Mega Thread The Mark Neeld Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Really feel for Neeld here, except for the fact he gets 600k to leave the worst club on and off the field in the league.

No doubting that its a rash decision, given only one and a half years to turn around a club such as Melbourne. It was never going to happen overnight.

Roos would be great for the new job but why would he want to ruin his rep and come out of retirement? Give John Worsfold the job, given the rumours he'll be out of the Eagles at the end of the year.

Hope Neeld gets another shot in the future but I doubt it. Would love him back as an assistant at the Pies.

Grant Thomas late 2011- They'll get a untried coach, give him a few years, realise he's no god and then sack him. They should appoint someone like Dennis Pagan.

Spooky. Rodney Eade to take over for mine.

I don't see it. I reckon Eade is enjoying life to much doing a bit of media... a bit of coaching... a bit of development and is probably on alot more cash than before.

My vote is Chocko.

This is the quote that the footy media have pretty much missed.

So Bailey coached to orders to tank and was fired. Neeld coached to orders to play the kids and was fired.

Anyone else see the problem here?

Maybe that why the CEO & president have been sacked as well genius

IMO it's between Collingwood and Carlton to see where he moves on to as an assistant coach.

Agree.
I would have thought Carlton would have their noses in front, purely for the Malthouse factor, and we do have some assistant coaches spots to fill.

Let's not write hagiographies for Neeld. He inherited a side who had won eight games and a draw in each of its past two seasons. In his next season and a half, he won five games. Only one of them against one of the established AFL clubs.

He had more to work with than Bailey did and did worse than Bailey. He was an appalling coach, one of the worst I have ever seen. And as a Freo fan, I have seen a few.

Why would Ratten take it when there is a small chance he could be Hawthorn coach in 2-3 years? Plus maybe a premiership as midfield coach.

What a disgrace. It's not Neeld's fault that the players take the piss out of the game.

Melbourne are bound to spend the next decade in the cellar.

Wrong.

As I've said before, the Bailey sacking was maybe a mistake.

The Neeld sacking is the most obvious sack in my lifetime.

Really feel for Neeld here
I thought he sounded the happiest he has been in ages at the press conference this morning. I dare say he is glad to be free to move on. Would be surprised if he hasn't got an assistant gig over the off-season, or follow the Matthew Knights path and take over a club's VFL side.

Agree.
I would have thought Carlton would have their noses in front, purely for the Malthouse factor, and we do have some assistant coaches spots to fill.
Mick will be having discussions with the Blues hierarchy right as we speak. If they haven't already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He walked into an impossible situation, but always looked out of his depth. Lots of good assistants out there, while Rodney Eade is proven and looks like he still has the hunger.

Really feel for Neeld here, except for the fact he gets 600k to leave the worst club on and off the field in the league.

No doubting that its a rash decision, given only one and a half years to turn around a club such as Melbourne. It was never going to happen overnight.

Roos would be great for the new job but why would he want to ruin his rep and come out of retirement? Give John Worsfold the job, given the rumours he'll be out of the Eagles at the end of the year.

Hope Neeld gets another shot in the future but I doubt it. Would love him back as an assistant at the Pies.

Nobody would have expected Neeld to turn around Melbourne in 18 months.

The issue is that 18 months in, he hasn't even started the recovery. If anything they're worse now than when he took over.

No denying its far from a normal coaching gig, but it's been an absolutely disastrous appointment. Its difficult to know how they could have got it so far wrong.

They're an incredibly, incredibly bad football team... And that's his responsibility. He may not have been able to extract good results yet, but he's actually made them worse.

neeld was doomed when they threw so much $$$$ at clark and dawes and getting average players in rodan and byrnes... prob could have had jessie white, a cranbury type and both the tucks for less coin and better output..

Problem is, they are required to pay 95% of the salary cap. So they couldn't pay less coin. Although they probably could have taken those players you suggested and paid them more than they are worth.

Feel sorry for Neeld and hope that Craig can do better otherwise what's to say we won't be in the same position 12-18 months down the track, seems to be big culture issues at the dees.

No Melbourne fan I've met has laid complete blame (many even blame at all) on Neeld for the cr*p that has transpired over the past couple of years. He had/has a stunning attitude towards the game (and life in general), and was possibly, in some regard, the right guy, for the wrong club, at the wrong time. He also got very unlucky with key injuries, off field horrors etc etc. But Melbourne need some form of experience at the helm. They always did in retrospect. But more importantly, they also need to address many areas of the footy club, not just the senior coach. We're all aware of this. Peter Jackson is too. The playing group should be performing better than they are though.

The one positive is that (again) Melbourne are out of the blocks early, and with no competition in regards to finding a new coach. Come seasons end I'll be surprised if a few other clubs aren't looking for one as well. Also, we finally have a seemingly competent CEO leading the search. The club just has to work hard, make as informative and intelligent decisions as they can, and hope (as the Demon fans do) that things can improve soon. I don't see how it could get much worse, but I've been proven wrong on that front before.

IMO it's between Collingwood and Carlton to see where he moves on to as an assistant coach.

You gotta be joking if you think Bucks will hire Malthouse's little suckhole right hand man don't you.:rolleyes:

The only place Neeld will end up is Carlton under Mick.

The other 17 clubs will go nowhere near Neeld and rightly so, the worse coach I have ever seen and didn't improve not one single area of the Melbourne Footy Club.

And don't forget to take your naughty desk with you on your way out Neeld :D

You gotta be joking if you think Bucks will hire Malthouse's little suckhole right hand man don't you.:rolleyes:

The only place Neeld will end up is Carlton under Mick.

The other 17 clubs will go nowhere near Neeld and rightly so, the worse coach I have ever seen and didn't improve not one single area of the Melbourne Footy Club.

And don't forget to take your naughty desk with you on your way out Neeld :D

Buckley and Neeld are good mates, I remember a presser they did before QB last year and they looked like two high school kids, just cracking jokes and enjoying themselves.

Mick will be having discussions with the Blues hierarchy right as we speak. If they haven't already.

We'd be very negligent if we weren't. Players have got a few days off with the bye coming up, so i'm sure there are meetings going on as we speak. Think it would be a win win for both parties - Neeld and Mick are reunited, and Carlton get a highly regarding assistant coach.

I called this last week, was saying to a mate that I thought his job was in danger.

No way, I didnt see this coming, I was just saying to a mate last week, that Jack Watts is a good show for the 2014 Brownlow/Coleman double when Melbourne scrape into the top 4 on the back Neelds drastic move to play him as a roving ruck quarter centre half-forwad back full forward in the left pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back