North to renew Brad Scott contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Only so much you can teach players. That sort nonce/instinctivness that Simpson had as a footballer that allowed him to position him self well and find the footy is something you can't teach or learn. You either have it or you don't.

It's like bravery......Selwood, Brown, Lonergan, Archer when he played, they all have it but you can't teach it. Which is why Heppell will always be a talent that squibs.

I guess only time will tell

C'mon mate, your forgetting the art if third man up!!

When people speak of Adam they talk of his footy smarts. I reckon he has the brain to be a top coach one day. Say what you want about his skill set but you have to agree that he was a very smart player. Always in the right spot at the right time.

What is it about his time as Hawthorn midfield coach which makes you say that?

What is it about his time as Hawthorn midfield coach which makes you say that?

Nothing.
It's about the way he played the games. He has a really good footy mind and I thought he was a good leader of men. It's when I've herd him speak in interviews, always gets his point across very easily, very easy to follow. When he was playing I lost count of how many times I heard his team mates say that he would make a good coach one day. They don't just go around saying that about everyone.

Undeniable teffy, but it's all DNA stuff......very hard to teach those traits into players.

Well, let's be frank then. Brad was a robotic process driven footballer and at this point it shows in his coaching. Simmo certainly compares favorably from that aspect.

I'm looking forward to seeing some new tricks from Brad in 2013.

BigFooty Mainboard- We hate your club and know nothing about it, but we will tell you how to run it.

Seriously some of the clowns on there think they have more knowledge about the club, then those inside it and its own supporters. Despite proclaiming they hate the club and its an unimportant nothing club.

That is not exclusive to Bigfooty. The Defence Forum is full of people who think they know everything about us and what we aren't doing and that Brayshaw is useless. Not one of them could tell me who the Chairman was before JB and what they actually did in their time at North.

The bloke has a superb football brain and superb football instincts.

And he's a natural leader on and off the field - when he was captain at North he showed so much natural leadership and to see the way he interacted with the other players in social situations you could just tell he was a leader and people follow him - it's a great quality for an aspiring coach.

Most people I know think that Malthouse is a prick of the highest order but he must be a hell of a coach/leader because he definitely gets teams willing to go out and give their all for him.

In fairness to Brad, he may have taken the view that process was required until the list further matured.

However, if we are still going through the same motions at the end of this year, then I will have serious doubts.

Couldnt agree more. I think its premature to renew Scott's contract now, dont understand the rush. It will be an interesting first 6 weeks.

some fairly ridiculous crap in this thread
simmo did not want to be captain and was appalling at 'selling' the club
so was JDY
pagan was bereft of skill as a player
great coach tactically
malthouse and bomber thompson took years to achieve success
wot is the rush with scott
we havent underperformed as yet IMO
and why on earth wld scott not perform
the guy wants a career as a coach ffs

i wld guess scott will be there for 10 yrs
and probbable replacement is longmire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the decision to extend is fine. Get it out the way - if not Scott will be ask the question at ever press conference and it will get boring really quickly.

End of the day I have not enjoyed a season like 2012 since the Carey era. North and the Hawks were the only teams to go 9-2 in the 2nd half of the year. In that time we defeated 2 top 4 teams and the four teams directly below us while continuing to get games into the kids.

IMO he earned the extension and if people go after him if we start slow again it will be disappointing.

IMO he earned the extension and if people go after him if we start slow again it will be disappointing.
If we start slow interwebs effigies will be burned, spleens vented, memberships melted, empty threats made etc. Nothing is surer.

If we start slow interwebs effigies will be burned, spleens vented, memberships melted, empty threats made etc. Nothing is surer.

Surely someone that is so confident of this mans abilities would not have to partake in an exercise of preemptive defence?

How long is long enough?

We can't win the 2014 flag so it is another building year. Toughest draw with a young side is a massive test.

We can't win the 2014 flag so it is another building year. Toughest draw with a young side is a massive test.

Yeah, the "young" stuff is officially over for about 10 blokes by the end of 2013.

The last half of 2012 is the acceptable norm from now on, and I have every reason to expect improvement on that.

It's not preemtive defence at all, but a recognition of the way things work around here. If the team play like s**t he will cop severe criticism, as will the board for appointing him, and so he should. Christ, if we play really well and still loose to Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney and Adelaide some will still call for his head.

How long is long enough? Well, if the team don't start playing like men this year and in round 20 we are lamenting the fact that we crumble under pressure then Scott can pack his bags. A great deal depends on this year. That is not to say that it's top four or bust but i expect to see steel and greater maturity in this team, and greater defensive accountability around the ground, starting from the how the coach implements things. The team may not be good enough to challenge this year but the should be good enough to be seen as a tough opponent for those expecting to challenge. By the end of the year I want the premier to be looking over their shoulder, waiting for us to drag them down.

It's not preemtive defence at all, but a recognition of the way things work around here.

Mate, the folks here have every right to demand results from now on. If we slide backwards then criticism will not only be forthcoming, it will be warranted.

Mate, the folks here have every right to demand results from now on. If we slide backwards then criticism will not only be forthcoming, it will be warranted.
All things being equal.

It's not preemtive defence at all, but a recognition of the way things work around here. If the team play like s**t he will cop severe criticism, as will the board for appointing him, and so he should. Christ, if we play really well and still loose to Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney and Adelaide some will still call for his head.

How long is long enough? Well, if the team don't start playing like men this year and in round 20 we are lamenting the fact that we crumble under pressure then Scott can pack his bags. A great deal depends on this year. That is not to say that it's top four or bust but i expect to see steel and greater maturity in this team, and greater defensive accountability around the ground, starting from the how the coach implements things. The team may not be good enough to challenge this year but the should be good enough to be seen as a tough opponent for those expecting to challenge. By the end of the year I want the premier to be looking over their shoulder, waiting for us to drag them down.

I like this post except for Scott can pack his bag. If he gets the extension to 2015 there is no chance we pay him out 2 full years if we don't perform this year. I like the steel part as I want to get rid of the blow outs we copped last year.

I have never been a big coach basher as I don't think they play as big a role as what some believe. I am of the belief the players make the coach not the other way around. Dennis Pagan can tell you all about this.

How long is long enough?

I am unsure why we would not be able to have a heads of agreement to a contract extension based upon the output in 2013.

ie you get this two year contract extension if you meet this criteria
- no 100 point losses
- no ridiculous bulldog/port type losses
- Specific win loss % against top 8 sides (say at minimum 50%)
- Specific win loss % against bottom sides (say 80% or greater)

The buck needs to stop with the coach and he needs to know it. He performs he gets his extension everyone happy.

He doesn't we have the ability to ask some serious questions at the end of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back