Indigenous AFL Team to play Ireland in Ireland, but Ireland prefer the best players from the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategy

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jan 26, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
The AFL are apparently going to play a competition of an all Indigenous AFL team against the Irish Gaelic Team.
I thought initially it was a good idea BUT why just Indigenous players ? Are we not supposed to be all as one in footy and elsewhere ?
I hope the AFL will reconsider this proposal !
The AFL may speak about this tomorrow.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ga...nal-rules-series/story-fnelctok-1226677342797

Hopefully they rotate it amongst the different categories of player...

2013 Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islanders v Ireland
2014 Players of European Heritage v Ireland
2015 Redheads v Ireland
2016 Lefthanders v Ireland
2017 Tattooed Players v Ireland
2018 Players without an E in their Surname v Ireland

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody 'important' bats an eye at this (in terms of it being racist), but if it was an all white team...

exactly, i have made my point clear in the thread about an all-aboriginal VFL side, this is just the pot calling the kettle black (mind the massive pun), we will never move on from racism while we continue to separate and identify differences amongst each other

Sorry, but the cross-section of people identifying as 'Aboriginal Australians' have some unflattering numbers. Basically because of white settlement, but hey. I don't see any issue in trying to help out a demographic who suffer from higher levels of alcoholism, shorter lifespans, and worse health. They are the facts and the epidemic of Aboriginal health is a serious one.

The Clontarf program in WA has been seriously beneficial to plenty of young blokes. Is that racist because you're identifying a minority group who have unflattering statistics stapled to them? Barely.

The people saying "sorry, you can't play your white" is just a ludicrous fallacy. That's like saying "oh sorry you can't represent Victoria – you've never left Tasmania." That's just a really weird, flawed argument.

There is nothing wrong with this. Racism is not purely identifying difference. Acknowledging cultures is probably the antithesis of racism – you can realise that Aboriginals have different customs and cultures is no problem at all, as long as you're not saying those cultures and customs are bad because they're Aboriginal.

Farrrrrrout.

Sorry, but the cross-section of people identifying as 'Aboriginal Australians' have some unflattering numbers. Basically because of white settlement, but hey. I don't see any issue in trying to help out a demographic who suffer from higher levels of alcoholism, shorter lifespans, and worse health. They are the facts and the epidemic of Aboriginal health is a serious one.

How does having a team of predominantly urbanised, high-earning players of varying degrees of Indigenous descent travelling to Ireland 'help out' people in that demographic?

People raised via DHS would have similarly appalling statistics to those in the most run-down communities - how many of them are even in the AFL? A far lower proportion than those of Indigenous background, I'd suggest, but nobody gives a stuff about them.

People complaining that this series is boring...now complaining that they want the same boring squad going across to Ireland. Do you want a forward line of Buddy, Cyril, Lewis Jetta and Eddie Betts OR Douglas, Nahas and Milne? Shut up and get excited about the concept.

You can still have the forward line of them even if it isn't an all indigenous team. The best team they can get should be picked, it's more than just if it was a pre season game or something. It is for their country and a lot of players would be extremely honored to get the chance to play for their country but unfortunately are going to be robbed of that opportunity simply because they are not indigenous.

You can still have the forward line of them even if it isn't an all indigenous team. The best team they can get should be picked, it's more than just if it was a pre season game or something. It is for their country and a lot of players would be extremely honored to get the chance to play for their country but unfortunately are going to be robbed of that opportunity simply because they are not indigenous.

The players we 'want' to watch never want a part in it. The squad in 2011 was disgusting and the players looked disinterested. Also the fact that fans are losing interest in it - I think this idea will create a bit of interest again. At least a squad of indigenous players will WANT to play for our country and play with pride.

From a purely footballing perspective, maybe this was the best way to send out a strong team? Less and less good quality players want to participate in the International Rules, however for Indigenous players, having the incentive to play alongside each other may be an added incentive to play rather than not play in the international rules, and considering last time we played we lost by a record margin (we had a second string team whilst Ireland had their best players), this was a way to send a strong team? Also, the flair with which they play would also help with TV viewing, one would think.

I know that Dean Rioli wasn't a fan of an all-indigenous u/18's team in the TAC Cup, so you would assume that he wouldn't be a massive fan of the concept. I could be wrong though.

Here it is . It must be scrapped ASAP .
It must not go ahead .

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-03/indigenous-stars-for-tests

Could it be called a Racist tour ?
Apartheid was BANNED in South Africa so now we are starting that rubbish here.
The AFL should be ashamed of themselves and anyone that goes on tour should be ashamed of themselves and anyone that also supports the tour .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back