Moved Thread Malthouse almost imploded with rage during interview.

Remove this Banner Ad

You can tell by the way all the players speak to and with Richo at games that there is a soft spot for him and he obviously enjoys it as much as they do.

As an audience I think the rapport is one of the few things I like about Severns coverage.

It then places him in the unenviable position of what is he supposed to do when this sour puss gets served up to him/?

He handled himself well and you can see the lock jaw happening as soon as he gets the sarcastic remark back half way through the interview.

My Coach and MM have to understand that you take the good with the bad...

Didn't break any rules so cannot be a free.
Didn't interfere with play, was just doing his job running off the field 50m from the ball and player made a mistake. Still needs to be fixed though.

6.2 Identification
Each Team Official and Team Runner(s) shall wear a uniform or other
form of identification (such as an armband), as determined by the
Controlling Body.

15.10.1 W hen Awarded
A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or a Team where
the field Umpire is of the opinion that:
(a) the Player is engaging in Time Wasting;
(b) an Official of the Team or such other person of the Team
who may from time to time be permitted onto the Playing
Surface, intentionally, recklessly or negligently interferes
with the football, a Player of the opposition Team, an
Umpire or general play;

I love you went to the trouble of doing this even tho you know that if it happened to you team you wouldn't be happy about it.

Mick gave the umpires a nice old spray last night. We haven't seen a coach bag the umps like that for a long time. His press conference lasted for about three and a half minutes. At least two whole minutes was spent whinging about the umpires. He complained about the free kick count, moaned about Murphy not getting a free kick, belly-ached about a dozen holding the ball decisions that weren't paid to Carlton. Mick asked what had happened to the rules in his 12 months out of the game.

Malthouse's pissing and moaning has dominated the post-match discussion. Newspapers and radio has been non-stop coverage of the umpiring. Tallback radio this morning was hours of umpire bashing. This is the main reason why the AFL put a gag on coaches bagging the umpires, but Mick clearly thinks he is bigger than the game itself and above the rules. Hopefully the AFL puts the cranky old sook back in his place

James Hird described Scott McLaren as a "disgrace" and biased against Essendon. He was fined $20,000. Alastair Clarkson was once asked about an umpire and he replied "He's a good player that No.17 wasn't he? He's a ripper". He was fined $5000

I reckon $10,000 should cover it.

Those incidents do look way worse on a second viewing... Pretty clearly influenced the play and should have resulted in carlton frees

The docs etc have to keep out of the way.

The kicker got a quick turnover. Is an extra supposed to know where the kicker is thinking of going to ?

Mick gave the umpires a nice old spray last night. We haven't seen a coach bag the umps like that for a long time. His press conference lasted for about three and a half minutes. At least two whole minutes was spent whinging about the umpires. He complained about the free kick count, moaned about Murphy not getting a free kick, belly-ached about a dozen holding the ball decisions that weren't paid to Carlton. Mick asked what had happened to the rules in his 12 months out of the game.

Malthouse's pissing and moaning has dominated the post-match discussion. Newspapers and radio has been non-stop coverage of the umpiring. Tallback radio this morning was hours of umpire bashing. This is the main reason why the AFL put a gag on coaches bagging the umpires, but Mick clearly thinks he is bigger than the game itself and above the rules. Hopefully the AFL puts the cranky old sook back in his place

James Hird described Scott McLaren as a "disgrace" and biased against Essendon. He was fined $20,000. Alastair Clarkson was once asked about an umpire and he replied "He's a good player that No.17 wasn't he? He's a ripper". He was fined $5000

I reckon $10,000 should cover it.
Nothing wrong with calling out the umpires and the AFL for their ridiculous way of telling the umpires how to umpire each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't break any rules so cannot be a free.
Didn't interfere with play, was just doing his job running off the field 50m from the ball and player made a mistake. Still needs to be fixed though.

6.2 Identification
Each Team Official and Team Runner(s) shall wear a uniform or other
form of identification (such as an armband), as determined by the
Controlling Body.

15.10.1 W hen Awarded
A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or a Team where
the field Umpire is of the opinion that:
(a) the Player is engaging in Time Wasting;
(b) an Official of the Team or such other person of the Team
who may from time to time be permitted onto the Playing
Surface, intentionally, recklessly or negligently interferes
with the football, a Player of the opposition Team, an
Umpire or general play;

While I agree a free shouldn't have been paid (although this situation should never be allowed to occur again) these rules, like so many in the AFL, are ambiguous enough that you could claim they were broken. Most definitely his presence interfered with general play; the question would come down to whether him wearing those colours and in standing in that position was negligent or not. It's all just interpretation.

MM is a sore grumpy loser and should not have come back to coaching if he can't handle it!!!
Hawthorn did have a good run with the Umps, but it had no effect on the result..

For those that missed the other link.

After reading all this stuff I was expecting fireworks, but it's just a pretty normal interview.
As another poster mentioned it would have been fantastic if Richo asked if including Yarran would have been the difference.

Opinions will vary on that. I liked our game more back in the days before umpires decided they needed to have a media profile. I dont give a s**t who they are or what nicknames they prefer.

I wanted to rip off my ears when the commentators started having a chat with the umpires. I don't care about how they feel about the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back