How are we going to kick a winning score?

CQSUN

Team Captain
Aug 2, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't think it's much of a problem when our first choice key forwards aren't on the sidelines. ;)

A Forward Line of;
Day Dixon Brown
Matera Lynch Bennell

or something similar could kick a winning score against most teams. Keeping them on the park, another story. :thumbsdown:

Our forward line this week is as follows:

Harbrow May Hall
Brown Gorringe Sumner

I'm really hoping that we use the midfield to score a bit more because otherwise we are in a fair bit of trouble with Merrett, McGuire, Golby, Adcock and Patfull in the backline

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Our forward line this week is as follows:

Harbrow May Hall
Brown Gorringe Sumner

I'm really hoping that we use the midfield to score a bit more because otherwise we are in a fair bit of trouble with Merrett, McGuire, Golby, Adcock and Patfull in the backline

Its not the prettiest forward line I have seen

I would seriously think about swapping May and Day around, I would also use Gorringe as the dummy lead up the ground to drag away Merret and park Sumner in the goal square.

Its not the prettiest forward line I have seen

I would seriously think about swapping May and Day around, I would also use Gorringe as the dummy lead up the ground to drag away Merret and park Sumner in the goal square.

All we can hope for is for Ablett, Omeara, Prestia and Swallow to dominate the centre and just punch it in so many times that just by sheer weight of numbers we kick a winning score.

Just home and this thread I started 3 years ago sprang to mind again

If we had have played Brisbane or west coast it would have done the job.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Just home and this thread I started 3 years ago sprang to mind again
I saw the date on the OP and it occurred to me that our forwards progress isn't keeping pace with our midfield progress.

However, I have heard it said that talls take longer to develop physically than smalls. So it may just be that it will take a bit longer for the bigger fellas..?

I wonder if playing GA in the forwards may help the bigger guys for a while, now that our mids are sorted?

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
haha. That's fair enough too. There should be balance in criticism.

The Hawks are probably a better test of where we need to be.

But one thing I will say; the Hawks are so hot ATM, and remember they are the premiers, that game in particular will be one of the hardest tests we will have faced for the last and future couple of seasons. Teams just don't get much better than the Hawks are ATM. We stacked up ok. Im happy. Fast forward us 1 season and there would be nothing in that game.

So it was great to play a premiership team at its best. It highlighted where we need to do some work. It showed our strength, weakness, and im sure gave the players some perspective on where they are at both personally and as a team.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How come you didn't bump it last week when our tall forwards demolished the opposition? ;)

I hardly think Brisbane is the yardstick by which we want to measure our forwards progress
And they didn't "smash" the opposition...smashing the opposition is kicking 7 or 8 goals or more
Were you there for the second quarter last week?
I think Sam Day will make it, probably Tom Lynch too...but I'm really not sure in what role
As someone posted, we have terrific Defence and Midfield development but our forwards are nowhere near that level.
We really have no choice but to push on though
I know I've said it before , but we are missing Campbell Brown this year
And if there was any doubt about where our forward line is at the moment, Warnock was started at full forward !

Last edited:

shaqsuns

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
I hardly think Brisbane is the yardstick by which we want to measure our forwards progress
And they didn't "smash" the opposition...smashing the opposition is kicking 7 or 8 goals or more
Were you there for the second quarter last week?
I think Sam Day will make it, probably Tom Lynch too...but I'm really not sure in what role
As someone posted, we have terrific Defence and Midfield development but our forwards are nowhere near that level.
We really have no choice but to push on though
I know I've said it before , but we are missing Campbell Brown this year
And if there was any doubt about where our forward line is at the moment, Warnock was started at full forward !
in fairness that's exactly what they use to say about geelong before 2007

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
2013 leading goal kickers:

Ablett 28 - 6 goals in 4 games this season.
Hall 24 - can't get near it this season.
Brown 23 - gone.
Bennell 19 - injured, zero games this season.
Dixon 19 - injured, 2 games, zero goals this season.

We need other players to stand up and help Gaz out with so many of our regular goal kickers out of action.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Averaging 10 goals a game again this year. Do we have anyone that is capable of kicking 50 goals a year on the list? Or does the game plan going forward have to suffice with 3-4 kicking 25-30 each? The fact that Swallow and Ablett are in our top 3-4 goalkickers this year is a concern.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jack Anthony hey?

Would've been cheap and who knows what he could have done here if he had a chance
I had similar thinkings about Mitch Morton
Guys who've been around and have a bit of court craft
Campbell Brown really filled that role last year, but we don't have anyone this season
It's difficult to watch our players elect to kick to the forward pocket every time we go inside 50

Dammit

Challenge Accepted
Mar 20, 2010
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You reckon we need that medium sized forward? I just wish Boston was fit.
Crameri has been absolutely awesome for the Dogs. Love the way he has license to roam up onto the back flank and get involved. Not too many players of his calibre in that role though.

Back