Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Given that we're now in our third year of the competition, patience may start to wear thin for some people. I think a few of us have noticed that in NAB games already. ;)

For that reason, this thread exists for you to vent your anger, frustrations or strong opinions about the club. This way we also don't clog the gameday threads with attacks and jibes, or calling for the heads of individual players or Coaches.

This is not a Bay 13 type thread, and it will still be moderated. So no personal attacks should be done. It IS a place for strong opinions that may not be well received by others. So for that reason, here's a warning. If you don't like seeing people vent their anger or stuff at the club, you probably won't like this thread. ;)

Got a problem with Bluey? Rage about it here.

Got a problem with our defenders or a player? This is the place to vent your problems with him.

OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS TREAD CAREFULLY

You have been warned

As a "local" club member for the passed few years, I feel you cant help but develop closer ties with the club and its players through regular face to face interaction at games/family days/open training and constantly running into players at Robina Town Centre much to my wife's delight... Hmmmmm.... Anyway for better or worse, I guess it may make us more "emotionally attached", and possibly more likely to become frustrated when things don't develop as quickly as we or the club hoped for. Supporters/Mods that live interstate or overseas that can only follow the club via tv/online/twitter, are no less a supporter, but may not feel the same frustrations when players they spoke to in the supermarket during the week says the team will deliver one thing, and then on game day deliver something else? Oh the mental anguish of being a local supporter. I bet Brissy Lions supporters don't feel this way after their amazing NAB cup campaign? Rant over, time to mow the lawn after 2-months of rain...

I wholeheartedly disagree and take offense to the notion that anyone is more emotionally invested than anyone else here just because they regularly get to see the players. I'd almost argue that the opposite is true. Giving up your time and heart from another country is on a whole other level. You're telling me they don't feel just as emotional as someone who lives on the GC? I don't think so. Unless you stridently follow a team from far away you wouldn't know what it's like I guess. And that's not anyone's fault. But it certainly doesn't hurt ANY less.

End vent.

And my bigfooty time is over, been a fun cpl years, mods please delete my account. Cheers.

And my bigfooty time is over, been a fun cpl years, mods please delete my account. Cheers.

Hey no-one wants to see you or Sandy pulling the pin mate.

C'mon back & enjoy. If people irk you then chuck em on ignore.

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll leave the raging till the actual season, but I believe we should have kept Iles instead of Wilkinson. Fair enough, trying to develop him with his great athleticism, but he doesn't have half the football brain that Iles had. Terrible kick, couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Hope I'm proven wrong, but I definitely think Iles would have contributed more to us in the long run compared to what Wilko can offer.

I'll leave the raging till the actual season, but I believe we should have kept Iles instead of Wilkinson. Fair enough, trying to develop him with his great athleticism, but he doesn't have half the football brain that Iles had. Terrible kick, couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Hope I'm proven wrong, but I definitely think Iles would have contributed more to us in the long run compared to what Wilko can offer.

I to am also on the Wilko hate train. Can't see him being above Weller, Tape, Shaw or Harbrow in defense. I hope we don't play him in the season proper. It feels like he's more of a passenger then a helper on the field.

I might be the odd one out, but I'm prepared to stick with Wilko for this year and next (even that means we just demote him to the rookie list). The bloke has only played 16 games in defence for a side that has been under siege for most of that time. Last night he was running with Adam Goodes for some of the time - that's a tough gig for a 16 gamer! On top of that he only started playing club footy in 2009. He is the best trainer at the club and sets a benchmark that I hope our other players are trying to match on the track (yes even if that means Jack Martin pushing for a 160kg bench press :p ). The kid is a hard worker, obviously has brains (studying Biomedical Science at Uni) and has a great head on his shoulders. I'm sure the club didn't select him thinking he was a "ready to go" type player. If/when his footy brain reaches his athletic performance, then we'll have a player. I'm prepared to give him more time to reach that potential. Unfortunately with our list reductions, that may have to be via the rookie list.

Sincerely hope that's not because of what I said WrongUn

You'd really hope not. Being a Perth based supporter I felt somewhat belittled by his comments so if he's having a sook from your comment then someone needs to toughen up a little. My passion is not hindered one iota by my geographical situation.

You'd really hope not. Being a Perth based supporter I felt somewhat belittled by his comments so if he's having a sook from your comment then someone needs to toughen up a little. My passion is not hindered one iota by my geographical situation.
Yep, couldn't agree more. You are far more eloquent than me though - 'belittled' is spot on.

The other thing that's been bugging me about a couple posters is their constant reference to a supposed moral high ground over everyone else because they either 1) Have been there from the beginning (which actually most of us have anyway), 2) Live on the Goldy and can attend every game and family day/function.
These 2 points do not give anyone the right to bag out the club cos you are frustrated, you are on the same page as every other passionate supporter on this board so get off your high horse.

That was mainly in reference to the NAB cup thread. And remember people it's the NAB freaking cup, can your lame knee jerk reactions. Other boards must be having a field day laughing at some of the garbage written, it's actually laughable.

No offence, but this is a vent thread for aggressive opinion towards the club and/or players....lets not turn this into a slinging match at each other.

We're all on the same freakin side! :D

Not my intentions! Just getting it off my chest and felt this was a good place for it, I have nothing further to add.

supernova_ is right. This is a thread to vent stuff at the club, not each other. People shouldn't feel a need to defend their strong opinions to the footy club, just get it out. Not each other, as that's when it gets personal and people get offended. :)

For instance, this would be the place to vent that Vossy was a bit of a **** for bringing us into this whole NAB Cup GF thing.

EDIT: Don't take it to heart, Fraser4Brownlow, as I'm not coming down on you. Just clearing up what the thread is designed for. :D

supernova_ is right. This is a thread to vent stuff at the club, not each other. People shouldn't feel a need to defend their strong opinions to the footy club, just get it out. Not each other, as that's when it gets personal and people get offended. :)

For instance, this would be the place to vent that Vossy was a bit of a **** for bringing us into this whole NAB Cup GF thing.

EDIT: Don't take it to heart, Fraser4Brownlow, as I'm not coming down on you. Just clearing up what the thread is designed for. :D

Yeah had a feeling my post wasn't really within the ambit of the OP, just wanted to express that somewhere.

I will have plenty of more relevant things to add to this vent post, don't you worry!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back