Game Day Round 1 - Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordan has said many times that we are trying to get a full house to the Brisbane game and even the players have been told to tweet #gatherthepack to build excitement and get as many people as we can to the game. 100's maybe even 1000's of tickets have been given away for free to the community to inflate our supporter base for the game.

With the odds drifting out to $3 dollars for us to win at home against an interstate club and our captain injured things do not look like they are going to plan.

What this does mean is that Stringer is a certainty to play if he's ankle is OK. The decision won't be Macca's on that selection.
You could be right that there is pressure to select him. However I would be very concerned if Macca didn't at least have right of veto if he thought it was the wrong move for either the player or the team (as distinct from the club).

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
B: Picken------Roughead-----Young
HB: JJ-----------Morris-------Goodes
C: Stevens-----Griffen-------Wallis
HF: Murphy-------Jones-------Higgins
F: Dal----------Cordy-------Gia
R: Minson-------Libba-------Cross

B: Dickson Lower Cooney (if not fit, Macrae)
S: Stringer

Picken to tag Zorko, Lower to tag Rich. Young/Talia I'm not fussed with. Would like Hrovat in the team but can't find a spot unless he is given a run with role on Rich.

touchwood27

Debutant
Apr 7, 2005
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
western bulldogs
Possible worst case scenario team if Wood and Cooney dont get up.

B. Brett GOODES (McGrath), Dale MORRIS (Brown), Jordan ROUGHEAD (Martin)

HB. Jason JOHANNISEN (Zorko), Tom YOUNG (Cornelius), Daniel CROSS (Bewick)

C. Liam PICKEN (Rockliff), Nick LOWER (Rich), Ryan GRIFFEN (Raines)

HF. Tory DICKSON (Hanley), Liam JONES (Maguire), Robert MURPHY (Patfull)

F. Luke DAHLHAUS (Yeo), Ayce CORDY (Merrett), Daniel GIANSIRACUSA (Adcock)

FOLL. Will MINSON (Longer), Tom LIBERATORE (Moloney), Mitch WALLIS (Redden)

INTER - Higgins, Tutt, Smith, Stevens
INTER - Karnezis, Green, Golby, Beams

EMERG - Hrovat, Addison, HowardEMERG - Polkinghorne, Lester, Docherty

Defensive Structure - With Wood out I think Tommy YOUNG has earnt a crack and has the versatility to either match up on a tall or a small. I'd stick with Dale on Brown and let Roughie go with Martin. Crossy I think will spend more time off half back and provides a good match up for Bewick who has been in good touch and used as a key evenue to goal. Id let JJ have a run with Zorko. Both have explosive pace and it would be a great learning experience for him. GOODSEY on McGrath, to make him accountable and run off.

MIDS - Raines usually runs with Griff and has done a rersonable job the past couple of outtings. I'd let Lower at Rich, did a fantastic job on COTCHIN last week. This would free Picko up to annoy Rockliff for the afternoon. Id let Libba and Wall in at the first bounce. Minno should be the key here against the inexperienced Longer and martin Id say will pinch hit.

Up forward Dicko pushing up in a defensive typre forward role on hanley whos run and drive is a catlyst for most Brisbane forward thrusts. Jonesy Id imagine will get either Merrett or Maguire. Id throw Ayce down there purely to provide an option and hopefully take Merrett away from Jones.

You could be right that there is pressure to select him. However I would be very concerned if Macca didn't at least have right of veto if he thought it was the wrong move for either the player or the team (as distinct from the club).

Stringer picks himself, his little cameo appearance in the NAB cup screams PICK ME!

Possible worst case scenario team if Wood and Cooney dont get up.

B. Brett GOODES (McGrath), Dale MORRIS (Brown), Jordan ROUGHEAD (Martin)

HB. Jason JOHANNISEN (Zorko), Tom YOUNG (Cornelius), Daniel CROSS (Bewick)

C. Liam PICKEN (Rockliff), Nick LOWER (Rich), Ryan GRIFFEN (Raines)

HF. Tory DICKSON (Hanley), Liam JONES (Maguire), Robert MURPHY (Patfull)

F. Luke DAHLHAUS (Yeo), Ayce CORDY (Merrett), Daniel GIANSIRACUSA (Adcock)

FOLL. Will MINSON (Longer), Tom LIBERATORE (Moloney), Mitch WALLIS (Redden)

INTER - Higgins, Tutt, Smith, Stevens
INTER - Karnezis, Green, Golby, Beams

EMERG - Hrovat, Addison, HowardEMERG - Polkinghorne, Lester, Docherty

Defensive Structure - With Wood out I think Tommy YOUNG has earnt a crack and has the versatility to either match up on a tall or a small. I'd stick with Dale on Brown and let Roughie go with Martin. Crossy I think will spend more time off half back and provides a good match up for Bewick who has been in good touch and used as a key evenue to goal. Id let JJ have a run with Zorko. Both have explosive pace and it would be a great learning experience for him. GOODSEY on McGrath, to make him accountable and run off.

MIDS - Raines usually runs with Griff and has done a rersonable job the past couple of outtings. I'd let Lower at Rich, did a fantastic job on COTCHIN last week. This would free Picko up to annoy Rockliff for the afternoon. Id let Libba and Wall in at the first bounce. Minno should be the key here against the inexperienced Longer and martin Id say will pinch hit.

Up forward Dicko pushing up in a defensive typre forward role on hanley whos run and drive is a catlyst for most Brisbane forward thrusts. Jonesy Id imagine will get either Merrett or Maguire. Id throw Ayce down there purely to provide an option and hopefully take Merrett away from Jones.
Really really don't like that team. Lower AND picken in the midfield. Cross at half back. No thanks. No speed anywhere. I don't think we can carry Dickson, and gia as mid forwards together. Waaaay too slow.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My crack at a round 1 team
B: Morris Roughead Picken
HB: JJ Young Goodes
C: Griffen Wallis Stevens
HF: Murphy Jones Dahl
F: Gia Cordy Macrae
FOLL: Minson Libba Lower
INT: Cross Higgins Smith SUB: Tutt
EMG: Dickson Pearce Stringer

If Cooney is right he would come in, Tutt out and Macrae Sub.

I don't think Dickson and Gia can be in the same team when we have Cordy as our main deep forward option as the team will be too slow and opposition defenders will feast on the ball when it hits the ground.

I don't think Dickson and Gia can be in the same team when we have Cordy as our main deep forward option as the team will be too slow and opposition defenders will feast on the ball when it hits the ground.

Not sure where this has crept into people's minds from, Dickson adds the most defensive pressure of anyone on our forwardline, whilst not fast, he certainly is not slow in the Giansiracusa mould. Will play, 100% Guaranteed.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Not sure where this has crept into people's minds from, Dickson adds the most defensive pressure of anyone on our forwardline, whilst not fast, he certainly is not slow in the Giansiracusa mould. Will play, 100% Guaranteed.

Agreed. I do agree with the general concern about our forward potentially being too slow, dependant on the setup. For example.

Higgins Jones Murphy
Gia Williams Cordy

Would be slower than the off season....

But given that Williams is unlikely to play and Higgins is doubtful and can also rotate heavily through the middle.

Dickson Jones Murphy
Gia Cordy Stringer/Dahl

Looks quite reasonable and a nice blend up front. Some real silk and work ethic there, along with a couple of quick and quick thinking players.

Stringer picks himself, his little cameo appearance in the NAB cup screams PICK ME!
Smith has to play. He's improved out of sight during the off season. Must be rewarded for that with game time.
I don't mind if Stringer plays DrB (not sure if srs) but I agree with Fronk... Smith has played 3 excellent games and one good half-game in the pre-season. He's been among our best nearly every time. Stringer has played a 10 minute cameo with one flash of brilliance.

I will be extremely disappointed if Smith misses out on being in the first 21. So will he. What else does he need to do?

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I don't mind if Stringer plays DrB (not sure if srs) but I agree with Fronk... Smith has played 3 excellent games and one good half-game in the pre-season. He's been among our best nearly every time. Stringer has played a 10 minute cameo with one flash of brilliance.

I will be extremely disappointed if Smith misses out on being in the first 21. So will he. What else does he need to do?
Yeah, spot on. I would pick Smith over Stringer at this stage. Smith has paid his dues over the preseason. Stringer's time will come, let's not throw him in just yet.

Exciting to see a debut like this. Would he be expected to start in the green vest?

I don't think he would start as the sub - not the type of player we need in this role Haso.

(... this means he will start as sub. :()

what did you say

All Australian
Jun 8, 2012
kew
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
women,green edge,soccer
funny thing i watched goodes last year an thought it was his least better year then the two before it (sore knee to), but gets drafted an plays a good role in the nab,needless to say i'll stick to my day job haha...

really keen to see lower go around.aot to offer if his body holds up.

Sep 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My crack at the team:

FB: Morris - Roughead - JJ
HB: Goodes - Young - Stevens

C: Griffen - Smith - Lower
Foll: Minson - Libba - Wallis

HF: Picken - Jones - Murphy
FF: Dickson - Cordy - Dahlhaus

Int: Cross - Grant - Higgins
Sub: Macrae

This is assuming Cooney and Wood don't play - Cooney comes in for Grant, and Wood in for Young - if fit.

As for Stringer - if he is properly fit he should be considered, but given his injury I'd rather just see him brought in after a couple of games for Willi.

Looking forward to seeing our future shape-up this season - seeing a young midfield with Smith, Libba and Wallis is pretty exciting really...

BTW, this team would be 5 players making their debut for us!!!

Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
West Ham
I'm gonna say Grant definitely won't play as well, even if Cooney is out.
Wouldn't be too surprised to see Grant get a game - if it's pace we need it's something he's got and with our outs at the moment he may have a role to play. Can anyone see him playing anywhere other than the forward line?

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back