AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Vigawla

All Australian
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Drove past the new stadium the other night. Really excited for this, will be a great atmosphere and buzz in the city post game.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
why will it be interesting, more than 50000 people head into the city every work day and it's not problem. Trains, trams and busses with many more parking in the CBD, there really is no problem.
50000 people trying to get home at exactly the same time....we will see. Because there is nowhere to park, Adelaide public transport will s**t itself to death.

Chief Crow

AFC young gun
Dec 11, 2007
City of Churches
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
This was tweeted by Pete McDonald today. Roof frame has begun on Eastern stand
BPV0hIqCIAEmuWT.jpg:large

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
(ETA: I've been parking in the AAMI stadium car park since 1997. Only takes 35 minutes to get there, and it's never taken me more than 10 minutes to get out. It's usually quicker than that, too.)
Oh, come on. It takes 35 minutes just to get down West Lakes Blvd and you can usually catch both coaches' press conferences by the time you get out of the car park

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
50000 people trying to get home at exactly the same time....we will see. Because there is nowhere to park, Adelaide public transport will s**t itself to death.
Sort of like 5pm every weekday of the year except with far fewer people?

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh, come on. It takes 35 minutes just to get down West Lakes Blvd and you can usually catch both coaches' press conferences by the time you get out of the car park

YES I can't believe anyone even gets out of AAMI that quick, although there are always people who say they do, Unless your leaving halfway through the last quarter during a win or something.

We were going to someones place on Delfin Island after the NAB Cup Grand Final last year, walking distance.. but made the mistake of parking in the West Lakes Mall carpark, and it took more than half an hour, at the slowest speed that would count as moving just to get out and around the other side of the car park. The only people going to be worse off at Adelaide Oval either live in West Lakes or will be unwilling to Park anywhere other than AT the actual ground without getting there at a reasonable time before the game.

Their will probably be some sort of Footy Express system, increased regular busses in and out of the city, they are doing members deals with the city cark parks, park and ride at any train/tram/obahn stop. Most busses already go to and from the city, so people wont have to go there and change to a West Lakes bus. and its physically closer than anyone who doesn't live in the Western Suburbs that surround West Lakes.

People staying in city hotels can walk. People can arrive and leave over a longer period of time because there are things to do. Yes it will take a while for people to get used to it all, accept the change, and embrace anything other than driving to the ground but in the end its a far better location for the majority of people.

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
We do! Dad knows all the backways to AAMI, we get there in around 25 minutes from Glenelg. That's leaving around an 1 hour 10 before the game.

Having a wheelchair pass helps getting out of the car park in no time.

It does?

I find it harder, especially if you park anywhere near the bus interchange as no one will move out of your way abd trying to manoeuvre a wheelchair across the grass when its wet, isn't very easy.[/quote]

It does?

I find it harder, especially if you park anywhere near the bus interchange as no one will move out of your way abd trying to manoeuvre a wheelchair across the grass when its wet, isn't very easy.

We generally park in the rotary parking area, the wheelchair spot is right next to the road.

There's another wheelchair spot in the shopping centre that is pretty comfortable to get out of.

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
We generally park in the rotary parking area, the wheelchair spot is right next to the road.

Do you just use your normal disability pass to park in that spot? Or do you have a SANFL car park pass?

We park in the Max Basheer car park in front if the westpac centre on the lawn and getting out is a bitch.

Edit: where is the rotary parking area? Is that in front of the super box area

Do you just use your normal disability pass to park in that spot? Or do you have a SANFL car park pass?

We park in the Max Basheer car park in front if the westpac centre on the lawn and getting out is a bitch.

Just the normal one.

The rotary park is on Brebner Drive, where the christmas tree is to the left of the screenshot.

Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 1.33.34 PM.png

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would hope that accessible parking/seats/facilieties will be better for those needing it at a stadium built in 2013 but I don't know what they are like now. But you would think that having it something they can work with from the start rather than something that has had to be changed over the years as expectations and regulations and all that have improved will be a good thing.

I think their will be similar tricks to get in and out quickly and people will work them out over time.

I do wonder how many of our supporters became supporters or regularly attend games because they live near the ground and weather they will continue to attend or will we attract our next generation of supporters in the city. I know for the people I know in my area going to Aami can require leaving at least 2 hours before a game and similar times getting home so it may put off a lot of as they choose to either go to town or do something else rather than spend 5+ hours going to the footy.

If we currently have a higher percentage of attendances from people living in the western suburbs that may level out as it becomes harder for some people to attend and easier for others. I suspect a game of footy and a few drinks before or after or a night out within short walking distance from the oval will help refresh our dropping crowds, others have said the city is easier for younger families to as far as ease of transport and maybe a lunch in the city or maybe a picnic on the river or parklands before a game. I guess this is the clubs hope anyway.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok now that AAMI is almost over I will let you in on a parking secret, well it's not that much of a secret because there's a few that use it. C'mon down Frederick Rd from Port road, take the last right before the Boulevard and turn left at the end into a culdesac. You can park on lawns and pay $5. Plan it well, grab a spot that you're not blocked in and youre out of AAMI in 10 minutes and that is waiting until the end of the game.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok now that AAMI is almost over I will let you in on a parking secret, well it's not that much of a secret because there's a few that use it. C'mon down Frederick Rd from Port road, take the last right before the Boulevard and turn left at the end into a culdesac. You can park on lawns and pay $5. Plan it well, grab a spot that you're not blocked in and youre out of AAMI in 10 minutes and that is waiting until the end of the game.

So I wonder how many of the North Adelaide residents will be opening their front lawns for car parking hahahah

We'd usually arrive late so that along side the golf course on Frederick rd is as close as we get, and I don't mind that walk, or a similar walk in the city.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So I wonder how many of the North Adelaide residents will be opening their front lawns for car parking hahahah

We'd usually arrive late so that along side the golf course on Frederick rd is as close as we get, and I don't mind that walk, or a similar walk in the city.
I hear Anne Moran is going to have a lemonade stand

Just the normal one.

The rotary park is on Brebner Drive, where the christmas tree is to the left of the screenshot.

View attachment 23918
We used to park there too. Cheaper and far less of a hassle to get out than west lakes mall

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe they'll open up their lawn tennis court for parking?

I'm sure they will, that extra $50 on a weekend could be very handy for them.

Reality is they will want Montefiore rd and King William blocked off, or just turn the whole thing into a gated community on match days.. I don't know though, plenty of parks and ovals... Vacant land?? there for us commoners, if its good enough to park on Max Basheer reserve, Pedlar reserve, Seaton high, etc I am sure the good people of North Adelaide will be more than accommodating.

Back