Movie Classic Films — Let's Discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

From the sublime, La battaglia di Algeri (aka The Battle of Algiers), to the ridiculous.

Marching On! (aka Where's My Man To-nite) made in 1943 as one of the "race films". Written & directed by African-American actor, director, producer & writer, Spencer Williams. Starring a bunch of no-names who never progressed past a couple of "race films".

Marching On!.jpg

How do you critique such a movie?

It was made by African-Americans for an African-American audience during WW2, starring, as it says in the movie poster, an "All coloured cast". Frankly it is full of the absolutely worst racial stereotypes I've seen in a movie, it's offensive & it is crap movie making, with non-existent directing, terrible acting & dialogue that wouldn't pass the grade in primary school. In addition, about 30 minutes in, it has a segment for sensational purposes & to keep the audience remaining in the theatre. It's a combination of a night club band, the musicians are okay, burlesque dancers who are advertised as the Original 'Brownskin Models', but they are in desperate need of dance tuition, and some comedians. All of this has zero to do with the movie, it's just a 30 minutes long night club act to fill some time.

The movie is actually about an African American family, the Grandfather is a hero of the Spanish American War. A Father, who has gone missing for many years, was a hero of WW1. The ladies of the family who knit & sew for the servicemen and a son who is not inclined to volunteer for WW2. He makes his feelings known to his girl, who promptly slaps him & dumps him, ashamed of his "cowardice". He can't run & hide though because he is soon drafted, but he makes a complete dick of himself at basic training, fouling up everything & then going AWOL. While on the run he sneaks onto a train where a hobo tries to teach him some of the facts of life. He then is on foot where he comes across another hobo, who just happens to turn out to be his long lost Father, who before he dies, impresses upon his son the details of his heroism in WW1. After he buries his Father he is trekking through the desert with no water or food, close to death when he is rescued by his Grandfather who was just happening to be travelling near-by when he saw vultures circling & investigated. This rescue just happens to be near an old Indian hide-out which the guy & his Grandfather investigate when the hear voices. They come across a secret radio device and some Japanese spies, a fight ensues where the Grandfather is mortally wounded, but his Grandson continues the good fight when an Army patrol, his own unit actually, just happens to be passing by. The Grandson is rescued, the Japanese spies arrested, & then the Grandson is given a second chance to make good with the Army & he gets his girl back.

If I had as much luck as that Grandson I'd buy a X-Lotto ticket ... ;)

Quite happy to say this is the worst movie I have ever seen, and this includes all of the Edward D. Wood Jnrs. movies. I gave in 0/10 ...... yep, ZERO/10.

Crosswinds made in 1951, directed by Lewis R. Foster, famous for his work with Stan Laurel. Starring John Payne, Forrest Tucker & Rhonda Fleming.

Crosswinds.jpg

An island hopping American adventurer (John Payne), with a really nice yacht, takes on just about any job to earn money around the Solomons & New Guinea. He is taken on by "Jumbo" Johnson (Forrest Tucker) to go pearling in a certain lagoon, Jumbo provides all the supplies & permits, however when the coast guard checks up on him, they find the permits are fakes & he is jailed & his yacht sold to pay for his fines, "Jumbo" just happens to buy the yacht for a song. When our hero is set free he goes looking for "Jumbo", only to find out he is off searching for a plane wreck that went down in a remote part of New Guinea with a big load of gold. he comes across a couple of petty crooks, who are probably cut-throats, who also know of & want the gold, so off they go to also search for it. To get to the area where the plane went down, which happens to be in a river, our hero & cut-throats have to pass by a cannibal? tribe in New Guinea, but there the find that a white girl, who was aboard the plane, is being held waiting for the next big feast for the tribe, so at the insistence of our hero, she is rescued, because she can locate the exact location of the wrecked plane. Once they arrive there they find "Jumbo" not too far off looking for the wreck, they join forces, but dirty work & double crosses are afoot.

A by-the-numbers island adventure, I gave it 5/10

Watched an absolute classic on the weekend, BELLE DE JOUR, which gets my vote as the greatest French film ever made, eventhough it was made by a Spaniard. :)

Luis Bunuel was at his absolute peak in the 1960's and 70's making some of the greatest films I've seen from VIRIDIANA in 1961 to his final film THAT OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE in 1977, but BELLE DE JOUR will always be considered his masterpiece. Surprisingly for someone who had been making films since the 1920's, this was Bunuel's first colour film.

belle_de_jour.jpg

Belle De Jour is about a young married woman, Severine, and her inability to be intimate with her husband. She harbors wild, secret fantasies about being dominated and humiliated, but it isn't until she meets up with a family friends that she discovers an avenue to "live out" her fantasies. One afternoon while her husband is at work she heads off the a nearby brothel where she meets the madam and after initial trepidation begins working as a high-class prostitute. It is with the many varied clientele that her sexual awakening begins, some of which are quite brutish, but she discovers that "she likes it rough". One such client is a very violent, masogynist and quite possessive, which threatenes to destroy her and her marriage.

While the poster might say a "Masterpiece of Erotica", like Pabst's PANDORA'S BOX there is no nudity or sex in this film, it is all implied or visualised through Severine's perverse fantasies. The film is interspersed with Severine's real life and her fantasies, but this is the first film I know that didn't use any cues to differentiate between the two worlds. For those who are used to fade-ins and fade-outs or musical cues this make take a little getting used to, but I actually loved the ambiguity between the real world and fantasy, it adds to the film.

Catherine Deneuve who plays Severine/Belle De Jour was a star on the rise in European cinema, her performance in THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG bought her to the attention of Roman Polanski who used her to wonderful effect in his first English film REPULSION, but BELLE DE JOUR was her true breakthrough role and the one she is most famous for. It was well received both critically and commercially and lead to her working with the finest directors in Europe and the US, including Truffaut, Bunuel (again in Tristana), Wagnier, Ozon, Aldrich and Scott. And like Cardinale, she is just as busy today as she was in the 60's and 70's making 3 or 4 films a year.

This films is found in almost every "101 films you must see before you die" list that I have ever seen, so if you haven't do yourself a favour and check it out. Just remember unless you speak French sub-titles will be required. :)

Watched an absolute classic on the weekend, BELLE DE JOUR, which gets my vote as the greatest French film ever made,

Fantastic movie & well worth talking about when discussing best ever movies.

However I have these ahead of it

La grande illusion (1937), Le salaire de la peur (1953), Les diaboliques (1955) & L'armée des ombres (1969) plus one of the best docos ever, Le chagrin et la pitié (1969)

Le salaire de la peur (1953) is my favourite French movie.

Professional Soldier made in 1935, directed by Tay Garnett (The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)). Starring Victor McLaglen, Gloria Stuart, Michael Whalen & Freddie Bartholomew.

Professional Soldier.jpg

Donovan (McLaglen) is a highly decorated Marine making his living as a mercenary along with his womanising drunken pal, Foster (Whalen). They are hired to kidnap the prince-regent from a Balkan country, who is in his minority, this fact was left out of the details given to them. They arrive in the country and attend a fancy dress ball, given by the Prince, Donovan checks out the palace while Foster checks out Countess Sonia (Stuart). When they make their move they discover Prince Peter is only a boy (Bartholomew), Donovan is not happy about it, but because Countess Sonia raises the alarm they take off with the boy who has shown them a secret passage because he wants to go on an adventure. The revolution (Donovan's employers) are successful taking control of the government, but the evil ex governors escape. Whilst in hiding Donovan & the Prince grow to love each other, but the Countess betrays them to Gino, the former ruler, not knowing he is evil. When they are taken captive Donovan is locked up and they intend to execute the boy Prince, but the Countess has seen the error of her ways & releases Donovan who wipes out or captures Gino's entire army, saving the Boy Prince.

Not too bad an adventure yarn, I gave it 5/10

It Happened Tomorrow made in 1944, directed by the great René Clair (À nous la liberté (1931), And Then There Were None (1945) & Les grandes manoeuvres (1955)). Starring Dick Powell, Linda Darnell & Jack Oakie.

It Happened Tomorrow1.jpg

This movie is probably the inspiration for the TV series, "Early Edition".

Set in the beginning of the 1900's, newspaperman Larry (Powell) wishes that he could get tomorrow's news today and tells the old man, who cares for the archives at the newspaper, that he would give anything for this to happen. Later that night he & his paper mates attend a show where there is a fortune teller act, naturally a fake, but the girl Sylvia (Darnell) is so attractive Larry immediately falls for her however she gives him the brush off. Later that evening the old man turns up & gives Larry a newspaper which turns out to be tomorrows. Larry is skeptical at first, but learns to trust the newspaper, so he copies a hold up story from it & gives it to his editor. He thinks Larry is nuts but then learns of the hold-up & makes the latest edition in time with the hold-up story. News of this leaks out & Larry becomes a police suspect but he proves his innocence when he again gets tomorrow's paper & tells the police where they can get the hold-up crooks in action. Larry & Sylvia want to marry, but her uncle (Oakie) wants to know how he'll support her, so off they go to the horse races, Larry already knowing who'll win. It all becomes a bit slapstick with crooks, rooftop chases, Larry fearing he is about to die, etc. I wont give away the ending.

I gave it 6/10.

Fantastic movie & well worth talking about when discussing best ever movies.

However I have these ahead of it

La grande illusion (1937), Le salaire de la peur (1953), Les diaboliques (1955) & L'armée des ombres (1969) plus one of the best docos ever, Le chagrin et la pitié (1969)

Le salaire de la peur (1953) is my favourite French movie.

Love all those as well, especially La Grande Illusion and Les Diaboliques which I think are 5 star films, but Belle De Jour takes the cookies for me because of watchability. It is a film that I can watch over and over again (the weekend was probably 25-30th time I've seen it since I first saw it around 1990/91) where as the others I need to take a break.

I consider French Cinema, espeicially from the mid 50's to the end of the millenium to be the best cinema in the world. They were always taking risks, experimenting and pushing the boundaries both in terms of content and presentation. Since about 2000 that hasn't always been the case, in trying to remain popular and relevant against Hollywood's push for world domination their films have tended to be flat and uninteresting much the same as 90% of the garbage churned out of America. But there are still examples of great French films being made, they are just harder to find these days.

Other French films worth mentioning include The 400 Blows, Jules et Jim, Last Year at Marienbad, A Bout de Souffle, L'age D'or, Prix de Beaute and in the 1990's Trois Couleurs Bleu, Toutes Peines Confondues, Un Coeur en Hiver, Trois Couleurs Rouge* and La Double vie de Veronique*.

*The last two are my two all-time favourite films, but I don't consider them French (although they are French language films) because most of the funding and crew were Swiss or Polish.

Love all those as well, especially La Grande Illusion and Les Diaboliques which I think are 5 star films, but Belle De Jour takes the cookies for me because of watchability. It is a film that I can watch over and over again (the weekend was probably 25-30th time I've seen it since I first saw it around 1990/91) where as the others I need to take a break.

I guess my preferences are more to do with favouring certain genres above others

The 20 Questions Murder Mystery, a Pommy film made in 1950. Directed by Paul L. Stein (Blossom Time (1934)). Starring Robert Beatty, Rona Anderson & the actual panellists of the British radio program, 'Twenty Questions'.

20 Questions Murder Mystery.jpg

Set around the popular British radio program, 'Twenty Questions', where the panellists had up to 20 questions to guess an item or person etc. A mystery person sends in item suggestions for the panel to guess, only it turns out that his suggestions are clues to his next murder victim. The police are baffled and the newspapers have a field day reporting, and investigating the murders, through the agency of two reporters, Beatty & Anderson who naturally have to fall in love. The leads draw the police & reporters to a link the victims have with service in India, especially to an Indian man-servant, Mohammed Ali, who takes it on the lam after the second murder, who was his employer. However things are not that simple or obvious and as with many mystery's, often the answer is right in front of everyone.

Ignore the negative reviews, this is fun & very watchable Pommy noir, I gave it 7/10.

Red Salute made in 1935, directed by Sidney Lanfield (The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)). Starring Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Young & Hardie Albright.

Red Salute.jpg

The lovely Barbara loves a young student radical, in fact a communist (Albright), who is in the States on a visa but has not done enough to get deported, yet. Her military father, a General is aghast so he arranges for his sister, Barbara's Aunt, to trick her and both take off to Mexico, where Barbara spends all her time trying to figure out how to cross the border back into the States. She meets up with a couple of young American soldiers, stationed in Mexico. One of them (Young) thinks she is great, but hates the idea of her being a Commie, so he gets a car & crashes through the border with her back into America, thinking he can reform her, not thinking that he is going AWOL. They crash the car, so go looking for other transportation where they come across a hen-pecked bloke & his wife about to go on a trailer holiday. Hen-pecked hubby is delighted to be kidnapped by them to get away from his wife, but these 2 seem not to be able to keep cars in one piece. They end up at an out of season holiday inn where the caretaker calls the police on them. Barbara ends up at home, still in love with her Commie agitator, Young ends up in the stockade, that is until Barbara's Dad, the General, thinks he can make use of Young to disrupt the Commie agitators next rally.

Opinions seem to differ greatly over this movie, I enjoyed it, I gave it 6/10.

I guess my preferences are more to do with favouring certain genres above others

Does that mean you dismiss a film if isn't from one of your favourite genres?? You sound like a film snob. :)

Does that mean you dismiss a film if isn't from one of your favourite genres?? You sound like a film snob. :)

Not at all, I appreciate just about all genres.

But two equally rated films, I tend to favour those in my preferred genres

I imagine everyone is like that?

You prefer films based on country of origin, does that make you a film snob?

Not to me

I prefer films based on genre

Rumble on the Docks made in 1956, directed by machine gun merchant, he knocked them out fast & cheap, Fred F. Sears (Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) ). Starring James Darren in his movie debut, Robert Blake & Timothy Carey (who was as crazy off-screen as he was on-screen).

Rumble on the Docks.jpg

An "On the Waterfront" clone which has its own charms. Two street gangs fight to control their area of the suburb which contains the waterfront docks. However those who are really in control are the gangsters who wield power over the longshoremen & unions on the docks. Darren plays the leader of one of the street gangs who fight off rival gangs trying to encroach on their area and molest the girls. He also is a great disappointment to his father who when he worked on the docks, refused to give in to the muscle & hence had an "accident". The animosity between father & son drives the boy over to the head of the muscle who gives him money and seeks special favours like lying in court to protect the hitmen who kill as per their orders. Naturally there is the required girls, but the movie hardly needs them. It's a fast paced enjoyable quickie, I gave it 6/10.

Valley of the Dragons made in 1961, based on a Jules Verne novel Off on a Comet (aka Career of a Comet, aka in French, Hector Servadac). Directed & screenplay by Edward Bernds who did many Three Stooges shorts. Starring Cesare Danova, Sean McClory & Joan Staley. Danova's character is Hector Servadac, read his surname backwards (French cadavres = corpses).

Valley of the Dragons.jpg

The movie varies greatly from Verne's original story. Two men in Algeria are about to have a duel to the death with pistols over a woman when a comet speeds by sucking only the two of them off onto the comet itself for a wild ride through the cosmos. The comet has done this earth drive by abductions many times, hence it is inhabited by dinosaurs (poor lizards made to bite each other :mad:) and two tribes of cavemen & women. Deciding they have to work together to survive they are soon attacked by flying dinosaurs, gigantic cave dwelling spiders & the elements themselves, causing them to be separated, each ending up at the different cavemen tribes, not knowing the other is still alive. When a volcano erupts the two guys find each other again and encourage the tribes to work together to survive rather than fighting & killing each other. They pair off with women and plan for a good life full of sex, for at least the next seven years which is when they calculate that the comet will again pass the Earth allowing them to jump back home.

Obviously not one of Verne's better works, even taking into account this movie bares only a passing resemblance to it. I gave it 3/10

Not at all, I appreciate just about all genres.

But two equally rated films, I tend to favour those in my preferred genres

I imagine everyone is like that?

You prefer films based on country of origin, does that make you a film snob?

Not to me

I prefer films based on genre

If I'm not already a film snob, I think I'm fast becoming one. I'm finding it harder and harder to find quality new films, outside of the James Bond films (went to my first in 1977 and haven't missed one since) I haven't been to the cinema to see an English language film this millenium. Even the Hollywood classics are beginning to become tiresome, although I watched The Prince and the Showgirl on GO! (I think) last weekend and it was the first time I enjoyed a Marilyn Monroe film that didn't star Ginger Rogers and Jack Lemmon. :)

I'm turning more and more to European films, in particular French and Italian because there is more substance and less melodrama, also I think their films cover a wider spectrum of society. Hollywood is still male centric, most "blockbusters" are action genre films with males as the stars and females in supporting roles or bit parts. That isn't the case in Europe, where woman's lives and issues are explored more seriously, and not superficially in a stupid rom-com, which seems to be the only kind of genre where a woman in Hollywood plays the leading role/s.

Happy to be film snob. :)

If I'm not already a film snob, I think I'm fast becoming one. I'm finding it harder and harder to find quality new films, outside of the James Bond films (went to my first in 1977 and haven't missed one since) I haven't been to the cinema to see an English language film this millenium. Even the Hollywood classics are beginning to become tiresome, although I watched The Prince and the Showgirl on GO! (I think) last weekend and it was the first time I enjoyed a Marilyn Monroe film that didn't star Ginger Rogers and Jack Lemmon. :)

I really can't be bothered with about 90% of modern movies, no matter where they come from.

And Ginger Rogers is not an actress I enjoy watching.

I'm turning more and more to European films, in particular French and Italian because there is more substance and less melodrama, also I think their films cover a wider spectrum of society. Hollywood is still male centric, most "blockbusters" are action genre films with males as the stars and females in supporting roles or bit parts. That isn't the case in Europe, where woman's lives and issues are explored more seriously, and not superficially in a stupid rom-com, which seems to be the only kind of genre where a woman in Hollywood plays the leading role/s.

Happy to be film snob. :)

I guess I'm too old to be bothered with any movies like that, I know what I like and have become less adventuresome, as far as new movies, romance, day-to-day movies, etc.

I'll stick to my old stuff.

I'll keep on doing reviews of the movies I have, the new ones I get in, as long as anyone wants to read them.

If no-one here wants me to do so I'll stop?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sound like a film snob to me.:)

We should change the title of this thread to "Classic Films - For Film Snobs Only" :D

Guess I have to live with it, and continue to look down on those who do not agree that The Cruel Sea is the best movie ever made. ... ;)

Baby Face made in 1933, directed by Alfred E. Green (Disraeli 1929, Dangerous 1935 & The Jolson Story 1946). Starring Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent & in a small bit role John Wayne.

babyface.jpg

Lily (Stanwyck) is a beautiful young lady pimped out by her brutal father in his "speakeasy", since she was 14 years old, in a dirty industrial area of Pennsylvania. She has grown up to be as hard as any of the men she has been with. She has only two friends, Chico, an African American girl who does the dishes in the "speakeasy" & an elderly man who quotes Nietzsche to her, and wants her to improve herself by using men the same way they use her. When her father dies in a fire she takes off with Chico, they end up outside a high rise building in New York, a bank, she decides to put her friends advice into action. She finds the employment office only to find out no-one is being hired, that is until she gets the chap doing the hiring into an empty office & convinces him she should have a job. From that moment Lily is a girl with a rocket, she literally sleeps her way higher & higher. If a man can promote her, she'll sleep with him, only to dump him for the next chap higher up. One of these young men happens to be John Wayne in an early bit role, suit & tie & very clean shaven. Eventually she reaches the top, a mistress to one of the men on the Board only for all of her dalliances to cause a suicide, to avoid a scandal, she is offered a position with the bank in France. Only that is not far enough away for the owner of the bank to see her & fall in love. This is what Lily wants, the richest man around being her husband with all the money, furs & jewels she's ever wanted. But even her husband is not beyond the financial crisis that hits worldwide, leaving Lily to decide whether to stick by her husband & surrender her money & ornaments for him to try to fight his way out of the financial mess. Or to take off with what she has & live the high life without Hubby. Wont tell you the ending, buy the movie, it's worth it. I gave it 7/10

Key Witness made in 1960, directed by Phil Karlson (Kansas City Confidential 1952, The Phenix City Story 1955, Hell to Eternity 1960 & Walking Tall (1973). Starring Jeffrey Hunter, Dennis Hopper, Frank Silvera & Pat Crowley.

Key Witness1.jpg

Mister average American businessman, Fred Morrow (Hunter), stops off at a store to make a telephone call where he witnesses the murder of a young Latino boy by another punk kid, 'Cowboy' Tomkins (Hopper). Although there are another dozen people there Morrow is the only one willing to tell the police what he saw & identify the punk who did the knifing. The punk's gang of rock'n'roll crazies & his moll girlfriend, who is just as vicious as he is, find out the witness' details and they make his life a living hell, threatening to kill his wife & children if he refuses to recant his witness statement. Even the police can't stop the punk from being bailed out who escalates the pressure on Morrow's wife by phoning her telling her what he's going to do to her young daughter. I'll stop here as to go any further would give it all away.

This movie is the vicious side of the rock'n'roll movie explosion that happened in the early 1960's and it works very well mainly because of the very tight directing & fantastic acting by the leads. I gave it 8/10

The Greed of William Hart, a Pommy movie made in 1948, directed by Oswald Mitchell (main claim to fame was with the "Old Mother Riley" series of movies). Starring Tod Slaughter, Henry Oscar, Aubrey Woods & Patrick Addison.

Greed of William Hart.jpg

Based on the crime spree of William Burke and William Hare in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1828. They were a couple of "resurrectionists", they rob fresh graves for the corpses & when the supply began to slow down they progressed to self help by killing their own victims. All this was done to supply the Edinburgh Medical School, and in particular, Doctor Robert Knox, who used the bodies for dissections during the lectures he gave to paying medical students. Due to the British censors all the names had to be changed because it was still, in the 1940's, a public scandal. Tod Slaughter, Britain's answer to Lugosi & Karloff, hams it up as usual, he was never a subtle thespian. The story is nothing more than that, whoever came into contact with the two killers was regarded as fair game, the more remarkable the body, the more they were paid by the eminent physician, who frankly had little concern if the fresh body came from a new grave or was murdered by his suppliers. The movie follows the history books quite faithfully, apart from Slaughter taking command of every scene. I gave it 6/10.

Sea Tiger made in 1952, directed by Frank McDonald (who had a less than stellar reputation). Starring John Archer, Marguerite Chapman & Harry Lauter.

Sea Tiger.jpg

The Sea Tiger is an old freighter that was used by the Japanese during WW2. As the war was coming to an end they hid the old rust bucket in an isolated New Guinea cove, hoping they could maybe come back to it, but that was not to be, the fuss was not about the ship, but what was hidden aboard. The pre-war owners claimed possession of it when it was found, especially delighted when they heard the whispers of a possible treasure, so to take advantage of the situation they hired a captain fresh out of jail who would do as he was told & not ask any questions. When he was being shown over the boat by the owner he was slugged from behind & the owner murdered. Finally coming to, alone with a fresh corpse, he decided his reputation would not bare the discovery of his employers body, so kept the death a secret, hoping to find out what all the ruckus was about from the other owner, a lovely woman. The hour is filled with insurance agents, policemen, leftover Japanese and salty thugs, who all find out about the treasure, but not all knowing there was two treasures, a bag of fabulously valuable gems, the second a stash of huge gold bricks made by the Japanese during the war. It plays almost like a 1930's serial. I gave it 4/10.

Hell Bound made in 1957, directed by William J. Hole Jr. (mainly associated with TV shows). Starring John Russell, Stuart Whitman, Stanley Adams & Playboy Playmate - June Blair.

Hell Bound.jpg

A very tough, gritty 1950's crime film. Cheap crook & tough guy, Jordan, has been sweating on a plan since his days in the war because of information he has. A large stash of drugs is very well hidden on a foreign cargo ship that is due to dock into an American port in a few months, so he goes about his plan. He shoots a little movie showing the details of his plan to a crime big-wig, hoping he'll finance the operation. It involves an American customs official going aboard the ship & clearing it's personnel & cargo, the customs official he has chosen is a diabetic. Prior to reaching the port the cargo vessel has picked up a lone survivor of a small boat that has sunk. Once docking, while the captain & crew are busy with the customs official, the survivor gets the hidden stash of drugs. The customs official then feigns feeling unwell, so the captain lets him rest in his bed, once there the customs official injects himself so he'll go into insulin shock and will need an ambulance. The captain is busy arranging that so the survivor puts the stash of drugs into the customs official's jacket, which is taken with him in the ambulance. Once in there & on the way to the hospital the nurse in the back of the ambulance puts the drugs into a case, leaving it there when they reach the hospital. The driver & nurse then take the man inside while Jordan takes the drugs out of the case & gets away, scot-free. The crime big-wig loves it, on one condition, his girl, as hard a woman as you could ever find, plays the part of the nurse. All is fine until she meets the ambulance driver & suddenly love rears its ugly head, plus Jordan goes about knocking off others involved once they have played their part, only to then suspect the girl, so he kills her replacing her with his girl. Only once things start to go wrong, there is no stopping the dominoes. I gave it a good 6/10.

The Monster of Piedras Blancas made in 1959, directed by Irvin Berwick (known maily for his dialogue coaching). Starring Les Tremayne, Forrest Lewis, John Harmon, Jeanne Carmen & Don Sullivan.

Monster of Piedras Blancas.jpg

Designed to cash in on the success of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon". Bad tempered old widower lighthouse keeper, Sturges, always chases the kids away from his lighthouse, the nearby cliffs & beaches, because he's a mean old bastard, great cover. His daughter has arrived home to stay from boarding school & immediately takes up with budding scientist, Fred, much to Dad's displeasure, coz he also chases them away from the nearby beach where they had been re-enacting "From Here to Eternity". When the old bloke goes into the store for his supplies plus the load of meat scrapes he is always given, he goes off his nut when he cannot have the scraps. The next day a headless body turns up which has the town doctor & sheriff stumped. The bodies continue to mount, as does the township fear, so patrols are started to find out what is happening. Sturges is found at the bottom of a cliff, injured, he had a small fall. He is rescued & cared for by his daughter when they find out a monster has been discovered in the town busy with a killing spree. So Sturges confesses his involvement, he has been feeding the monster who lives in the sometimes submerged caves at the bottom of the cliff. But no monster is a match for his daughter's lover. I gave it 3/10.

If you enjoy doing them, then I encourage you to continue. I don't reply/post much, but I really enjoy following the thread. :thumbsu:

Damn you watch a lot of old movies old fella.

I have to say , The Apartment and Some like it hot are probably two of my favourite films that don't get the recognition they deserve , at least amongst most people my age anyway.

Nearly every comedy film director should have been made to sit and watch these two films before they started filming their films. nowadays comedies are far too slow , or uneven in their pace and drag on far too much. They have too much filler as well. Billy Wilder has these two films cracking at a great pace and they are very much wham bam thank you mam which is what a comedy should give you.

Obviously the stuff like Casablanca is great. Must see great story/screenplay. Hitchcock was very inventive for his time with the way he used the camera. The stuff he was doing was copied afterwards and became the norm. The way he filmed Rope to a film like North by northwest was completely different.

I feel like what hitchcock started with North by northwest directors carried on but at least have come up with some impressive stuff in that time in the thriller genre and have carried and bent the tropes of the genre.

comedy has gone backwards. probably because they are letting comedians who are funny take the ropes too much and they dont really know film, just how to get laughs , while a comedy is more than just a bunch of laughs strewn together in one sitting.

Damn you watch a lot of old movies old fella.

It's my hobby, collecting movies that interest me, mainly pre-1970's

My favourite genre are war, sci-fi, horror, film-noir, crime & fantasy.

I will stray into other genre if there is something special or interesting.

No Blade of Grass made in 1970, directed by Cornel Wilde, starring Nigel Davenport, Jean Wallace, John Hamill & Anthony May.

No Blade of Grass.jpg

This is an end of civilization movie made in America set in England. Due to the massive amounts of pollution mankind was dumping into the environment a new uncontrollable virus hit the world's production of all grasses. This includes all of the grains, wheat, oats, barley, stock feed, etc. Naturally famine ensues causing various governments to utilize extreme measures to control their populations, ranging from food rationing to widespread massacre by bombing with poison gas. The movie focuses on a family who were able to get an early warning to escape a soon to be imprisoned London, with the plan on making their way to far north Scotland where the man's brother has a large farming property. On their way they decide to pick up some guns & lots of ammunition, having already barely escaped a large riot, witnessing the police use extreme measures to disperse the rioters. A confrontation happens in the gun shop so the proprietor goes to phone the police when the shop assistant shoots him & wants to accompany the family in their move north, he's welcome because he's very handy with weapons. The travels north are not easy, being stopped many times, robbed, nearly killed & the women raped. Their group grows due to the old "safety in numbers' adage, which is just as well because the battle become a lot bigger, even when they reach to boundary of the farm. This movie will satisfy anyone looking for action, 1970's sensibilities, music and a new slant on the end of civilization theme. I give it 6.5/10.

The Sniper made in 1952, directed by Oscar nominated Edward Dmytryk, most notable for Crossfire plus The Caine Mutiny. Starring Arthur Franz, Adolphe Menjou, Gerald Mohr, Frank Faylen & Marie Windsor.

Sniper.jpg

This is a really good crime drama about a psycho with a female complex, he likes to kill them. It is easy to see how this film influenced parts of the original Dirty Harry movie, nearly twenty years later. The psycho has an extreme temper, which he loses easily, and takes it out on victims he can observe unnoticed by camping out on rooftops, taking aim & shooting. He is obviously expert with a rifle which added to his mental state makes him very dangerous, a condition he knows only too well, so he anonymously contacts the police pleading with them to stop him before he kills again. Naturally having given no clues as to his identity the police are at a loss, their only hope is that he'll make a mistake with his next victim. Going into a bar for a few drinks a lady starts a conversation with him, gives him her address, but then takes exception to him, but it's too late, he has her address and can hide out on another rooftop waiting for her to kill her. In the end he makes some mistakes, the police learn his identity and surround the apartment block he lives in. I give it 6/10.

It's my hobby, collecting movies that interest me, mainly pre-1970's

My favourite genre are war, sci-fi, horror, film-noir, crime & fantasy.

I will stray into other genre if there is something special or interesting.

not exactly pre-1970 but if you ever run out then wander over to the coen's back catalog of movies. they especially dabble in film noir and often work with one of the greatest cinematographers going around.

True Grit
2009 A Serious Man
2008 Burn After Reading
2007 To Each His Own Cinema (segment "World Cinema")
2007 No Country for Old Men
2006 Paris, je t'aime (segment "Tuileries")
2004 The Ladykillers
2003 Intolerable Cruelty
2001 The Man Who Wasn't There
2000 O Brother, Where Art Thou?
1998 The Big Lebowski
1996 Fargo
1994 The Hudsucker Proxy
1991 Barton Fink
1990 Miller's Crossing
1987 Raising Arizona
1984 Blood Simple.

I would love to see your top ten movies of all time list if you care to post it.

not exactly pre-1970 but if you ever run out then wander over to the coen's back catalog of movies.

I enjoy the Coen's work, especially Miller's Crossing, but they are not priorities for me.

This week alone I have received 110 movies in, I'm not likely to run out of options, having over 4,200 titles in my collection.

I would love to see your top ten movies of all time list if you care to post it.

I did a top 250 list a while back, here's the top 10

1 - Cruel Sea (1953)
2 - Casablanca (1942)
3 - M (1931)
4 - The Godfather (1972)
5 - Seven Samurai (1954)
6 - Great Dictator (1940)
7 - Seventh Seal (1957)
8 - Metropolis (1927)
9 - Gone with the Wind (1939)
10 - Wages of Fear (1953)

Attached is the full top 250 list in Notepad

Attachments

• Bigfooty Top 100 movies.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 126
Have only just discovered this thread - count me in as interested.

I'm more of a silent movie fan, followed by the 1930s - but your write-ups make very interesting reading :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back