Changes for 2nd Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely no way Cowan deserves another go, he has had so many chances to prove himself and he has clearly shown he is not up to it. I'm embarrassed with his two dismissals in the that test. Flashing at a wide one outside off, and getting caught at at slip off a second-rate off-spin bowler is not good enough. He always looks nervous at the crease.

The problem is, our batting depth is so poor that there's only one real option who can come in for him, that being Khawaja. May as well bring him in and stick with him. At least age is on his side.

Starc should be replace by Bird or Harris. He just bowls too many loose balls and needs to work on his consistency.

Out- Cowan
Just doesn't make runs. Would prefer to see Warner back in, but can't see that happening for this test.

Out- Starc
Bowling stocks are our biggest strength. No reason a guy that relies on "x factor" should be in the team. Harris or bird in. Probably lean torwards Bird, just as he doesnt have the injury history of Harris.

Isn't Warner is off to South Africa. Can't see him coming in if that is the case.

Starc is in the side because he is a left armer and can swing the ball. The fact that most of his left arm deliveries land well short of a length doesn't seem to come into the equation for some reason.

We need to open with two guys that know how to use the new ball well. Pitch it up, look for conventional swing, hit the seam. With what we have available on tour I would probably open with Harris/Bird (Tasmanian quicks perform in English conditions. If Hilfenhaus is fit he should be in the touring party even if he's carrying drinks) and Siddle then attack with Pattinson once the ball starts to reverse a bit. Watson is ideal for giving us 20 overs an innings of containment bowling, if his body is up to it.

Thinking along the lines of most people in this thread for the changes. Warner probably won't be available for selection, so Khawaja comes in to replace Cowan. Think Starc is probably a bit harsh done by to be dropped, but Bird is the kind of bowler that would be great for us in the pommy conditions.

1. Watson
2. Rogers
3. Khawaja
4. Hughes
5. Clarke
6. Smith
7. Haddin
8. Agar
9. Siddle
10. Pattinson
11. Bird

Could easily swap around Khawaja and Hughes in the order as well.

Geez - I'd like to have Bird in on the slopes of Lords.

Regularly hitting a spot and letting natural variation cause havoc would be great.

Bird & Khawaja in for Cowan & Starc for mine.

At the very worst Bird is going to bowl with miserly intent.

Oh and it won't happen but a keeper who can keep would be handy. We may go on about the Broad decision, but Haddin dropping a catch the over following that a quality keeper would have taken cost us just as many runs.

If people want to go on about Haddin's 70 then he can move to 3 instead of Khawaja.

they don't have to pick from within the travelling party, as in there are no rules explicitly stating they do.

but in the past selections from outside having only ever been done in case of injury - sean young played a test in 1997.

unfortunately dhusseys time has passed mate. despite an obvious weakness against shorter bowling, he could consider himself unlucky not have been a crack given the state of our batting in recent years.

I feel like Sean Young was in the extended touring party in '97, I also could be wrong? Berry was the backup keeper on that tour, and Katich was in as well. It was a larger than normal touring party as I recall?

Lords is a bouncier wicket, we need Bird, with his height and movement off the deck, bowling downhill, he'll be very dangerous.

Ponting in for Cowan.

See, I agree with you re: Bird needing to come in, but I also think that Starc would be the harder of the two to handle at Lords moving the ball away from the right handers with the slope.

It's tearing me up.

Not having a game between 1st and 2nd test will make it hard to drop anyone . Would not be surprised if same 11 went around again .

I think we'll go with the same team, but I'd go

Out: Cowan, Starc
In: Khawaja, Bird/Harris

Is there any chance, given Cowan's pretty ordinary dismissals and disappointing career thus far, that we'll drop Cowan and bring in Faulkner?

I hope not, I think Watson gave us a good extra seam option, but you never know with our selectors...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any chance, given Cowan's pretty ordinary dismissals and disappointing career thus far, that we'll drop Cowan and bring in Faulkner?

I hope not, I think Watson gave us a good extra seam option, but you never know with our selectors...

I'd say unlikely, but there's always a chance.

Had Agar been around a little longer the selectors may have dropped Cowan and used some variation of:
6. Haddin
7. Faulkner
8. Agar

However, our main weakness is batting so it seems misguided to drop a batsman for an all-rounder.

can't see them dropping a batsmen for a bowling all rounder, nor should they.

on the flip side, if our batsmen aren't performing does it really hurt?

the problem is scoring a 50 is now seen as sort of saviour for your position... just taking one test in isolation just cause you raised your bat doesn't mean you had a decent test match automatically. 0 and 50 is still an average of 25 and many of our batsmen are doing something similar to this quite often. extrapolate this over many tests (which is also happening) and it becomes a problem.

but so many times a bloke knocks up a half century and it seems to save them for just one more test.

I'd say unlikely, but there's always a chance.

Had Agar been around a little longer the selectors may have dropped Cowan and used some variation of:
6. Haddin
7. Faulkner
8. Agar

However, our main weakness is batting so it seems misguided to drop a batsman for an all-rounder.

Given our bowlers seem to score more runs, maybe it will be addressing the issue.

However we don't need a 6th bowler if Watto can bowl 15 overs for 11 runs

The only change that needs to be made is the umpiring.

They get the umpiring right in this one and it's a 7-10 wicket victory and Cowan is considered to have "just a bad match.".

Actually get the umpiring right, England still win and Agar is not the greatest debutant ever

As for team selection, cant see Khawaja as an improvement over Cowan but hey hope they make the change ;)

Haven't read the whole thread but I thought Pattinson wasted as much of the new ball as Starc. Toss up between the two I reckon. If the Lords pitch looks similar to Trent Bridge I'd go with Harris, if its a bit green, Bird. Cowan out is the no-brainer though Khawaja gives me little confidence.

Haven't read the whole thread but I thought Pattinson wasted as much of the new ball as Starc. Toss up between the two I reckon. If the Lords pitch looks similar to Trent Bridge I'd go with Harris, if its a bit green, Bird. Cowan out is the no-brainer though Khawaja gives me little confidence.
Fair call, but you don't judge off one match only. Pattinson was not the one whose selection was questioned going in to the game. His can be seen as a bad game after some good form, Starc could be seen that way perhaps but with less to back it up.

Actually get the umpiring right, England still win and Agar is not the greatest debutant ever

As for team selection, cant see Khawaja as an improvement over Cowan but hey hope they make the change ;)

Perhaps. I thought it was out, but the shadow played havoc with the replays.

The stump cam actually looked like he might have been in.

That is a far cry from the Broad decision. Regardless of anything else, you make a blue that big, you need to be stood down.

Given our bowlers seem to score more runs, maybe it will be addressing the issue.

However we don't need a 6th bowler if Watto can bowl 15 overs for 11 runs

I get nervous every time Watson runs in.. I can just hear those calf muscles groaning..

So it's clear our XI for the next test must be:

1. Watson
2. Clarke
3. Haddin
4. Faulkner
5. Agar
6. Starc
7. Pattinson
8. Siddle
9. Harris
10. Bird
11. Lyon

I get nervous every time Watson runs in.. I can just hear those calf muscles groaning..

So it's clear our XI for the next test must be:

1. Watson
2. Clarke
3. Haddin
4. Faulkner
5. Agar
6. Starc
7. Pattinson
8. Siddle
9. Harris
10. Bird
11. Lyon

1. Agar
2. Pattinson
3. Starc
4. Siddle
5. Clarke
6. Faulkner
7. Harris
8. Bird
9. Lyon
10. Haddin
11. Watson

It was impossible to give Agar out based on the replays available. Was his foot in the air or on the ground? When did the bail actually come off? Is it on the line or behind the line? Why did that damn shadow have to be there?

The point is - benefit of doubt should always go with the batsman, so the Agar decision was correct.

NEVER bat Siddle ahead of Patto ever again.
He's not too bad, but you always know Siddle is going to edge one sooner or later. Starc is the same- good if you need quick runs, but not reliable when the heat is on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back