Certified Legendary Thread Remembering fallen mates - Peter Chant

Remove this Banner Ad

Rucci has run the story of Peter Chant from Lockhart Road.

Great to see and I for one am really pleased that this Board has played some part in getting Peter's story out there and that Lockhart's wish for Peter's recognition has been fulfilled.

Fallen comrade's club tribute

312025-peter-chant.jpg

Peter Chant, front and centre, with Port Adelaide's 1961 line-up.

Lost - against the "Lest We Forget" mantra in the Anzac theme - is how the Port Adelaide Football Club had one of its league players fall in Vietnam in 1968.
Peter Chant played 10 league games for the Magpies in 1961-62. A rover, he was in a constant battle with Geoff "Sandy" Virgo to be in Port's first 18 in an extraordinary era at Alberton.
"He was a good bloke," says Philp. "And a pretty good player."
On the pickets at Alberton as Chant was breaking into the Magpies league side in 1961 was Norwood High School student Denis Way. After Way lost sight of Chant's work alongside the Port ruckmen in 1962, they next met at the Woodside barracks in May 1968 seven months after Way was conscripted to the 9th Battalion (RAR).
"Peter was a quiet bloke, softly spoken, softly smiling and impossible to dislike," recalls Way, who from service in Vietnam opted to live and work in Hong Kong.

Fallen comrade's club tribute

This was a great team effort by all involved, lead by Lockhart Road to get Peter's story out to us fans and the wider community. I will look forward to the pre game presentations with a bit of extra interest to see how Peter is recognised by the club, so I will be getting to my seat earlier than normal.

Graham Cornes has also written about Peter Chant

Honouring Australia's true heroes

MICHELANGELO Rucci's moving article about Peter Chant highlights what is both good and bad about football's Anzac Day rituals.

The spectacle at the MCG masks the hypocrisy of the AFL and society in general towards Anzac Day.
We need to be seen to be recognising the sacrifice and memory of those who have served and suffered but, in football terms, at least, it has become an event at which we clamour to be seen, and a brand - a brand that has now been franchised to New Zealand.

At least players from another two teams, Sydney and St Kilda, now have the chance to compete for an Anzac Medal.

The tragedy of Peter Chant exposes our real indifference to the reality of war.

It is my shame that as a Vietnam veteran, and a league footballer, I did not know that a Port Adelaide player had been killed in Vietnam.

His former comrades in 9 RAR cornered me on Anzac Day to tell me his story, showing me the emblem on their unit tie which symbolised Peter Chant.

They were at least grateful that Michelangelo had uncovered his story.

There now is the opportunity for the AFL to recognise, properly, his sacrifice.
To not do so would further fuel the resentment and the inferiority complex that has so beset those who served in Vietnam and returned home to an indifferent society.
Honouring Australia's true heroes

This isn't the place to be churlish but there are a couple of comments in Cornes's article though well-intended grate. Rucci did not uncover the story just as we did not. It was handed to him as it was to us by the perseverance and dedication of Peter's mates - in particular Lockhart Road - who carried his memory these past 40+ years as a fallen comrade and found a place to tell that story.

Cornes's dismissal of 'a society and a football public which now lives in the selfish moment of instant gratification, Facebook postings and 30-second sound bites' is unfair - it was this society that provided the forum to tell that story when Cornes himself admits to his shame at not knowing Peter's story. I am sure there are many young people here who have read Peter's story and have been moved by it.

ANZAC Day and the legends of heroes like Peter Chant and Bob Quinn should be a time of reflection of bravery, selflessness, recognition and sacrifice, not finger pointing and aggrandisement.

As the father of a teenage son I am glad he doesn't have to face the uncertainty of the National Service ballot.

This isn't the place to be churlish but there are a couple of comments in Cornes's article though well-intended grate. Rucci did not uncover the story just as we did not. It was handed to him as it was to us by the perseverance and dedication of Peter's mates - in particular Lockhart Road - who carried his memory these past 40+ years as a fallen comrade and found a place to tell that story.

Cornes's dismissal of 'a society and a football public which now lives in the selfish moment of instant gratification, Facebook postings and 30-second sound bites' is unfair - it was this society that provided the forum to tell that story when Cornes himself admits to his shame at not knowing Peter's story. I am sure there are many young people here who have read Peter's story and have been moved by it.

ANZAC Day and the legends of heroes like Peter Chant and Bob Quinn should be a time of reflection of bravery, selflessness, recognition and sacrifice, not finger pointing and aggrandisement.

As the father of a teenage son I am glad he doesn't have to face the uncertainty of the National Service ballot.

Well said mate, well bloody said.

I've read Michaelangelo Rucci's ground-breaking article in the Advertiser this morning; after a little while I'll pick it up and read it again, and again, no doubt.
I've read Graham Cornes' piece, too, and will do likewise.

Yes, Peter Chant is a name that is 'out there' today. Moreover, Peter Chant the man is back amongst us, in spirit. We, his mates of 1968-1969, thank everyone concerned for recognising him and presenting his story, and for bringing him back to us - and, I trust, his family - during this remembrance period. I was given the honour of carrying his flag on Thursday, so I perhaps felt him marching with us a little more than those around me.

There is one very important thing that so far, unless I've overlooked it, seems to have gone missing. This would not have happened if not for the Port Adelaide Football Club in its wholly pragmatic One Club format. It was the Club that picked this up from this board and did the rest. If the media has not given PAFC due credit as yet, then I'm doing it for them now.

Four of Peter's mates from 9RAR (three from Charlie Company, one being myself) have been invited with partners as guests of the PAFC to this evening's Pre-Match Function at Football Park, plus seats to watch the game, etc. One of our number was in the same action in which Peter lost his life. We are all honoured by such an invite, but we will remain aware that we will be there representing not ourselves, nor our units, but Peter Chant.

It's your Club - Peter Chant's Club - who are doing this for Peter, not the media.
And I thank the Club most deeply, yet again, for that. So do my mates.

I've read Michaelangelo Rucci's ground-breaking article in the Advertiser this morning; after a little while I'll pick it up and read it again, and again, no doubt.
I've read Graham Cornes' piece, too, and will do likewise.

Yes, Peter Chant is a name that is 'out there' today. Moreover, Peter Chant the man is back amongst us, in spirit. We, his mates of 1968-1969, thank everyone concerned for recognising him and presenting his story, and for bringing him back to us - and, I trust, his family - during this remembrance period. I was given the honour of carrying his flag on Thursday, so I perhaps felt him marching with us a little more than those around me.

There is one very important thing that so far, unless I've overlooked it, seems to have gone missing. This would not have happened if not for the Port Adelaide Football Club in its wholly pragmatic One Club format. It was the Club that picked this up from this board and did the rest. If the media has not given PAFC due credit as yet, then I'm doing it for them now.

Four of Peter's mates from 9RAR (three from Charlie Company, one being myself) have been invited with partners as guests of the PAFC to this evening's Pre-Match Function at Football Park, plus seats to watch the game, etc. One of our number was in the same action in which Peter lost his life. We are all honoured by such an invite, but we will remain aware that we will be there representing not ourselves, nor our units, but Peter Chant.

It's your Club - Peter Chant's Club - who are doing this for Peter, not the media.
And I thank the Club most deeply, yet again, for that. So do my mates.

Tears in my eyes.

We are Port Adelaide.

Wonderful sentiments Lockhart. You do your mate, this football club and all of us proud.

Portology and kaysee will be at the pre-match event tonight representing BigFooty, so keep an eye out.

A few of us will be standing in the outer at half time if you feel like getting out among the riff-raff. :D

Great effort Lockhart Road (or should we call you Kev Denis), you made the effort and brought Peter Chant to everyones attention. His family would be moved by your effort mate.

EFA..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a reason why I didn't quote all of Cornes' article and Ford has nicely summed up its deficiencies.

LR I hope you have a great day today with your mates and partners and that one of you get the chance to say a few words at the pre match function. And as you rightly say it is the One Club format that lets this sort of thing happen and that's the benefit of the merger and one day a total reunification that lots of little things that haven't happened the last 15 years, can now happen.

As Ford said, if you want to wonder over to the outer a few of us met at the back of bay 130 at half time and tend to watch the second half standing against the concourse wall.

Got a call from Rexie J this morning and he said that you might call me. Feel free to do so if you get the time. He also told me about what happened when you guys went to the club and were hosted by Matthew Richardson. As we were speaking I remember Matthew is in charge of Port's move to Adelaide Oval. At Adelaide Oval the club will have 24/7 x 365 day access to their SuiteOne facility and some of the other corporate facilities. It got me thinking that as we are not going to get an Anzac day game at AO from the AFL and wont get to see the Magpies play there unless they make a GF, then given access to the facilities and that the diggers usually finish marching around 12-12.30, then the club should invite some diggers into their facilities to watch the SANFL GF replay game. Maybe name the club's function in Peter's name.

I'm not sure who the club would invite but maybe work with the RSL with inviting different Battalions Companys Divisons each year. You probably have a better idea than me how this would work LR.

Congrats to all involved. I get goosebumps anytime I read any of Lockhart's posts on Peter, it really does reflect the absolute spirit and bond that exists between our servicemen and women. Thank you.

Memo to REH:

Thanks mate. Will endeavour to make contact before I fly back to Lockhart Road & environs on Tuesday a.m.

Rexie J will have noted that he is in the 1961 team photo (front row 2nd from lleft) with his dicky knees in full view. Loved those knees, dicky or no.

Our posse is off to Footy Park via Alberton shortly, so no time to expand on this. But your suggestion regarding an annual ANZAC commemorative event with PAFC associated with the Services is a capital idea, and one I'll be bringing up today with our Vice President 9RAR (SA) Association who is about to discover he's a new member of the Club (unless you tell him first).

Cheers
LR

Wonderful sentiments Lockhart. You do your mate, this football club and all of us proud.

Portology and kaysee will be at the pre-match event tonight representing BigFooty, so keep an eye out.

A few of us will be standing in the outer at half time if you feel like getting out among the riff-raff. :D

Been away for a few days and am catching up on this today. Fantastic post LR and all who've contributed. I'll endeavor to catch up with LR at the pre-game function and if he is interested I can walk him around to FF and REH, as I sit near them and know who they are.

Now to go and get ready for the game.

Cheers all.

I had the absolute privilege of meeting Lockhart Road tonight and I choose to believe Port won this for Peter Chant and just maybe Peter was watching over them.

Right at the start of the 'Before The Bounce' function at Footy Park last night there was an omen. The band was playing a jazz segment. I nudged the mate next to me and said: "'Take Five.' Dave Brubeck's 'Take Five.' Five in a row, that's the message." I could have added: "And we'll do it by five points."

Kochie's pre-match speech was a masterpiece. The room sat there, under his spell. The greatest speech I've ever heard was on Burns Night in the old Hongkong Hilton, late eighties, presented by an HSBC board member called Frank Frame. He'd taken a week's official leave, sat by a pool in Malaysia and rehearsed it until he had it down pat. If he'd got a word wrong, Frank would've been on the next plane back to Scotland in tartan disgrace. Kochie's speech last night comes a close second, a very close second. But then I'm hard to please. Ask my wife.

At half time I imposed myself on Kochie who had slipped into a quiet corner and, to show how bad things were, was pouring himself a beer from a jug. The band was playing Swingin' Shepherd Blues. I presented our Chairman with a tie, something we'd threatened to do earlier in the evening. It was the Charlie Company, 9th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (RAR) tie. It was Peter Chant's tie. Not his, but you know what I mean. On the tie there is an American Indian's head and three feathers, representing the three C Company mates we lost in Vietnam. Peter is the middle feather.

During Kochie's speech before the game a picture of Port Magpie's 1961 side came up on the big screens. Up there was Peter, sitting where a second rover / forward pocket traditionally sat, right in the front on the grass, the 'MATCH' footy between his crossed boots. Behind him were teammates including (front row): Rex Johns, Geoff Motley, Ian Hannaford, Jeff Potter; 2nd row: Bob Fabian, Trevor Bubbles Obst, Neville Chicken Hayes, Ken Tierney, Don Thompson; 3rd row: John Abley, Peter Obst, Kev Salmon, John Cahill; 4th row: Steve Traynor, Teddy Whelan; top row: Bob Philp. (Apologies if I've got any of these wrong.)

These were the mates Peter played with. Rudyard Kipling wrote a poem that my father used to quote all the time. Part reads: If you can walk with the crowd and keep your virtue, or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Peter Chant played footy with Kings in 1961-1962... and wouldn't know how to lose the common touch.

That 1961 team did not win the flag, but it did in 1962 and again in 1963 with Chicken Hayes kicking the winning goal right in front of me at the scoreboard end. In 1964 they lost, impossibly, to Neil Kerley's Panthers. Playing for South Adelaide that day was a half-back flanker called Bob Schmidt. Bob's brother Eric also, later, played for South in defence. Eric Schmidt was conscripted and served with Charlie Coy., 9RAR in Vietnam. He was wounded in the same action in which Peter Chant lost his life; Eric rode in the same medevac chopper as Peter's body to the hospital in Vung Tau, where he thankfully recovered and re-joined his unit. Eric Schmidt was just one of the C Coy. tribe-mates I have been able to reunite with over the past two weeks.

Back to Kochie and the tie...
Things changed after half time last night, as we know.
We know, too, just how magical, how biblical almost, was that second half by our new Kings of the footy field.
Maybe it was the tie in our Chairman's hand - Peter Chant's tie - that flicked the switch. Maybe it was Peter who did it.

After the game, after a beer perhaps that would've tasted a helluva lot better, Kochie was seen heading for his car clutching in his hand what looked like his pre-match speech folded around a tie in a cellophane wrapper, a tie covered with American Indian heads and feathers in sets of three.
In my head I can see Peter's smile... while a jazz tune keeps repeating: Just take five... Just take five...

Last edited:
Our new poster Lockhart Road has asked to commemorate former Port Adelaide player Peter Chant as part of our ANZAC Day build up.

Peter Chant played 10 league games for Port Adelaide during 1961-62 and was killed in action in the Vietnam War in 1969. Peter was an army mate of Lockhart's and a C-Company colleague.

I am pleased that this board is able to provide an outlet for our supporters to celebrate their club from far away and that they can bring these events to our attention. I for one had never heard of Peter Chant and now I feel privileged to be included in the commemoration of his life.

More information about Peter will be added to this post and thread as we lead up to ANZAC Day, both as a player and from former army mates.

Out of respect to Lockhart Road please allow him to post the first response to this thread.

Hi Ford
Peter was also a respected member of the Semaphore Surf Life Saving club and a terrific beach sprinter and flags competitor – he is always fondly remembered by members of the surf club.

Hi Ford
Peter was also a respected member of the Semaphore Surf Life Saving club and a terrific beach sprinter and flags competitor – he is always fondly remembered by members of the surf club.

Thanks Slammer. We just keep finding out more about Peter.

Hi Ford

My apologies, Slammer, for the delayed acknowledgement to your post and the tip-off re Peter Chant’s connection to Semaphore Surf Life Saving Club. I have only just got back to Hong Kong and my trusty desktop…
Warwick Archer – a past president (I think) of the Brighton Surf Life Saving Club – was another mate of Peter Chant and served with him both during our long training period and on operations in Vietnam. 'Arch' organised a reunion for about 20 of us at the Brighton SLSC on Friday night, after ANZAC Day.
Warwick has swooped seagull-like on your tip-off. He has been, or soon will be, in touch with Semaphore SLSC to organise a ‘Peter Chant Beach Race’ or equivalent between the two clubs during future ANZAC periods.
9RAR Association in SA has appointed Gene Costa as our liaison with PAFC and other institutions re this and other future ‘Peter Chant’ ANZAC events, to ensure that the momentum generated by the discovery of Peter’s story this year is not allowed to fade away. On the contrary, our aim is for it to blossom.
Gene was one of the 9RAR foursome who went to the Before The Bounce function on Saturday evening. We travelled via Alberton where, while we were picking up our tickets and carpark passes, Gene was signed on as a Complimentary Member of the PAFC – the first in its history.
“Now, mate, your work begins,” I told him. There is of course no such thing as a free lunch... nor, in actual fact, a PAFC ‘complimentary membership.’ We surreptitiously paid for Gene, then pushed him into action. That’s what mates do for mates, after all.
After the match, Gene would have walked through fire for PAFC. And, of course, for his mates… But he’s been doing that for years.

We're not done yet Lockhart Road.

link

195308-port-039-s-anzac-spirit.jpg

ONE of media manager Andrew Rutter's final assignments at the Port Adelaide Football Club was to bring to the traditional media's attention a thoughtful campaign in the blogosphere.

A Vietnam veteran - originally from Norwood High - was returning from three decades in Hong Kong to not only join the wave of fans rekindling their passion for the Power, but to remind Port Adelaide of a fallen soldier who had worn the club's colours.
Denis Way's campaign to honour former Magpies rover Peter Chant - who died on Valentine's Day, 1969, after an ambush in South Vietnam - proved the power of the new media and why AFL clubs now need sharper media departments to carry their message in a crowded sporting landscape.
link

It's a shame Rucci cannot type the words BigFooty on his computer. We link his site.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back