Preview AFL Round 7 - Geelong v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 10 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine only you would think

Yeah you would hope. About $900.00 worth i reckon.

Selwood gave him a mouthful and Newman as much said he snapped. It is oft the retaliator that gets the report - and in this case Selwood suplexed him as he was in a headlock. I guess, per the MRP, Selsy could gave asked the runner for a legal pad and pencil so as to formally ask Newman for his head to be released but * me what is he really supposed to do.

I actually hope that Newman goes as I want the message out there that if you cheap shot Selsy you will get cited. VICKERY - im looking at you!

GO Catters

to state the blindingly obvious we need to attack this game the way we played Sydney - on song from the start of the game, not some point after the opposition has opened up a lead.

Hawkins stepping up would berather handy .... :rolleyes:

Selwood gave him a mouthful and Newman as much said he snapped. It is oft the retaliator that gets the report - and in this case Selwood suplexed him as he was in a headlock. I guess, per the MRP, Selsy could gave asked the runner for a legal pad and pencil so as to formally ask Newman for his head to be released but **** me what is he really supposed to do.

I actually hope that Newman goes as I want the message out there that if you cheap shot Selsy you will get cited. VICKERY - im looking at you!

GO Catters

Please tell me Selwood has no carry over points

Please tell me Selwood has no carry over points
that im not sure of.....

Probably from " allegedly whacking the Rug" with no real evidence - suspension of 3 weeks....

Go Catters

At senior level, he has barely done anything of note. Check the stats if you don't believe me. Doesn't mean he doesn't have promise or talent or potential, which I absolutely believe he does have.

Where I get annoyed is when fans state that he's a better forward than Brown or a better ruckman than West right now, when he is neither. He very well may be in the future. A key forward combination of Hawkins and Vardy may become an extremely difficult combination to counter.

I don't think any fan has doubted his ability, but the club has to manage him for (hopefully) the next 10 years, not this Friday night. So at least another couple of VFL games would be the most intelligent option you would think.

I was just mucking around.
I agree with everything you say above, especially about managing him,it just seems bleeding obvious to me.

I was just mucking around.
I agree with everything you say above, especially about managing him,it just seems bleeding obvious to me.

Huge bonus his form on the weekend nonetheless. I would have been happy with 1-2 goals and just getting through unscathed - 6 goals is way above expectations.

I guess for any player, you can't beat playing every week, no matter what level. A mate Saturday night was shocked when I told him Horlin-Smith had only played 7 games. Difference is of course he's been playing most weeks at one level or another. It all helps.

Anyone know why we are about the only AFL club website to not have an Injury list?

Re: the conversation about Vardy
Clearly a full game in the AFL would be a big ask. Not impossible.
It his highly unlikely he will be selected but it can happen. Is Tom Hawkins carrying an injury? What if we lose another tall during the week?

The current health of all players remains a mystery to those on the outside. We are all just speculating.

I WANT OUR BIG MEN HEALTHY!! dammit

Pods and HT are the fittest we have.
Lonners had his best game this year on Sat.
Blitz is a trier.
West comes up against Ryder and Bellchambers
Hawk is out of sorts at the moment.

The sooner we get our 194cm + players back the better. Can anyone really blame us for being a tad impatient.

I know we line up small compared to most other top teams, but try convincing the majority on this board. Problem is we don't have the 194cm players as you say apart from Vardy, who needs more time and Brown,.........I don't even like to mention him as an option.

We've been waffling on about suitable sized replacements for Lonergan and Taylor for years now!
This is what might stuff us up for the flag, I hope not but it's a continual worry!

I know we line up small compared to most other top teams, but try convincing the majority on this board. Problem is we don't have the 194cm players as you say apart from Vardy, who needs more time and Brown,.........I don't even like to mention him as an option.

We've been waffling on about suitable sized replacements for Lonergan and Taylor for years now!
This is what might stuff us up for the flag, I hope not but it's a continual worry!

It is only against a small number of teams I find it concerning. Essendon just happens to be one of them,

Murdoch, Kersten and Thurlow are about the same height 190ish.
Have you seen the average height of the Freo midfielders?

Hamling, Walker, Vardy, Blitz and Brown are the 194 - 198 talls (Bathie - Will he get a game this year? )
Surely the fact that Blitz has played more senior games this year then all of these players combined is an indication of the severity of the issue. Even if we are sitting 6 - 0

It helps that our accuracy delivering the ball has been great so far. It has made up for the injured/developing talls. Just can't count in it forever.

I actually think MC will name Brown as an emergency again and possibly Thurlow or Vardy.

I hope all our players get through the week unscathed.

At senior level, he has barely done anything of note. Check the stats if you don't believe me. Doesn't mean he doesn't have promise or talent or potential, which I absolutely believe he does have.

Where I get annoyed is when fans state that he's a better forward than Brown or a better ruckman than West right now, when he is neither. He very well may be in the future. A key forward combination of Hawkins and Vardy may become an extremely difficult combination to counter.

I don't think any fan has doubted his ability, but the club has to manage him for (hopefully) the next 10 years, not this Friday night. So at least another couple of VFL games would be the most intelligent option you would think.
Don't worry about the stats with this bloke they mean nothing at this early stage,and he will be and that's the important thing a better forward than Brown and the ruck I hope is a moot point, I'm on board with your last paragraph though and I'll save you a spot on the wagon, front row seat between DTC and myself if that's OK?

As mentioned with West coast and NicNat.

Its a calculated risk.

He has played VFL at what 60% and 80% game time. He could manage to play 35-40 mins at AFL standard.

He is just as likely, if not more likely to injure himself in 100% game time at VFL as he is in 25% game time at AFL.

If he played this week, I would let him play a full game in VFL the week after and then 50% - 60% game time against Port.

If we were playing a smaller team I wouldn't be pushing as hard for his selection.

IMO, If we win this game we will finish top 4.

Selwood gave him a mouthful and Newman as much said he snapped. It is oft the retaliator that gets the report - and in this case Selwood suplexed him as he was in a headlock. I guess, per the MRP, Selsy could gave asked the runner for a legal pad and pencil so as to formally ask Newman for his head to be released but **** me what is he really supposed to do.

GO Catters
I agree with you! Have been saying for yonks the MRP + Tribunal need to consider the reason for retaliation and if one goes, both go!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the chill pills Romeoh prescribed were ineffective, I rang the AFL about Joel Selwood, who advised MRP are currently reviewing this round's indiscretions. Selwood has a 20% loading, and "'IF'" he is cited for wrestling it is a mandatory 'sanction' not suspension.

I agree with you! Have been saying for yonks the MRP + Tribunal need to consider the reason for retaliation and if one goes, both go!
I would hardly call what Selwood did was retaliation. More like defending yourself. The guy was in a head lock for crying out loud. u would do anything to squirm your way out of it. What more could he do ? You expect him to just stand stationery unable to breath yeah ?

67 point win last year, they're going better now than they were then, although so are we, should prob be a 40+ point win to us.

Quite confident with this game

As mentioned with West coast and NicNat.
The eagles had no option as there was no WAFL game for NicNat to play in for 2 weeks.
Also look at who their oppostion was!

Your sub needs to be a runner. Not a tall !

I would hardly call what Selwood did was retaliation. More like defending yourself. The guy was in a head lock for crying out loud. u would do anything to squirm your way out of it. What more could he do ? You expect him to just stand stationery unable to breath yeah ?
He immediately tried lifting Newman off the ground.
I loved it. But if that happened in the NRL he would be a gonner immediately.

I dont think we have that rule in place though.

to state the blindingly obvious we need to attack this game the way we played Sydney - on song from the start of the game, not some point after the opposition has opened up a lead.

Hawkins stepping up would berather handy .... :rolleyes:

When buying lunch today, I was chatting with a Swans fan at the café, about the Richmond -v- Geelong game, which he attended, when a few Swans training staff came in and joined our AFL talk. After identifying my Cats allegiance, one trainer implied this week's game would be a cake walk for us, which surprised me! Then ensued some jokes about the bombers and their 'juice', another surprise to me lol. They could well have been jollying me along, but another said he thinks the Cats are still regarded as a benchmark for other teams and that they owe us one for the Rd 4 game. I think we're pretty much even there, remember our 2011 game at the SCG. Swans play Dawks this round, so I asked them to give them an extra flogging because I despise them. They promised to oblige ;)

Thanks for pointing that out Juzzycat, I should clarify when I said retaliation, I meant in the general sense for all pings, rather than specifically referring to Selwood in the incident when he defended himself against Newman :)

If its off the ball headlock off between two players without any punches thrown in NFL no one would even be talking about it.

Players get ejected in the NFL for throwing punches.....

Go Catters

If its off the ball headlock off between two players without any punches thrown in NFL no one would even be talking about it.
I had a look. They did bring in a new rule regarding lifting.
But it is about how you dump the player. If you lift and put him on his back you're fine.
But it he lands near the shoulders / neck you are in trouble.

The eagles had no option as there was no WAFL game for NicNat to play in for 2 weeks.
Also look at who their oppostion was!

Your sub needs to be a runner. Not a tall !

I disagree.

The sub needs to be an impact player. Size can be determined secondary to the impact that player can have on the opposition. Against a more contested side (Sydney) play a more contested player. Against a taller side (Essendon) put a player like Vardy on a tiring Carlisle in the 4th. It might work, it might not.

Risk vs reward I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back