B Thorton McCutchan Williams
HB M. Johnston Croft Woodley
C Dillon C. Johnston Purcell
HF McKenzie S. O’Sullivan Barnes
F Mascitti McTaggart Hammond
R Prowse Smith T. O’Sullivan
Int Allan Gordon Muling Johns O’Farrell MacMillan
Raru Bruest Jenkins

Do we have to leave a few players out due to the restricted AFL listed players rule against non-aligned sides?

I think former Stanger, Aaron Johns may be playing firsts for Port against us this week?

Do we have to leave a few players out due to the restricted AFL listed players rule against non-aligned sides?

I think former Stanger, Aaron Johns may be playing firsts for Port against us this week?

My feeling is that that rule no longer applies.

Let's not forget that Port Melbourne are cashed up and can spend quite a lot of money on player salaries.

Hell of a squad.

It is hard to believe the teams back in 09 where we sometimes only had half a dozen listed players capable of running out for BHH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is an interesting side. They are playing all the rucks and using them at the expense of KP players such as O'Brien and Brand getting games. Not sure how happy I am about that especially when Ceglar is a rookie. Will be interesting to see it works out but from a selfish HFC perspecitve would prefer to see O'Brien and Brand playing senior VFL, especially given Brand's form last weekend.

Also Mirra Iles Langford named on the bench??!!!!

Great to see Ossie back.

Looking forward to getting down there today too.

gee box hill got torched on the turnovers in there forward 50,the port transition killed them,its just like watching hawthorn,the game plan is crap..port were waltzing the ball out of defence and finding un opposed players everwhere.grimley showed signs....spanger presented well and did ok....simkin ordinary...ossie needed the run didnt do much...cheeney ok.

Hawks lose by 4 points.

Lake got thru unscathed, Cheney BOG , Grimley 3 goals , Spangher good , Tim O'BRIEN has a lot of filling out but will be a star.

Some of Lake's one-on-one work on their key forwards was precisely what we drafted him for. Been a while since we've seen it in a "Hawks" jumper.

First time I've seen O'Brien and there were glimpses of real promise. Strong hands and tough contested grabs. He's got a strong-looking frame that could really fill out.

Somehow over summer, Grimley's gone from a nobody to a key forward with real presence. I'd given up on him.

Lowden nailed some raking set shot goals, a shame he's so timid for such a big guy. Backed out noticeably under a high ball.

Despite losing, I thought BHH had the upper hand for a great part of the game and some of their ball movement and marking was exciting. Some useful pick-ups and a better balanced squad this year, could be a good one.

Today was a really good display of what a well coached team can do against a more talented line up. Love him or hate him Ayresy consistently proves he can coach. Port were simply more cohesive. It is a concern that we were not fitter. I do not understand that.

Of the HFC guys:
Ceglar played second ruck resting forward. When he rucked we won most clearances. I rate him as our best tap ruck. His leap and control of his tapping is first rate. This guy can play and I hope he gets a shot at AFL this season, reckon he would acquit himself well.

Duryea played off a back flank. Does enough good things to suggest he will make it. His kicking is easily AFL standard. I love it when he backs himself and peels off his opponent. At VFL level he needs to be playing more as an onballer just to keep him in the play.

Langers rotated through a wing and HBF. He did some real strong acts in close. Again he should be playing as an inside mid just to stay in the game. He tired badly in the last, get him fit and we have a player.

Spanker played as a lead up HFF. Gotta love the way he continually presents and hits the ball. Dunno if he has the polish for AFL but he is as honest as they come and will do a job if required.

TOB played as the third forward. He is very elegant in the way he moves. Games like this are invaluable to him. The more he runs up against hungry players the better. TOB had little influence but his class was evident.

Ossie had limited game time and did not do a heap of running. On about four occasions he tried for Mark Of The Year. With a forward line of one resting ruck, Grim and TOB we could have used a crumber. Oz played a dumb game. Ayresy would not have tolerated it.

Wang was on the wing and on the ball. When he was near the play he was good. He has stepped his game up from last year and is playing with a sense of urgency that I thought was lacking.

Amos was permanent forward. Same as last year. Plays opportunistic footy very well does not do much else.

Cheney ran off a HBF. Good solid game. If someone falls over at HFC he is next cab.

Simpkin started as a forward then in the second Q moved into the guts. He accumulates possessions solid game without ever being dominant.

The Grim. Pretty much played CHF. Massive, massive improver. He got to more contests today than I have ever seen. Still a work in progress but a few more showings like today and he will be demanding promotion.

Lowden is better than last year. He was up against Wayde Skipper. Skipper had the better of the contest.

Hallahan ran the game out. Very much an inside mid, his speed is a concern.

Kelly and Litherland were solid enough.

Brian stood at FB. He did not get injured.

We should have been better in running this game out.

Besides that it was such a beautiful day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back