Remove this Banner Ad

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Some quality grounds.

Frankston- the bug old grandstand that burnt down

North Port- the home of the borough norm goss stand still going strong.

Box hill- a grandstand that holds about 50 people. Same with Williamstown.

Brunswicks was big

Box hill- a grandstand that holds about 50 people. Same with Williamstown.

Brunswicks was big

Williamstown has been totally redeveloped. Lost so much character.

Grandstand has much less seating, plastic, not the old benches.

Nice rooms upstairs,great views across the bay:

williamstown1.jpg

What's at Brunswick these days? And who played there?

I might go and check out a few of the more classic ones going around. Could anyone compile a list of the best ones to check out on a boring Wednesday morning?

What's at Brunswick these days? And who played there?

I might go and check out a few of the more classic ones going around. Could anyone compile a list of the best ones to check out on a boring Wednesday morning?

The ground at Brunswick is still there, the grandstand is falling apart and was fenced off to ward off junkies for a while but last time I was there, 4 years ago it wasn't. Brunswick played there until they folded in I think 1990.

North Brunswick play at the ground I'm fairly certain Silent Alarm

Some fairly close to the city would be

Brunswick
Coburg city oval
North port
Cramer st

In terms of outer terraces Coburg's ground is the most advanced as it was redeveloped back in 1965 for north Melbourne who played in ground.

There is a nice ground in bentleigh, not big enough for afl but plenty big enough for the old vfa.

2qi3h3r.jpg

D.C.Bricker Pavilion at Caulfield.

vwsnep.jpg

View across ground to D.C.Bricker Pavilion taken from vicinity of old scoreboard area.

2j4tunb.jpg

Gates / Main Entrance to Shepley Oval Dandenong.

wlwwso.jpg

Grandstand at Shepley Oval Dandenong.

de5kbr.jpg

Shepley Oval Dandenong Scoreboard.

2mg1hxc.jpg

Original Grandstand at Frankston prior to being torched:mad:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2qi3h3r.jpg

D.C.Bricker Pavilion at Caulfield.

vwsnep.jpg

View across ground to D.C.Bricker Pavilion taken from vicinity of old scoreboard area.

2j4tunb.jpg

Gates / Main Entrance to Shepley Oval Dandenong.

wlwwso.jpg

Grandstand at Shepley Oval Dandenong.

de5kbr.jpg

Shepley Oval Dandenong Scoreboard.

2mg1hxc.jpg

Original Grandstand at Frankston prior to being torched:mad:.
That image of the frankson stand is the new one,

Northcote's ground is still relatively intact since the VFA days.. The Bill Lawry Stand is still there and is about as big as the main 1 at Brunswick. Mordialloc is unchanged.. still has the main stand and scoreboard. Berwick's Edwin Flak reserve is a spectacular ground cut into the side of a steep hill and offers views of the Dandenong Ranges from the terraced/social club side (The CaseyCardinia grand final is held there). Oakleigh and Camberwell's grounds were once great with heaps of terracing and 2 grandstands each but I believe both have been redeveloped.

Excellent pics BradRowe thanks for posting them. I'm always there on grand final day no matter who's playing.. although in recent years i've had the pleasure of seeing Narre clean up which they'll do again this year! Some years there's crowds of around 10k at this ground! Also credit to the other posters putting up quality pics of the VFA grounds :)

Excellent pics BradRowe thanks for posting them. I'm always there on grand final day no matter who's playing.. although in recent years i've had the pleasure of seeing Narre clean up which they'll do again this year! Some years there's crowds of around 10k at this ground! Also credit to the other posters putting up quality pics of the VFA grounds :)

Go Doveton:p.

Preston city oval - Spiritual home of the Northern Bullants.

CAM00455_zps4ba513f6.jpg

Cramer Street End Exterior

CAM00454_zpsf9dd2f5d.jpg

Rear of the Function room

CAM00457_zps09ed38fa.jpg

Ticket Window

CAM00458_zpsdeca8522.jpg

Rear of the main stand on top and visiting rooms on bottom.

CAM00461_zps06dacf20.jpg

Rear of the Northern Blues rooms (on bottom) and coaches box (on top)

CAM00460_zps7920c4f3.jpg

Rear of Bell Street goals

CAM00462_zps721edfaf.jpg

Rear of the outer. Rather than pay, some people will watch the game from here.

CAM00463_zps384d8b94.jpg

Main Stand

CAM00464_zps7162fad8.jpg

CAM00470_zps2284d591.jpg

Scoreboard

CAM00466_zps2abd390d.jpg

Rear of Scoreboard

CAM00467_zps07faf755.jpg

Goal to goal view

CAM00471_zpse4448960.jpg

Northcote's ground is still relatively intact since the VFA days.. The Bill Lawry Stand is still there and is about as big as the main 1 at Brunswick. Mordialloc is unchanged.. still has the main stand and scoreboard. Berwick's Edwin Flak reserve is a spectacular ground cut into the side of a steep hill and offers views of the Dandenong Ranges from the terraced/social club side (The CaseyCardinia grand final is held there). Oakleigh and Camberwell's grounds were once great with heaps of terracing and 2 grandstands each but I believe both have been redeveloped.

I've got a photo from northcote's old ground ill make sure I post it some time.
It might even be on the suburban grounds thread I created I can't remember.

Being relatively new to the VFL (only the last 4-5 years) it is really exciting for me to travel to some of the old grounds. I have been to Dandenong, Williamstown, Preston and Coburg, as well as old VFL grounds in Collingwood and Essendon in addition to many trips to North Port. Some grounds are in better nick than others, but growing up on the VFL/AFL and only being allowed to go to the MCG, it is a real history lesson!

I grew up (1980's) 50mtr from the Mordialloc ground and have great memories and spent plenty of time down there. They used to have this great old tree behind the goals that we used sneak in through (gone now) and generally muck around in. We always nagged them to do the scoring and more often then not suffed it up but we always got a pie and can of drink for it (when they did allow us).
Nothing has changed down there, the small grand stand is still there and the old scoreboard, it got resurfaced a couple of years back and it looks good.
By memory Prahran's ground was impressive.

So who plays at the old VFA grounds?

Here's some venues with home clubs:

Brunswick - North Old Boys/St. Patricks Ballarat (VAFA Premier C)
Camberwell - Old Scotch (VAFA Premier)
Prahran - Old Xaverians (VAFA Premier) and Prahran/Assumption College Kilmore (VAFA Division 1)
Oakleigh - Oakleigh Dragons (TAC Cup)
Coburg - Victorian Women's Football League
Springvale - Springvale Districts (SFL)
Brighton - Victorian Amateur Football Association
Caulfield - Caulfield (SFL)
Yarraville - Yarraville/Seddon (WRFL)

Oh damn, I forgot I also went to Box Hill! I've also been past the old Camberwell Sports Ground a few times since I moved to Hawthorn, its on the way home from my families place in the Dandinongs! It would be great to visit them all and get some pictures taken!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back