his brother before he got his gig. For mine, David stays a bit too much legside of the ball and therefore does not get behind the ball enough early in his innings and can possibly classified as a nicker. Add this to the perceived or actual "short ball" issue and there are probably enough reasons why he has been overlooked. In the last 10-15 years there has been a widening of the gap between International and First Class standards and you can get players with fantastic first class numbers that might never get a look in. It's unlikely that guys like David Hussey will never get a shot at Test Cricket but his timing has been just a bit out and if he was ten years younger he probably would.

You need a lot of things going for you, form, opportunity and a big slice of luck. David might have just lucked out. Mike had similar stats to David but he was only 30 when he got his gig. Timing's everything.

The story about Hussey and Clarke has been denied, but I was told there's a fair bit of truth to it.

David Hussey has an outstanding FC record as did his brother before he got his gig. For mine, David stays a bit too much legside of the ball and therefore does not get behind the ball enough early in his innings and can possibly classified as a nicker. Add this to the perceived or actual "short ball" issue and there are probably enough reasons why he has been overlooked. In the last 10-15 years there has been a widening of the gap between International and First Class standards and you can get players with fantastic first class numbers that might never get a look in. It's unlikely that guys like David Hussey will never get a shot at Test Cricket but his timing has been just a bit out and if he was ten years younger he probably would.

You need a lot of things going for you, form, opportunity and a big slice of luck. David might have just lucked out. Mike had similar stats to David but he was only 30 when he got his gig. Timing's everything.

The story about Hussey and Clarke has been denied, but I was told there's a fair bit of truth to it.

Another thing to remember with the Hussey bro's is there first class records are pumped up by there time pounding County attacks around.

David Hussey averages 44 in the Shield & Mike Hussey 40 (this was the same as it was when he was first selected in the Test team). Both decent numbers but hardly outstanding.

Makes guys like Bailey & Voges' performances stack up pretty well as potential Test players when you compare apples with apples rather than oranges.

A couple of things there to consider when you look at stats & how they can deceive unless you look deeper.

David Hussey has not helped himself by his performances at ODI level. They use that as a testing ground and he was pretty ordinary to start with, got dropped then came back and wasn't of much more use. Mike Hussey had a couple of years of doing well in ODIs before he came into the test team. He'd already done enough there to show he had the temperament. Little about David Hussey's time in ODI and even T20I has shown that he has the same head for heights as his brother.

Yeah never understood the hype around David Hussey. I suspect if he had a different last name and played for, I dunno, Tasmania we wouldn't have anywhere near the amount screaming over the bloke's non-selection..
I'd say its the FC average of 50 that does it, not his name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like that this time about last year Dave Hussey was touted as our best T20 cricketer. Heard this a lot in the T20 series against India. I was suprised when he got dropped from ODI's and T20's cos everyone was failing except Hughes and he's a hell of a lot better than the likes of Steve Smith and Maxwell surely I thought. I also thought Bailey would go first cos he hadnt done anything really and cant bowl. Anyway, Finch replaced him and did nothing.

Aussies bowled out for 240 today in a warm up match with an unknown spinner taking 7 wickets for crap all. Maxwell survived an encouraging 8 balls. It bodes well....:rolleyes:

David Hussey has not helped himself by his performances at ODI level. They use that as a testing ground and he was pretty ordinary to start with, got dropped then came back and wasn't of much more use. Mike Hussey had a couple of years of doing well in ODIs before he came into the test team. He'd already done enough there to show he had the temperament. Little about David Hussey's time in ODI and even T20I has shown that he has the same head for heights as his brother.

Sames goes for Steve Smith and he's over there somehow!

Feels like that this time about last year Dave Hussey was touted as our best T20 cricketer. Heard this a lot in the T20 series against India. I was suprised when he got dropped from ODI's and T20's cos everyone was failing except Hughes and he's a hell of a lot better than the likes of Steve Smith and Maxwell surely I thought. I also thought Bailey would go first cos he hadnt done anything really and cant bowl. Anyway, Finch replaced him and did nothing.

Whoever was touting that was going on the fact that he's scored so many runs at domestic level. They certainly weren't going on his international stats.

George Bailey has been solid since he got into the ODI team and they obviously really want him skippering the T20 team. So why would they drop him?

Whoever was touting that was going on the fact that he's scored so many runs at domestic level. They certainly weren't going on his international stats.

George Bailey has been solid since he got into the ODI team and they obviously really want him skippering the T20 team. So why would they drop him?

Prior to that awesome hundred in Perth everyone wanted his head!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back