Fantasy 2012 BigFooty NFL Mock Draft - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Washington on the clock. This is an auto pick.

I am thinking Pass rush, but if there is a stand out BPA im happy to go that way.

Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State ?

DRD you mayb be more educated on players in this draft range?

I don't see a standout BPA on my list - Crawford is a good pick IMO

Some pundits claim Crawford to be a 2nd round talent, this is the 4th round....
He's the new JPP
Just a physical freak with ALOT of upside.

ps- Is washington a 3-4 or 4-3 team?
If 4-3 it's an excellent pick
If 3-4 keep well away

Washington on the clock. This is an auto pick.

I am thinking Pass rush, but if there is a stand out BPA im happy to go that way.

Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State ?

DRD you mayb be more educated on players in this draft range?

I haven't got my BB with me but I agree with Sven that there aren't really any standout BPA guys atm.

In terms of OLBs, I don't really see any that would be good value here but (of the top of my head) guys like Jake Bequette (Mizzou), Olivier Vernon (Miami), Kyle Wilber (Wake Forest) and Derrick Shelby (Utah) are all probably vying for the spot of best available 3-4 OLB

Some pundits claim Crawford to be a 2nd round talent, this is the 4th round....
He's the new JPP
Just a physical freak with ALOT of upside.

ps- Is washington a 3-4 or 4-3 team?
If 4-3 it's an excellent pick
If 3-4 keep well away

The Redskins play 3-4.

What about DT Josh Chapman? He could probably play anywhere on the front 3 and could be groomed as a long term replacement for Barry Cofield.

Otherwise OLB Sean Spence.

The Redskins play 3-4.

What about DT Josh Chapman? He could probably play anywhere on the front 3 and could be groomed as a long term replacement for Barry Cofield.

Otherwise OLB Sean Spence.

Chapman would be good if they have a need on the DL, particularly at 3-4 DE.

Sean Spence is way too small to play in the 3-4

Chapman would be good if they have a need on the DL, particularly at 3-4 DE.

Sean Spence is way too small to play in the 3-4

What about Johnathon Massaquoi from troy.

3-4 OLB, with good size.

Is he a bit of a reach though?

What about Johnathon Massaquoi from troy.

3-4 OLB, with good size.

Is he a bit of a reach though?

Just realised he was still available and was coming into the thread to post that exact name.

Prior to the Combine he was thought of as a late 2nd rounder, ran poorly at the Combine (4.89 40) but has since run a time more in keeping with his film at his Pro Day. I wouldn't think of him as a reach

San Diego go with talanted Defensive tackle Josh Chapman.

Risky pick as he is coming off minor knee surgery, however he has a lot of upside and could boast high reward from a mid round pick.

If he needs time to recuperate for the start of next season San Diego has current investments Antonio Garay, Vaughan Martin and Cory Liuget pegged openeing day starters on the defensive line with Luis Castillo a rotational depth player San Diegos line has solid enough depth not to rush Chapman, so he can rebuild his core and his strength and hopefully be San Diegos next solid Nose tackle.

Chapman showed how tough he is by playing through injury in the championship game for the tide, Some toughness and character the Chargers Defensive unit lacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots to like about a physical (off the line), assured tackling and solid CB from Florida State, Mike Harris. I'm hopeful the Steelers can actually take him in the fourth.
Looks more an upgrade from the Arizona bound Willie Gay.

Re: 2012 BigFooty NFL Mock Draft

With the extremely unrealistic second pick of this now-nonsense draft, the Skins take Andrew Luck.

(Also, I had already posted this, but it was deleted. Bravo.)

A bloke called Greg Cosell made the same call - that he would take RG III if he was in charge of Indy.

He's watched a lot of film, and he thinks RGIII will be better

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/

I messed up by taking an OLB and DE so early, while overlooking RT and CB. Oh well.

But, I've taken a CB here - admittedly one coming off a serious knee injury. But he sounds like a good kid.

I'm reasonably happy with the Vikings picks, but only by default. The signing of Jerome Simpson in the last 24 hours means that the Vikings may not be looking for a tall receiver early in the draft. The biggest need still outstanding for the Vikings is SS and looking at the way the draft fell it may have been better to take Harrison Smith instead of Boykin in the second. I'm pretty sure all the talk about the Vikings trading down in round one is about getting at least an additional round two pick this year. I'm pretty sure the Vikings would be happy to take Reiff or Martin further down in round one and fill two positions in round 2.

Another focus for me during the mock draft was to look at players who were capable kick and punt returners as the Vikings can't really afford to keep Percy harvin in that role given his value to the team.

With two more picks in the 4th round (compensatory picks) I was looking at SS, DT, ILB and maybe WR and had DaJohn Harris, DT, Southern California; James-Michael Johnson, ILB, Nevada; Kelcie McCray, SS, Arkansas State; Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas; Tony Dye, SS, UCLA; Dominique Hamilton, DT, Missouri; Jaye Howard, DT, Florida; Akiem Hicks, DT, University of Regina; Kheeston Randall, DT, Texas; Antonio Allen, SS, South Carolina; and Tommy Streeter, WR, Miami on my watch list.

Vikings draft notes

Round 1 - OT Matt Kalil, Southern California (HT: 6-6 - WT: 306)

In my opinion Kalil is almost a lock for the Vikings at #3 if that's where they stay. Drafting Kalil will allow the Vikings to move Charlie Johnson to left guard, with John Sullivan at centre, Geoff Schwartz at right guard and Phil Loadholt at right tackle. Behind that group is a young group of developmental talent who will eventually push some of the starters during 2012. The drafting of Kalil covers the loss of Bryant McKinnie who turned up to camp last year out of shape and was subsequently cut and signed by the Ravens.

Scouting Report

Positives -- Incredible size, NFL-ready body, big frame that he uses to overpower defenders. Uses great footwork and always stays in front of defender. Has a very good shuffle to the outside; he will rarely let his defender get to outside shoulder in protection. Really knows how to use
defenders' momentum against them, can push them behind the pocket; has elite athleticism to stick with blocks. Plays angles very well in both the passing and running game. He gets a good push in running game and is very good down-hill blocker. Really moves the line of scrimmage forward and has the ability to seal off the end on edge runs. Athletic enough to get to second level and make high-quality blocks in run game. Great blocker in open space and on pulls to the left. Very agile and smart in space. Understands the art of blocking, uses his size and athleticism to his advantage. Owns his edge of the line and dominates his section of the line of scrimmage. Plug-and-play type left tackle in the NFL, has the smarts to pick up protection at the NFL level and the size and athleticism to hold his own against some of the better pass-rushers in the game. This guy is so highly regarded he forced former top ten pick Tyron Smith to the right side at Southern California. Was never a doubt but solidified his position as the top offensive line prospect available with a 4.99-40, second fastest among offensive linemen, and 1.70 10-yard split at the combine, and also put up 30 reps of 225 lbs. on the bench press.

Negatives -- Maybe a beneficiary of a very smart quarterback with great pocket presence. Great at pushing defenders out and backwards, but could present problems if quarterback doesn't step up. Forcing defenders out and behind won't work against veteran NFL defensive ends. Needs to develop better inside blocking technique, has trouble on inside counter-moves, predominantly beat with inside cuts.

Round 2 - CB Brandon Boykin, Georgia. (HT: 5-10 WT: 183)

Boykin is one of those do it all players who hasn't got a lot of press, but is consistently ranked in the top 5 CBs in the 2012 draft. Boykin boosted himself up the rankings with a dominant performance in the Outback Bowl where he recorded a safety (as a CB), a punt return TD (on STs), and a receiving TD (as a WR).

With the Chris Carr signing and Chris Cook returning to the team following his acquittal you could argue that CB might not be a priority for the Vikings come draft day. If I had the choice today, rather than a week or so ago, I would probably look at either Rueben Randle or Harrison Smith.

Scouting Report

Positives -- Athleticism is above-average, has pretty good speed, fluid hips and quick feet, change-of-direction skills are also above-average. Will be a very good slot defender, lines up against slot receivers regularly, off-man coverage skills are very good. A fiesty player who loves to compete, is tough to separate from, explosive closing ability and natural ball skills to break up passes, recorded nine interceptions over the previous three seasons combined. Has excellent leaping ability, is able to cover larger receivers in most situations despite his size. Is a good wrap-up tackler, does not miss a lot of opportunities in open space. Has good return skills, ran four kickoffs back for touchdowns in 2009 and 2010 combined and added a punt return TD in 2011. Durability does not seem to be an issue, has not missed substantial time due to injury. Also played a little offense for Georgia as a senior, scored one rushing and two receiving touchdowns; had one of the best bowl performances in recent memory, scoring three different ways (safety, punt return TD, receiving TD) in a triple overtime loss to Michigan State in the Outback Bowl. Was recognized as the nation's most versatile player, winning the 2011 Paul Hornung Award from the Louisville Sports Commission.

Negatives -- About an inch or two shorter than ideal height. Gives too much cushion on out routes, protects himself against double moves, but allows receivers too much space to catch the ball underneath. Often looks into the backfield for too long, which makes him susceptible to picks on crossing patterns over the middle. Does not get off blocks well, not the most physical corner. Leaves feet too often when tackling, needs to do a better job of driving through tackles with his legs. Is not the most versatile corner due to below-average strength, may be relegated to covering slot receivers in the NFL.

[youtube]bJ9cXz8ebzo[/youtube]

Round 3 - FS Markelle Martin - Oklahoma State (HT: 6-0¾ - WT: 207)

Safety is the Vikings biggest need and Markelle Martin is an instant upgrade at the position. The Vikings are also reportedly looking at Harrison Smith and Antonio Allen for the SS position.

Positives -- Looks the part of an NFL player, a physical specimen. A jack of all trades, played everywhere for the Cowboys last season. An absolute ballhawk, when the ball was in the air, you just knew that Martin would be tracking it. Ferocious tackler, hits like a ton of bricks; broke up numerous
completions just from laying the body. All of the physical tools are there, most of his mistakes are mental, which can be sorted out with good coaching. Very aggressive defender, plays very fast and with a purpose. Played special teams as a freshman, and should be able to play there immediately. Great in zone coverage, covers a lot of ground quickly and uses his ball skills to make plays. Good at coming up for run support, is a big hitter but will still show good form and make tackles. Uses his strength very well to get off blockers, just sticking his arm out seems to loosen the grip of the blocker.Won Oklahoma State's Nate Fleming award for his academic performance in 2010. Finished his career with 178 tackles, 36 pass breakups, three interceptions and two forced fumbles.

Negatives -- Injury prone, missed some time in 2009 with a hip injury and missed spring practice in 2011 after shoulder surgery; also, he had to sit out the combine after getting knee surgery. Like most safeties, you don't want him in man coverage, and has the tendency to get beat over the top. Despite being a ballhawk, he's dropped a countless number of interceptions over his career. Does not attack the line of scrimmage as well as you'd like but that should come with more experience. Is very consistent but doesn't make big plays, which is surprising for a player of his skill set. Needs to get better at open field tackling, tends to rely on the big hits when he should go for the wrap up.

Round 4 - WR Joe Adams - Arkansas (HT: 5-10 - WT: 179)

With a dozen WRs already off the board it was way overdue for the Vikings to grab someone to add some depth to their WR corps. Percy Harvin is the only WR of note on the Vikings squad, and the Vikings could really benefit from a true #1 WR. Joe Adams isn't a true #1 WR, but he has played outside and in the slot during his college career. Add to that a ton of experience as a returner and you can see that Adams adds a lot of flexibility to the squad. I could see him starting as a slot receiver/punt returner and then moving outside as his route running skills are developed.

Positives -- Terrific overall athlete with good game speed and ankle breaking open field moves. Had perhaps the play of the year in all of college football with his punt return touchdown against Tennessee. Special player after the catch, can take any screen or crossing route the distance. Instant acceleration and extremely fast, can get behind safeties. One of his best attributes after the catch is his balance and lateral agility, defenders rarely get a good hit on him and he seemingly bounces off of tacklers. A versatile weapon who has lined up in the backfield, outside, in the slot, and returned punts. Great route runner, has terrific initial quickness and gets in and out of his cuts cleanly, can cut while running at full speed. Solid vertical receiver with an explosive vertical leap, despite his size he can go up and out jump taller corners. Great hands, doesn't let balls get into his chest and will extend to make the tough plays. Was able to create separation on some of the elite corners in the SEC and should be able to do the same in the NFL. At his best when working out of the slot on crossing routes and screens where he can work in space. Good intangibles. Had a big Senior Bowl week that boosted his stock.

Negatives -- Undersized, is one of the smaller receivers in this draft and can get overpowered by larger corners. Ran slower than expected at the combine. Never was a prolific receiver at Arkansas, never had a 1,000 yard season and only scored three touchdowns as a senior. Seemed to disappear in big games, did not record a catch against Texas A&M, had three catches against LSU, and five catches for 22 yards in the Cotton Bowl. Size is an issue when asked to run block, has a hard time engaging. Has some ball security issues.

Indianapolis Colts
Round 1 (1) ROBERT GRIFFIN III, QB, BAYLOR
Round 2 (34) DOUG MARTIN, HB, BOISE ST
Hindsight is wonderful in proving that I'm a genius.
Best QB (according to AP) and RB in the draft :cool:

And people B*tched and moaned about me taking RGIII over Luck. Well sorry for knowing what's best. Next time I'll listen to the media and let the stud slip :rolleyes:

Hindsight is wonderful in proving that I'm a genius.
Best QB (according to AP) and RB in the draft :cool:

And people B*tched and moaned about me taking RGIII over Luck. Well sorry for knowing what's best. Next time I'll listen to the media and let the stud slip :rolleyes:
This is why no one likes you

Like you would know :rolleyes:

What does the writeup on the moderators board say

"Despite him being annoying at times on the boards, in real life he's one of the nicest people you could meet"

Like you would know :rolleyes:

What does the writeup on the moderators board say

"Despite him being annoying at times on the boards, in real life he's one of the nicest people you could meet"
Then why're you a douchebag on here? Instead of actually debating your points, you act the role of board twat.
Be your 'nice guy'.

And I'll refute your actual points re: RG3 over Luck when I return this evening. Ignoring the fact that you STILL only picked RG3 because it came across as 'edgy' and you obv. aren't the biggest fan of Luck.

I've actually turned my opinion on both.

Pre draft I thought RGIII >>> Luck >>>>>>> All else (I saw RGIII as Luck with legs)
Now I'm WIlson >>> Luck > RGIII (As Wilson is Luck with Legs while RGIII is a moron)

RGIII is the best short term, but he's a moron. Untill Coach Shanahan can get some sense into his head, I'd rather the other 2 playing for me. Injuries will cripple RGIII, therefore I dont want him long term. Much rather the other 2.

But with RGIII winning the AP ROTY award and Martin being by far the best RB and me getting both in the draft. I felt I could brag.

You know, set up a little driendly banter.

Much rather have a little debate than having a boring monotone discussion.

I've actually turned my opinion on both.

Pre draft I thought RGIII >>> Luck >>>>>>> All else (I saw RGIII as Luck with legs)
Now I'm WIlson >>> Luck > RGIII (As Wilson is Luck with Legs while RGIII is a moron)

RGIII is the best short term, but he's a moron. Untill Coach Shanahan can get some sense into his head, I'd rather the other 2 playing for me. Injuries will cripple RGIII, therefore I dont want him long term. Much rather the other 2.

But with RGIII winning the AP ROTY award and Martin being by far the best RB and me getting both in the draft. I felt I could brag.

You know, set up a little driendly banter.

Much rather have a little debate than having a boring monotone discussion.
Why do people still give me s**t about this mock draft
I flipped on rgme and saying it won't work out off te back of his one good season
Yeah
Bad pick
Though, luck hasn't really accomplished much himself.... at least I got one good year out of a qb, what'd Chadwicko get? Should have gone Wilson himself!

Picks for Buffalo and the Texans.

10) Quinton Coples- massive miss
26) Mohammed Sanu- hit

41) Dwayne Allen- hit
58) Brandon Washington- miss

71) Casey Howard- hit
76) Jared Crick- hit, though his impact is waning.

99) Demario Davis- probably neither a hit, nor a miss. Average player but the Browns would be even worse without him.
105) Andrew Datko- miss. No impact.

Shout-out to the Redskins picking up Josh Norman in the fourth round, very good selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back