Music Documentaries...

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
COLLINGWOOD
For any old skool hip-hop fans. There is a hard to find Dutch doco from 1986 called 'Big fun in a big town'. Although it is a very basic doco some of the footage is amazing and rare. Interviews with many of the legends of Rap before they had made it big. To give you the picture, LL Kool J is a kid still living with his grandparents, Doug E Fresh just hangin out beatboxing on the corner block in the Bronx.

I'd also agree with Anvil & Dig as being great, whatever your taste in music.

Good Lord, I've read through the whole thread and not one mention so far of Standing In The Shadows Of Motown.

Also, check out Soundtrack To War (US soldiers in Iraq), made by the ABC I think in about 2004. Not strictly about music per se, but it uses music as the theme behind the stories of white soldiers (country & death metal) and black soldiers (rap, R&B, and hip hop).

Along with the Classic Albums series on SBS there's also some other great TV series:

Lost Highway (history of country music)
Walk On By (history of popular song)
Respect Yourself (history of Stax Records)

Also, I can't be more specific I'm afraid, but I saw a great doco on ABC about the rise of Bossa Nova in Brazil in the 1950's and 60's, and another four-part series on Latin music in the US (Tex-Mex, Puerto Rican, Cuban etc).

The Beatles Anthology - Nothing really comes close.

But for something quirky and a little bit more modern. The White Stripes, Under Great Northern Lights

I was sorry I missed that on tv then saw it in JB with a cd for $10 and bought it. Nice :)

Had a dvd on the making of Dark Side of the Moon which was good too - you can get that for $10 as well

lenny_07

Senior List
Aug 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sam Dunn's Headbangers Journey. :thumbsu: I have owned this for years and still think it stands the test of time.
About: A Canadian named Sam Dunn goes on a journey to document the origins, culture and appeal to 'heavy metal'. It includes interviews with various artists, musicians, groupies, music producers, critics & disc jockey's. Exploring further themes such as violence, death, sexuality, religion and satanism.

You don't have to be a Hard Rock/ heavy metal fan to enjoy this. FIVE STARS. :thumbsu:

His Metal Evolution series is really good too, I'm not the biggest metal fan, but this series was fantastic. Explores the influence of classical and jazz and blues on metal or hard rock musicians and explores all the different sub-genres generally encompassed by the term metal.

I also agree with the Townes Van Zandt doco someone mentioned earlier and quite enjoyed Fallen Angel about Gram Parsons.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
To add a few more to the list.

It's Slade - Slade

Good doco on a much underrated band.

Blues Britania - A BBC doco on how Southern American Blues artists music influenced the British 60's Blues Explosion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kc752

When Albums Ruled the World - A BBC doco on the the rise and fall of long play Vinyl.

TheUndertones - Here Comes The Summer (James Nesbitt narrator)

The Adverts - We Who Wait

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
And a few more...

Krautrock - The rebirth of German music

David Bowie - The Story of Ziggy Stardust

Synth Britania - BBC doco on the rise of synth music post-punk in the UK

Blondie - One Way Or Another

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The Devil And Daniel Johnston - This is the sad story of one of the most unique songwriters around. Even if you can't appreciate his music, this documentary will still move you. Also, if you can't appreciate his music, your either a robot or you have lost all innocence of your youth.

Amazing doco.

The way he accidentally ****ed over his manager whilst several major labels were trying to sign him was pretty heartbreaking.

I downloaded a heap of his stuff after that.

Yip Jump Music is rad :thumbsu:

rugmop

Senior List
Sep 11, 2001
Glen Waverley Vic.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
brisbane
There exists a splendid doco called The Late Great Paul (Kossoff). It is the tragic story of the guitarist for the band from the early 70s, Free. It is narrated by Kossoff's father, in a very moving and brutally honest assessment of his son's descent in to drug addiction and his resulting death, at the age of 25. It is available on Youtube.

Conan Troutman

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't think this one's been mentioned yet - Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey (1994)

Haven't seen it for many years, but I remember it being very good, with a fascinating story. It's about the Theremin obviously, but also about the life of the inventor.

Trailer:

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace

Anzac16

Premiership Player
Jun 21, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Central Districts

As a huge A7X fan I really enjoyed this documentary. IMO their best album to date and this highlights how awesome these guys actually are.

Leaping Lindner

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
it was ok i guess, i just didn't see the need for them to wheel out the likes of scorcese, bono, cusack, matt dillon, johnny shlepp etc. that was not strummer.

westway to the world directed by the great don letts is brilliant. also rude boy is great as it as made while they were still going and contains great live clips.

I only saw The future is unwritten once (at the cinema) and I must admit I found myself wanting it too finish....and I'm a HUGE Clash and Strummer fan. You're spot on with Westway to the World. Much better.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
"We were living on dogfood" - is on abc iview atm. It's about the emergence of the punk scene in melbourne in the mid nineties. Essentially it's made up of interview sound bites to people like Alanah hill talking about their experiences. Only goest for 30 mins but def worth a look if you're into fringe music from the 70s (krautrock also gets a mention) OR you are interested in melbourne history.

Feb 22, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City
You guys might be able to help me locate another doco I saw a couple of years ago on ABC2 at like midnight, it was an old punkish band from Australia that were ******* mental, like I mean vomiting on people and fighting with the crowd mental, it followed them on a European tour or something. I'm sketchy on the details, may not even have been a punk band... I did see a thread on BF about it around the time but I can't for the life of me remember the bands name now.

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
You guys might be able to help me locate another doco I saw a couple of years ago on ABC2 at like midnight, it was an old punkish band from Australia that were ******* mental, like I mean vomiting on people and fighting with the crowd mental, it followed them on a European tour or something. I'm sketchy on the details, may not even have been a punk band... I did see a thread on BF about it around the time but I can't for the life of me remember the bands name now.

No idea... maybe The Fester Fanatics?

Back