Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
After experimenting with DE shaving for about 2 years I've settled on my basics

My dad's 1951 vintage Gillette Tech razor with Personna Red blades

Vulfix boar bristle brush

Taylor's Sandalwood shaving soap

Taylor's Shave Shop AS

How is the TOBS shaving soap?

i recently picked up a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat and I cannot believe how good this stuff is. It is the first soap I have used and leaves creams for dead, I reckon. Lather on the puck for 10s and then lather straight to face. Have bowl lathered too, but just as good a result with face lathering.

childeric

All Australian
Aug 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The Arsenal, New England Patriots,
How is the TOBS shaving soap?

i recently picked up a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat and I cannot believe how good this stuff is. It is the first soap I have used and leaves creams for dead, I reckon. Lather on the puck for 10s and then lather straight to face. Have bowl lathered too, but just as good a result with face lathering.

TOBS is the best I've tried for lathering and smoothness of shave

A few months ago I bought a Floris JF shaving soap from a sale at Henry Bucks- it makes a good, smooth lather and looks to be long lasting but its regular price would be too high for me -SALE price was about $55!!

caMoGFC

Bigfooty Super Elite
Jul 24, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
after reading that post asking about TOBS shaving soap i decided to use my TABAC soap which hasn't had a run in almost a year since i moved houses and i can't believe i was so lazy to not unpack it!

closest and slickest shave i've had in a LONNNNNNGGGGGGG time! couldn't believe how cleanly the blade glided (astra's are my most preferred blade fwiw) across my face!

will def be lathering with the soap more regularly again from now on :thumbsu:

childeric

All Australian
Aug 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Recently got Malizia Vetyver AS from the Shaver Shop for $16

It has virtually no sting and soothes very fast

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
At risk of looking like a lepper

About 6 months ago I just started shaving blind in the shower with a gillette fusion, no soap/cream of after shave

Its easily been the best decision I've made since turning 18. I used to get a really itchy nose after shaving with cream/out of the shower and my face felt dry/irritated. Its now 5 times faster and I feel so much better, it literally feels like I havent shaved

childeric

All Australian
Aug 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I'm using Perma-Sharp Super blades from Russia at the moment and they give very close results and last an extraordinarily long time for me

They work well with the Floris shaving soap

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Somewhat reviving this thread, I've only ever used an electric shaver so I've no idea how to use a normal razor and recently my shaver has been giving me grief because I've only just had to start shaving every day (new job, corporate environment).
My skin just isn't used to it and the shaver is at least 4 years old now and I'm looking to upgrade.

Price isn't an issue I just want a good shaver that won't leave me with red marks etc. especially around the neck/under the chin which my current shaver struggles to get to and when it does I get ingrowns/red dots etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations other than learn how to manually shave? I can't be bothered and don't wanna end up with bits of paper on my face!

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I take it that when you say "manually shave" you mean shave with a double edged razor? If you don't want to use a DE, and you just want a cartridge razor, I'd go with a three-blade. Anything more than that, I can't tell the difference. My housemate buys from www.aussieshave.com and he really rates them.

Important thing though is to get a good shave soap and a brush. The brush is expensive but worth it. They'll give you a good shave with no irritation, far better than foams and gels.

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I take it that when you say "manually shave" you mean shave with a double edged razor? If you don't want to use a DE, and you just want a cartridge razor, I'd go with a three-blade. Anything more than that, I can't tell the difference. My housemate buys from www.aussieshave.com and he really rates them.

Important thing though is to get a good shave soap and a brush. The brush is expensive but worth it. They'll give you a good shave with no irritation, far better than foams and gels.
By manually shave I mean anything not electric. Wouldn't have the faintest idea how to shave with a cartridge or DE.

Tbh, not even sure what a DE is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
It depends on your beard type. I have used both Braun and Phillips and I find Phillips to be better for me as I have a tough beard.

However my preference is for double edge with a Merkur 33C, Mitchells Wool Fat and a variety of different blades. I wet shave 2-3 times per week and use the electric on other days, if at all.

Caesar's advice is on the money. Invest in a quality shave soap and brush. I have not used a cartidge razor with a shave soap and brush, but reckon you'd get better result than using the stuff out of a can.

There is a real cult around wet shaving.

DrKrieger

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Miller, Williams
I must admit to being surprised at the number who only use electric shavers.

Normally use a Mach 3, but also have an old Philips electric with a flip out beard trimmer, find if I let the beard get too long I can use the flip out to cut it fairly short and then finish it with a proper shave, no tugging or pulling.

In saying that I've decided that when I run out of cartridges for the current razor I'm going to get myself a bowl, a brush and one of these.

18b978ea.jpg.505x650_q85.jpg

I fully expect to have severe lacerations in the first few weeks, and will probably hang on to the electric for the days when I don't have enough time before work, but I'd like to think it will all be worth it.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bowl and brush is a great idea but TBH I wouldn't bother with a straight edge. I'd just get a double edged safety. It will give you a miles better shave than your Mach 3 / electric, and once you get the hang of it it's quick and easy enough to use before work.

Cutthroats are slow and tricky to use, and sharpening them all the time seems like a pain in the arse.

DrKrieger

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Miller, Williams
Bowl and brush is a great idea but TBH I wouldn't bother with a straight edge. I'd just get a double edged safety. It will give you a miles better shave than your Mach 3 / electric, and once you get the hang of it it's quick and easy enough to use before work.

Cutthroats are slow and tricky to use, and sharpening them all the time seems like a pain in the arse.

Yeah I've been considering the stropping/honing issue, the other option is I can get a shavette and just replace the blades, but if I'm honest I'd still prefer the straight edge, can't quite explain why.

Point taken about the time, although I'm planning on using it where I have the opportunity to take my time with it. I suppose a decent shavette only goes for $50 at the pricey end, so if it turns out to not agree with me I can always pick up a DE later.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I got my DE for less than $15 IIRC. Just a cheapie, and has lasted me a couple of years now. The blades are the important bit.

Using a cutthroat does seem like it would be fun though.

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
Somewhat reviving this thread, I've only ever used an electric shaver so I've no idea how to use a normal razor and recently my shaver has been giving me grief because I've only just had to start shaving every day (new job, corporate environment).
My skin just isn't used to it and the shaver is at least 4 years old now and I'm looking to upgrade.

Price isn't an issue I just want a good shaver that won't leave me with red marks etc. especially around the neck/under the chin which my current shaver struggles to get to and when it does I get ingrowns/red dots etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations other than learn how to manually shave? I can't be bothered and don't wanna end up with bits of paper on my face!

You can also try an Electric Shave Lubricant/Oil. Both King of Shaves and Spiek make a good electric pre-shave oil.

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
Today I experimented with a very quick DE shave with a shave oil only & it went okay. Need to be conservative with it, but result every bit as good as an electric finish in roughly the same time.

caMoGFC

Bigfooty Super Elite
Jul 24, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Today I experimented with a very quick DE shave with a shave oil only & it went okay. Need to be conservative with it, but result every bit as good as an electric finish in roughly the same time.

If you can only get it as good as an electric shave you may need some practice.

Lately i've been just trimming with the elecric as i havn't needed to be clean for quite a while but when double edge shaving the results are simply incomparable to even the best possible electric shave.

Fwiw i use a Merkur razor with astra blades and tabac soap or proraso cream.
I've tested multiple soaps and creams and blades but that combo works the best for me (mainly tabac soap).

This thread may have inspired me to have my first proper shave in a long time tomorrow :p

Jul 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Scored myself a $15 USB shaver from Coles for Fathers day.

Gave it a test spin this morning, reckon I'll rate it about a 1.5/10. Mostly cause it didn't burst into flames, cornflake style.

Alright, 10 days and a couple of shaves down, and my revised review.

I think my beard is probably, about, 10 days long right now. It's losing a point.

0.5/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back