Mega Thread The Mark Neeld Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Neil Craig, if he is interim coach (contrary to the Roos rumours that are flying around on SEN), and he wins 6 or 7 games to the end of the year... will they be forced to give him the job?

Craig won't take it.

Must say, I'm impressed with Peter Jackson so far. Seems serious about change. I hope for Melbourne supporters' sake that its not all talk.
Mark Neeld was serious about change. Melbourne will probably sack peter jackson as well in about 8 weeks when they still haven't won a game

This has Garry Lyon's blood written all over it. Watch Footy Classified tonight and you'll see a defensive and supportive Lyon saying that the board has made the correct decision. In reality, he's the puppet master who should stick his hand up to coach the club next year.

Why are there people who still think he would be anything as a coach.

Who will take over next year? Can't see any decent coaches who would be interested. Roos doesn't want to, Williams happy at Richmond, Thompson happy at Dons, and Clarko will no doubt still be at the Hawks. Surely they won't go for another rookie coach?
Eade seems the only chance.
Ratten?
Harvey?
Sheedy?

Yeah, Ratts is a good one, Harvey also. I just think to get a guy like Clarkson there would cost an absolute bomb. 7 figures easy over something like 5 years. He'd be unsackable then.

Melbourne should be allowed to spend some of their total player payments on a coach. The majority of the players should get paid per play, especially senior spuds like sylvia. Too bad theyre signed up for seasons.

Melbourne are such a disgrace of a football club. They get a huge freebie from the AFL and the first thing they do is sack one of the few reasonably competent operators at the club and pay out his contract. Honestly it should be the coach sacking the board in this situation because they have proven to be the biggest collection of dimwitted, downhill skiing, fairweathered, idiot children of the aristocracy in the history of AFL football. They used to say that the moronic children of the rich go into politics. This is no longer true, they now become Melbourne board members.

Mate, I agree in part... but we received a $500K fine for an official ruling of 'Melbourne did not tank'. There are at least 3-4 other clubs who 'tanked' as well and got no investigation or fine. We were a scapegoat.

Anyway, it's irrelevant to the thread... so it doesn't matter.

We could argue all day about those findings and the outcomes however at the end of the day I believe for the integrity of your club and the competition, you should take that action. Back on topic, I really feel for Neeld (and Bailey before him to some extent), may the clean-out of your club at all levels prevent anything like this from happening again. Gary Lyon the 'reluctant saviour' of MFC should put up or shut up once and for all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn this club is a joke.

He's 33 games into a coaching career. What the hell were the expecting from him?

A lot better than this, quite frankly. How can consistent thrashing mid way into a second year be justified? How can persistently worse performances be justfied? How can pissing off senior players and replacing them with discarded duds be justified (as a rebuilding side)? Guy was all talk, made mistakes. Don't hold it against him, he's human. But must be held to account.

People wouldn't want him coach of their clubs - don't even try and say this is not warranted - and not needed to be done immediately.

How important does the next appointment of senior coach become.
This is where Melbourne simply cannot make a mistake.
I'd be going after Mark Williams. Proven coach, who knows what it takes.
Nah they should go young again, that's where all the value is. They'll never be able to afford Roo's and tbh if Mark Neeld weren't the coach for the last couple of years and still an assistant he would be exactly the type they should go over.

Eade is probably the favourite at this stage though. Gary Ayres is another who is a bit of a smokey - not very fassionable but has a good record as a senior AFL coach and has been excellent in the VFL in recent years. Mathew Kights is another who is highly regarded but he is a bit tarnished because of Essendon

Just another pathetic and gutless decision by a football club looking for a cheap, easy, short term solution without actually addressing the fundamental issues the club is facing.

Be foolish to suggest otherwise.

Please explain the fundamental issues the club is facing. I keep hearing this sentiment, but if a complete restructure of the football club isn't addressing the fundamental issues I don't know what is.

Just another pathetic and gutless decision by a football club looking for a cheap, easy, short term solution without actually addressing the fundamental issues the club is facing.

Be foolish to suggest otherwise.
Did you even listen to what Jackson said?

How can it get any worse for Melbourne SUpporters...
IbWgtSx.png

Essendon could learn a thing or two here. When are they sacking Hird? :rolleyes:

What possible relevance does that have to the topic at hand?

The big problem Melbourne has got is two-fold.

The cattle on the park is arguably as bad as Bendigo in the VFL (all due respect to Bendigo by the way...) and the recruiting staff not actually getting the right talent to be a success.

Having a revolving door coaching set-up has never actually delivered any club who has gone down this road any success whatsoever.

Just ask Richmond.

How many coaches have Richmond had since winning the 1980 premiership. I think it is at least 10 and could be even higher than that.

Look at St. Kilda. Change coaches quite regularly and the ones who give them some level of success get shafted sideways!

A lot better than this, quite frankly. How can consistent thrashing mid way into a second year be justified? How can persistently worse performances be justfied? How can pissing off senior players and replacing them with discarded duds be justified (as a rebuilding side)? Guy was all talk, made mistakes. Don't hold it against him, he's human. But must be held to account.

People wouldn't want him coach of their clubs - don't even try and say this is not warranted - and not needed to be done immediately.
Put simply your senior players were awful and he had every right to get rid of them. There was sense to getting Dawes and Burns since both of them came from clubs who has very strong cultures and recent success, something Melbourne was seriously lacking. Dawes will not only be worth every bit of the top 20 pick you gave up for him but might also end up being your captain.

I am going to lol when Melbourne fork out 500k to the some high profile coach and they get the same or worse returns as Neeld did.

This has Garry Lyon's blood written all over it. Watch Footy Classified tonight and you'll see a defensive and supportive Lyon saying that the board has made the correct decision. In reality, he's the puppet master who should stick his hand up to coach the club next year.
* Garry Lyon.

He's not welcome in our decisions anymore

The circus stops here? One last absurd act to end the absurdity - very Camus, very Sisyphus, very wrong. Here comes another 10 years of failure.

Why do you think this will make more failure........................ I would've thought this was a step in the right direction.......?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back