Travel Most dangerous/scariest roads you've driven in Australia?

Admittedly I'm still on my Green P's and the furtherest I have driven to is Ballina, but the two scariest roads I have driven is the Pacific Highway from the Byron Bay exit to Ballina and the Beaudesert to Nerang/Beenleigh Road from around Mt Tambourine to Beaudesert. I find both of these roads to be scary and dangerous because it is a two lane road (one lane each way), undivided, lots of sharp turns and up/down hills, few safety rails, lots of trucks/heavy vehicles and a speed limit of 100km/h. West Mt Cotton Road in the Redlands is also worth a mention but thankfully has very little traffic and doesn't have a 100km/h speed limit.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Bonang Highway - Starts at Orbost in the East Gippsland, goes straight up the mountain

It's so bad that I get nauseous whether I am driving or passenger -

You also have to watch out for logging trucks driving way too fast with giant loads of old growth forest..

beautiful country out there though

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I can guarantee that 90% of the roads quoted in this thread are perfectly safe but feel dangerous due to the ******* drivers on the road.

Bonang Highway - I agree to some extent due to the log truck drivers on there but also not much protection if you go off the edge

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
A dirt back road between Canberra and the NSW south coast, through the Brindabella Range. Narrow and windy, dirt all the way, but with the most spectacular views of the creek (a sheer drop in most places) the road follows most of the way.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
A dirt back road between Canberra and the NSW south coast, through the Brindabella Range. Narrow and windy, dirt all the way, but with the most spectacular views of the creek (a sheer drop in most places) the road follows most of the way.

If its South Coast you'd be thinking of the road through Araluen? Brindabella Range is west of Canberra

PunyHumans!!!

All Australian
Sep 24, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Caves Road down round Margaret River, heading south, is pretty s**t...way too narrow considering the trees that hug the shoulders which in places are pretty worn. Can be hair raising when cars come out of nowhere around bends and are hanging too close to the white line.

Bonang Highway - Starts at Orbost in the East Gippsland, goes straight up the mountain

It's so bad that I get nauseous whether I am driving or passenger -

You also have to watch out for logging trucks driving way too fast with giant loads of old growth forest..

beautiful country out there though

What's the speed limit of that road just out of curiosity?

I can guarantee that 90% of the roads quoted in this thread are perfectly safe but feel dangerous due to the silly person drivers on the road.

I was driving at 80km/h on the Pacific Highway (from the Byron exit to Ballina) due to being extremely cautious and still found it scary. If I drove at the speed limit of 100km/h I was afraid I was going to die (admittedly I was driving on that road a few months after I got my licence and I am very unfamiliar with that road - this was back in 2011).

After driving that bit of the Pacific Highway, it honestly doesn't surprise me that so many people get killed on the Pacific Highway every year.

Pacific Highway in northern NSW is terrible. They keep talking about completing duplication but nobody's interested in wearing the cost.

To be fair, the Pacific Highway is very good between the Qld/NSW border to the Byron Bay exit, after that exit is when it gets really terrible. Haven't drove past Ballina yet though. I'd like to do a long road trip to Sydney or Melbourne one day but I want to wait until more Pacific Highway upgrades are complete.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To be fair, the Pacific Highway is very good between the Qld/NSW border to the Byron Bay exit, after that exit is when it gets really terrible. Haven't drove past Ballina yet though. I'd like to do a long road trip to Sydney or Melbourne one day but I want to wait until more Pacific Highway upgrades are complete.

Most people who do Brisbane to Melbourne go inland.

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing
There's people bikes cars trucks buses trams uni students drunks.........going all ways in a confined area. This time of year at afternoon peak hour on a friday is crazy....

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
The road in Wittenoom is supposed to be pretty dangerous.... for your health
The best bit of it when I went there was the way it suddenly ended at a locked gate, and there was no way to turn around without reversing into a pile of tailings and stirring all the dust up.

Beary17

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
highway in Adelaide, between Gawler to nuriootpa when the sun rises, or heading to Gawler when the sun sets, major highway which runs directly east west and you cop the sun directly in the eyes

Back