Super Rugby Official Melbourne Rebels thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Over at Green and Gold Rugby some people are saying that they're hearing that the club is in some very bad financial trouble. It better not be true.

Over at Green and Gold Rugby some people are saying that they're hearing that the club is in some very bad financial trouble. It better not be true.

They are in serious trouble. ARU will bail them out like they did with the Reds. The Rebels folding would be the worst-case scenario for the ARU.

They are in serious trouble. ARU will bail them out like they did with the Reds. The Rebels folding would be the worst-case scenario for the ARU.
:( The ARU aren't in great shape themselves so s**t news around.

It wasn't much better on the field, how much drop ball did the Rebels have tonight!!?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...son/story-e6frf4qu-1226598749419#.UUPo3o4_220

NSW Waratahs have confirmed the signing of Melbourne Rebels and Wallabies halfback Nick Phipps on a two-year deal starting in the 2014 Super Rugby season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...son/story-e6frf4qu-1226598749419#.UUPo3o4_220

Good move by the Rebels. Phipps was eventually going to be replaced by Stirzaker so it's a good move for him. It also frees up cap space and allows the Rebels to get Burgess, who fits the mentor role that they have been looking for. It's a win-win for Phipps and the Rebels.

Blokes have some serious work to do after 2 big losses in SA. Need Hill to get the player group set and well drilled in structures in order to win a few games

Hill must be in trouble at the end of the year if the Rebels don't see improvement in the back half of the year. I thought he might be a little out of his depth when he got hired and he hasn't really done anything to dissuade me of that opinion.

There are more things at play than just the coach when it comes to their performance but he'd have to be in the firing line if by the end of the year they don't show something different to the first few unsuccessful years.

Hill is very popular with management and the players. He won't get fired, unless something drastic happens. A belting in South Africa isn't that uncommon. The Reds last year got smashed by the Bulls, Sharks and Force (in Perth) and recovered.

In any case, there isn't another coach in Australia that could do better, unless the Rebels want Eddie Jones.

How do you guys feel about Beale's punishment? I'm thinking it's basically a sacking...they'll just not renew his contract at the end of this year and he'll go off to the Waratahs or something. I think it's a very sad situation but the discipline is sorely needed-how could the captain ever command respect after being punched by one of his teammates, if they just let it slide?

The rebels are a case study in how not to approach recruitment. To begin with they recruited way too many washed up guys and average foreign journeymen. The focus should have been youth. The results wouldn't have been any worse in the first season, and by now they'd be a lot better. Since then they've splashed huge amounts on a few superstars but it's a bit like building a pool in your backyard before fixing the holes in your roof. They have far too many average players in their squad. Average players that aren't going to get any better.

How do you guys feel about Beale's punishment? I'm thinking it's basically a sacking...they'll just not renew his contract at the end of this year and he'll go off to the Waratahs or something. I think it's a very sad situation but the discipline is sorely needed-how could the captain ever command respect after being punched by one of his teammates, if they just let it slide?

He needed to be stood down for sure. But he'll be back in the side in 2 or 3 weeks I'd guess. Ben Barba has provided the blueprint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hugh Pyle ended up staying with the Rebels.

Been a handful of youth that have re-signed which is good, plus a few handy signings. Now we wait for what happens with Beale and JOC. I think 1 will stay.

Extremely surprising considering the person who told me is very close to Hugh. I reckon it spells the end of Damien Hill as head coach.

I've never been a big fan of the Rebels recruiting but they've picked up some good players for next season. Max Lahiff is an inspired signing; he's a James Slipper clone.

Rebels should really consider getting rid of JOC. He's a lockeroom distraction and the past few games have shown that Rebels are a better team without him. Hegarty > JOC at 10. Woodward > JOC at 15.

Rebels should really consider getting rid of JOC. He's a lockeroom distraction and the past few games have shown that Rebels are a better team without him. Hegarty > JOC at 10. Woodward > JOC at 15.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...ntract-extension/story-e6frfkp9-1226675502988

JOC gone. Not offered a new contract. I honestly don't know what club he's going to play for next year. The Brumbies are concerned with retaining their stars. Waratahs want Beale. Reds have a pretty packed squad and I can't see where he would play, unless he wants to play as a wing. Force not an option.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...ntract-extension/story-e6frfkp9-1226675502988

JOC gone. Not offered a new contract. I honestly don't know what club he's going to play for next year. The Brumbies are concerned with retaining their stars. Waratahs want Beale. Reds have a pretty packed squad and I can't see where he would play, unless he wants to play as a wing. Force not an option.

Bold call from the Rebels but the right one.

Can't see where in Australia he'll go and most major English and French clubs have their signings in place for next season. Can really only see a year in Japan or a minor European club as his only option at this stage

Bold call from the Rebels but the right one.

Can't see where in Australia he'll go and most major English and French clubs have their signings in place for next season. Can really only see a year in Japan or a minor European club as his only option at this stage

I think the Waratahs are the most likely if they miss out on Beale, who is their number 1 priority. If Beale goes to the Tahs, I think Japan would be the only option for JOC.

Why do you think it's so impossible for him to go back to the Force? The whole coaching team has changed there.

I doubt he'd go to Japan at this stage in his career. He'd be more likely to go to league.

I think he'll stay in Australian rugby though. While not a 10, he is still a gun player. Surely the reds have space for him with Ioane leaving?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back