Expansion Wellington Based Club ?? For Sure !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Whilst this game in Wellington tonight is being played under the guise of an Anzac Day clash, nothing could be surer than it's a trial of whether there is a market over there for our game.

Based on there being around 16K at what is being described as a "purpose built" AFL stadium, the answer is 'yes'.

The AFL is keen to build the number of teams it has and given that there is already a NZ team in the NRL, you know it's only a matter of time before we have our first international club - Wellington FC here come !!

Just not sure what their logo will be ...........

Yeah, nah. There is a large number of Aus based supporters travelling for the novelty value and I'd be interested how many of the rest actually paid for their seat.

'Purpose built AFL stadium'?

It's an oval.

In the lead-in to the match, one of the TV boffins claims it was a purpose-built AFL ground, don't shoot the messenger.

Also, if you think about it, with Wellington being 3-hours behind the east coast of Australia, they could play home games locally at 2:10pm which would be 11:10am here. The AFL would love that, televise a game starting late morning, then a traditional afternoon match followed by a twilight game.

They'd be licking their chops in anticipation of the TV rights and the mass saturation they'd be able to apply.

In the lead-in to the match, one of the TV boffins claims it was a purpose-built AFL ground, don't shoot the messenger.

Also, if you think about it, with Wellington being 3-hours behind the east coast of Australia, they could play home games locally at 2:10pm which would be 11:10am here. The AFL would love that, televise a game starting late morning, then a traditional afternoon match followed by a twilight game.

They'd be licking their chops in anticipation of the TV rights and the mass saturation they'd be able to apply.

Yeah have a match broadcast to the west coast while they are sitting down to breakfast, cracking idea.

Yeah have a match broadcast to the west coast while they are sitting down to breakfast, cracking idea.

70% of the Australian population lives on the east coast with SA & NT only 30mins behind that. Perth is always going to be a problem for fixturing due to the distance & time delay but it's the smallest population of all the capital cities we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if they are willing to sit through this mess they are probably a captive market

I hear you, it's not the most attractive match tonight due to the wet, cold & greasy conditions but if played earlier in the day, the weather may be somewhat better and the standard would hopefully improve accordingly.

Failing that, put a roof on it. :p

70% of the Australian population lives on the east coast with SA & NT only 30mins behind that. Perth is always going to be a problem for fixturing due to the distance & time delay but it's the smallest population of all the capital cities we have.
You mean except Adelaide, Canberra, Hobart and Darwin; and maybe Brisbane soon enough?
Perth is the second biggest footy market by a long way.

You mean except Adelaide, Canberra, Hobart and Darwin; and maybe Brisbane soon enough?
Perth is the second biggest footy market by a long way.

Brisbane & Adelaide have Perth covered and Darwin is just another Geelong.

By the way, any coincidence that the AFL promotional ads this season show people in other countries watching our game ?? Maybe a conspiracy theory but its all adding up to me.

Would be the ultimate insult to Tasmania.

Every Tasmanian's face after they launch the first NZ club without them having one:

images
images

Would be the ultimate insult to Tasmania.

The problem with Tassie is that there are only two genuine options (Hobart & Launceston) which are at opposite ends of the island so there is never the liklihood of generating huge crowds. The population of the whole state was 512,100 in March 2012 so their people are spread way too thin.

By the way, any coincidence that the AFL promotional ads this season show people in other countries watching our game ?? Maybe a conspiracy theory but its all adding up to me.
Perth is way bigger than Adelaide.
Greater Adelaide : 1,225,235 (Whole of South Australia : 1,596,572)
Greater Perth : 1,728,867
2011 Census figures

Perth is way bigger than Adelaide and to that poster who suggested Perth with be bigger than Brisbane, well possibly but Brisbane can't expand further along the coastline as there is the GC and Sunny Coast. So I highly doubt any Perth Metro area will get to 3.5 million people.

Pretty sure it's the Hurricanes main home ground, got upgraded for the recent RU world cup

Perth is way bigger than Adelaide and to that poster who suggested Perth with be bigger than Brisbane, well possibly but Brisbane can't expand further along the coastline as there is the GC and Sunny Coast. So I highly doubt any Perth Metro area will get to 3.5 million people.

Yeah, I was referring to the possibility of Perth overtaking Brisbane only, not including Sunshine and Gold Coasts. It was in response to "capitals".
I belive Perth's growth outstrips Brisbane's considerably, but the gap is still bigger than I thought it was to be honest.

That said, Perth sides could always play away against a hypothetical NZ team on Saturday nights and play at home the following Sunday. With two, or potentially three or even four, WA clubs it shouldn't be that hard to accommodate in the fixturing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back