FTA-TV Ray Donovan

Meh. Show seems alright for it's "wow" factor, but the pilot seemed to be too centred around it.

The show doesn't seem to produce any likable characters which is a big deal for me.

But that scene with the pool table was boss.

Anyone care to explain the situation between Steve, the fricken weird Disney girl and the stalker guy? Really confused. I thought Steve was the stalker and not sure how that other guy came into the equation.

flight23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Da Bulls
Who's watched the pilot? I'm already hooked, bloody brilliant show. Showtime does it again.:thumbsu:

Could potentially be the best drama to come out this year.

enjoyed the pilot, but hardly think it's close to the best drama, in fact i wouldn't even call it a drama,not to say it wasn't a heap of fun though

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
enjoyed the pilot, but hardly think it's close to the best drama, in fact i wouldn't even call it a drama,not to say it wasn't a heap of fun though
There must be some other damn good dramas out this year if this doesn't do it. What would you call it then if it's not a drama?

And surely people can grow to like Ray Donovan (the character I mean)? Has his flaws, but you can sympathize about his father situation.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Meh. Show seems alright for it's "wow" factor, but the pilot seemed to be too centred around it.

The show doesn't seem to produce any likable characters which is a big deal for me.

But that scene with the pool table was boss.

Anyone care to explain the situation between Steve, the fricken weird Disney girl and the stalker guy? Really confused. I thought Steve was the stalker and not sure how that other guy came into the equation.
I must say, I haven't got my head around that either. Anyone?

flight23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Da Bulls
There must be some other damn good dramas out this year if this doesn't do it. What would you call it then if it's not a drama?

And surely people can grow to like Ray Donovan (the character I mean)? Has his flaws, but you can sympathize about his father situation.

lol first of all i liked the show and the 2 main leads are going to carry this show even if we started writing for them

i've got my hard drive in categories (recently gone bezerk cleaning it up)

my TV section is broken up into comedy, drama, action, sci-fi, UK and foreign

the drama section is broken up into HEAVY and LIGHT

Heavy dramas - Mad Men, Breaking Bad, the killing, Homeland, G.O.T, Damages etc

Light dramas - Scandal, White Collar, Graceland, Suits etc

in comparison with the other heavies, Ray Donovan isn't on the same level, it probably sits more comfortably with the lights

and thats without naming a buttload of the foreign and UK stuff thats out there

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings

I must say, I haven't got my head around that either. Anyone?

Steve?? do you mean Stu (The Disney Exec who is cheating on his wife), Ashley (The Disney Singer/Mistress) and The Stalker (Green dude) ??

From what I can gather from the Pilot Ray helped Ashley early in her career and then fought alongside her to get her money back from her parents. Now she's getting it on with Stu who is an overly jealous adulterer and he hires Ray to spy on Ashley and discovers she has a stalker. He stops stalker...

I didn't think it was that hard to understand?

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
How did he find out about the stalker?

Rewatch the episode. When he first goes to investigate the girl he is standing on the beach looking through binoculars.

A dog starts barking towards something and thata where you see the Stalker stroking himself while she does Yoga. But the dog scares him off and when he goes to his car Rays mate is there to get the plates.

Some of you need to chill just because I missed a scene lol

Anyways, went back and watched it and yeah, missed that scene, must have been occupied with something else.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Some of you need to chill just because I missed a scene lol

Anyways, went back and watched it and yeah, missed that scene, must have been occupied with something else.

tv0l.jpg

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Second episode didn't do much for me. Might put it on hold for a while and come back later watch a few in succession. This sort of theme (the Irish brothers gangster angle) has been done before mind you. The excellent one season of the Black Donnellys and one of my favorite shows Brotherhood are good examples.

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
Too melodramatic. Ray's at times believably stoic character seems completely at odds with the ridiculous conflagration of situations he has been written into.

The only other character with a deal of complexity that I want to know more about is the boxing trainer brother. There is an element of mystery about him. But it really is frustrating when a new show seems to be targeted at idiots, where agendas, motivations and traits are just laid out instantly. It is obvious and boring. Here are the characters, here are the conflicts, now enjoy the mess.

Unfortunate also that the best scenes involve Ray falling asleep and waking up.

Perhaps the shows creators couldn't decide on a direction and that's the problem. All of the above are fine if it is a show like Alias or Burn Notice. Action packed, formulaic shows, that are all about quick fix entertainment and don't pretend to be anything else or don't take themselves too seriously. However, for a show that seems to aspire to an engaging and complex character driven plot, it does seem to be reaching a little. Kind of like the anti-Luck, which was a little too slow burn.

Probably being overly critical though and it certainly isn't bad television. Think I will give it more time.

Back