patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
Whenever I think of Terry Wallace I think of good ol' Abe Simpson.

Grandpa-Abe-Simpson.jpeg
123808-terry-wallace.jpg

They even look alike.

Apex61

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Roar
So how far are we into the Terry Wallace I know nothing about footy 10 years of pain?
I had a lot of pain last year as we racked up 10 wins and beat 2 top 4 sides.

This is the 3rd year on my books and we are looking at heading into the top 8.
Tigers might get into the 8 after a 30 year rebuild.

Same.

Personally I don't think Voss can coach. Just get that feeling. Also, our pre-Hadley drafting has been poor - see Collier, Hawksley & Austin - and the addition of Raines and Buchanan has been a punt that was never likely to add much than a greater games tally.

I don't agree with the diagnosis of our defence as strong either. While the recruitment of Maguire saved us last year, I think he's a player not suited to the modern game (although it'll be interested to see what effect the interchange rule change has). Merrett has been flaky and on a downward trend.

A decade of pain? Nice hyperbole Terry. But it's not going to be pretty for a while.

Wow, in hindsight, I'm an idiot. Actually I knew that already.

Many a wrong call in there. Although it's still not a lay-down misere, I would like to officially retract the above bolded bits.

And to be fair to Wallace, he did say up to a decade. A year is "up to".

Yeah, he just fobbed it off with "things change" and a re-definition of "pain" (which is fair enough).

(I gave Plough a bit of a dig about his prediction on twitter. Gave it straight back, and I wouldn't expect anything less. :D )

Wouldn't have a clue how to embed a tweet, but links below anyway.

Wow, in hindsight, I'm an idiot. Actually I knew that already.

Many a wrong call in there. Although it's still not a lay-down misere, I would like to officially retract the above bolded bits.

And to be fair to Wallace, he did say up to a decade. A year is "up to".

I don't even want to think about some of the stuff I've said over the past few years. I'm just going to quietly hope everyone has forgotten it.

As for Vossy's coaching, those who argued that it wasn't the man himself, but the lack of support around him in the early years, are looking very smart.

Hey if it's 2020, why aren't I retired and living in Paris?
Not so different to Melb really. They have the Eiffel Tower and we have the Awful Tower at the Arts Centre. They have the ugliest building in the World, the Pomperdou Centre, and we have the next in Fed Square. They do a lot of Oui in public places, and we do wee in ours.

As for Vossy's coaching, those who argued that it wasn't the man himself, but the lack of support around him in the early years, are looking very smart.

I've seen that argument run fairly recently too - something about us having a bargain basement coaching group surrounding Voss and that it would cost us.

Hmmm, we've got a former senior coach in Harvey, one of the rising talents of coaching in Wowoedin, one of the more experienced assistant/footy manager guys in O'Donnell, a guy whose worked under 2 of the best in Malthouse and Thompson (Fletcher) and a young up and comer in Davis.

A few people mistake public profile for quality. The Geelong coaching set-up in their flag years was much lauded but didn't have much in the way of big "names". Guys like Sanderson and McCartney didn't attract the headlines but obviously were first class coaches in their own right.

I also think it is nigh on impossible to really judge the work of assistants but.......our development of players is looking pretty solid right about now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apex61

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Roar
Going to love it when the Tigers fail to make the 8 again this year.
The media hype train pumping up there tires again.

You know we at the Lions are just "getting lucky". Oh no hard work and guts ain't doing anything, all luck my friend.

Well links didn't work.

So I'll cut and paste.

Just pasting in the link will do the nice embedding. What you'll notice though that it doesn't show up immediately so it looks, to you, like it didn't work. It's almost got me thinking I messed up a couple of times. But give it a second or a page refresh and you'll see your embedded tweets just fine.

Yeah, he just fobbed it off with "things change" and a re-definition of "pain" (which is fair enough).

(I gave Plough a bit of a dig about his prediction on twitter. Gave it straight back, and I wouldn't expect anything less. :D )

Wait, so Terry's now revising his statement to '2 more years of pain'? :rolleyes:

From the original article: "Wallace said he saw no way out of the mire for the Lions in the near future."

"When you allow players to leave of the ilk Brisbane have . . . they're all in their mid-20s and at that age they are going to be around for six years," he said."They also let Henderson go, the pick Carlton used for Lucas and the pick Melbourne used for Grimes. So you've got six years for those other blokes and 10 years for those three. Now they've got a situation where . . . they haven't been able to deal with the three WA boys because of the Fevola issue and they've been salary-capped to the hilt."The likelihood is that one or two . . . of those guys are likely to end up leaving, because they've had better offers while their club was procrastinating because of what happened. With three of them out [of contract], I'd be amazed if GWS hadn't been able to put a deal to one of those guys, who would have been nervous, and locked them in."

Man up and admit to being wrong again Terry.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
I've seen that argument run fairly recently too - something about us having a bargain basement coaching group surrounding Voss and that it would cost us.

Hmmm, we've got a former senior coach in Harvey, one of the rising talents of coaching in Wowoedin, one of the more experienced assistant/footy manager guys in O'Donnell, a guy whose worked under 2 of the best in Malthouse and Thompson (Fletcher) and a young up and comer in Davis.

A few people mistake public profile for quality. The Geelong coaching set-up in their flag years was much lauded but didn't have much in the way of big "names". Guys like Sanderson and McCartney didn't attract the headlines but obviously were first class coaches in their own right.

I also think it is nigh on impossible to really judge the work of assistants but.......our development of players is looking pretty solid right about now.

A quality post, coacing these days is about the sum of the group, not just the head man. Geelong also had Ken Hinkley during its glory years - don't underestimate his rol there or the role he is about to play at Port. He just gets footy. All positive at this time of the year.

A quality post, coacing these days is about the sum of the group, not just the head man. Geelong also had Ken Hinkley during its glory years - don't underestimate his rol there or the role he is about to play at Port. He just gets footy. All positive at this time of the year.
And not many recall that he was a Lion before he was a Cat.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
And not many recall that he was a Lion before he was a Cat.
Please don't remind me, it was painful watching this "freak" dominate your league, knowing that he was good enough yet seemingly willing to give it up because of homesickness / hatred of the city and a girl. Like a few in the day, Fitzroy traded him to Geelong for some magic beans and under Blight he grew into a better player than he would ever have been at the roys. An outstanding coach and bloke, if Voss had of got the flick he was my No.1 Candidate for coach. Port are unashamedly my No. 2 side atm because of him, He will significantly improve any player he coaches because he just gets footy and simplifies and explains it to players of all levels.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our drafting gets talked about on this board a lot, but I think our development is just as impressive.

I think we have picked some great kids, but I continue to be impressed about how we seem to be able to bring them along so quickly. It's like they are scanned for all their deficiencies at the start and they are prescribed the exact right remedial exercises to eradicate them. So many of our young players seem so well balanced, and well rounded, even the really low picks.

Many of them are young and not big enough and strong enough yet, but it's not often we are saying player x still can't kick, or turns the ball over too much or makes bad decisions.

I think we obsess a bit too much about the draft. While nature has a lot to do with it I think we undervalue nurture quite a bit here.

Was a similar discussion on 360 last Wednesday weevs. They mentioned how hard it is to excell at the draft, and that credit really has to go to how we've developed our players. I think our coaching setup right now is in a really good place. Obviously Dan Collins had to go a few years back, and I also wasn't too big a fan of Rawlings, but all the other small changes we've made really seem to have had an effect.

Still probably a few years off seeing if this group really come on as well as they look like they will, but there'd be a solid argument for us having one of the best track records with developing draft picks over the past 5 years in the competition, if not the best. Wonder how much of it also has to do with the type of people we draft - hard working, committed, decent young men.

I really like the programs we have in place, especially for the year 1-3 players, and that's only the stuff we know on the outside. Burton has been such a big get for us, the way he has adjusted things for all our young players is amazing, as are the results year to year. The fitness we are building in our younger players seems to develop at a perfect pace, quick results, but not so quick that it causes injuries or burn outs. Other things such as having the camps and activities for the young players to help bond go a long way. I think it's very much that french foreign legion type scenario, we simply have to have great development programs, both on and off the field with many of our players being from inter state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back