Club History Please Identify: South Melbourne Players 1946 and 1950s Seconds Coach

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
Your dad sounds like he was a real character. I wonder if the Normie Gent he spoke about was the former top welterweight in the forties who had a series of wins against some top overseas fighters. From what I remember he was some sort of a character also

yep sounds like the right bloke... Gent used to play tunes on the speed ball at the pleasant sunday mornings including cheer, cheer the red and the white from what Ive heard., if anyone here has used a speedball they would understand the talent.. I remember that speed ball it was right as you entered the players rooms from the social rooms(many new balls later) right on the end of the old red lockers. Im told the old lockers are kept somewhere. I was always getting in trouble for swinging on it.. Gent was the taxi driver to all the players, no one ever jumped his taxi and no player ever paid a fare. I bet he has some great stories to tell and many secrets untold. I couldn't work out the link to Norm Gent and the inner sanctum of the club but I notice we have a William Gent that played for us years earlier, maybe related? He was suspended for 20 weeks for belting 'numerous' Fitzroy players, sounds like a fighter.. Sorry if I bore you and get off topic. This thread brings back some great memories.

basher williams

Draftee
Jun 20, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
yep sounds like the right bloke... Gent used to play tunes on the speed ball at the pleasant sunday mornings including cheer, cheer the red and the white from what Ive heard., if anyone here has used a speedball they would understand the talent.. I remember that speed ball it was right as you entered the players rooms from the social rooms(many new balls later) right on the end of the old red lockers. Im told the old lockers are kept somewhere. I was always getting in trouble for swinging on it.. Gent was the taxi driver to all the players, no one ever jumped his taxi and no player ever paid a fare. I bet he has some great stories to tell and many secrets untold. I couldn't work out the link to Norm Gent and the inner sanctum of the club but I notice we have a William Gent that played for us years earlier, maybe related? He was suspended for 20 weeks for belting 'numerous' Fitzroy players, sounds like a fighter.. Sorry if I bore you and get off topic. This thread brings back some great memories.

Your"e not boring me Baja. It"s good to have a yap about these times. I dont know if Normie Gent is still around. I think he would be about 85 now

Yeah SJ

Draftee
Mar 26, 2008
Holidae Inn
AFL Club
Essendon
Your"e not boring me Baja. It"s good to have a yap about these times. I dont know if Normie Gent is still around. I think he would be about 85 now

Norm Gent is my grandmother's uncle, sadly he died a long time ago. "Too much alcohol" my nan always said. I love hearing stories about him and she loves telling them too. I've found a lot of old articles and photos on him and his boxing career through online newspapers and archives. I'm starting to compile them. I found one the other day, from the Age in 1958, which had a photo of Normie when he became a trainer with South Melbourne. In the photo he was giving brownlow medalist Fred Goldsmith a massage. And Baja was right - Billy Gent was Norm's old man. There is a big framed picture of him at my grandparents house and a story from an old paper that says he was reported for life after a brawl during a game. The ban was lifted a year or two later I think. He was a rover, originally from Essendon if I'm not mistaken, although I don't think he ever played with the Bombers in the VFL.
If anyone has any other stories about Norm or would like me to point him out in a photo, just let me know :thumbsu:

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
Norm Gent is my grandmother's uncle, sadly he died a long time ago. "Too much alcohol" my nan always said. I love hearing stories about him and she loves telling them too. I've found a lot of old articles and photos on him and his boxing career through online newspapers and archives. I'm starting to compile them. I found one the other day, from the Age in 1958, which had a photo of Normie when he became a trainer with South Melbourne. In the photo he was giving brownlow medalist Fred Goldsmith a massage. And Baja was right - Billy Gent was Norm's old man. There is a big framed picture of him at my grandparents house and a story from an old paper that says he was reported for life after a brawl during a game. The ban was lifted a year or two later I think. He was a rover, originally from Essendon if I'm not mistaken, although I don't think he ever played with the Bombers in the VFL.
If anyone has any other stories about Norm or would like me to point him out in a photo, just let me know :thumbsu:

Sorry I can't help you with photos, well not that I can tell who's who in any of the old photo albums I have. Thanks for the input, so Norm was our trainer and Billy his Dad.. That explains a bit and from what Ive heard, I hope I haven't dirtied his name by suggesting the sly grog thing with my old man, they are only stories so I can't say it as fact therefore I could be wrong, but also heard Normy settled quite a few, ermm, business dealings, signings etc for our club back in the day, lets just say without a pen.. again only stories.

I gotta ask coz Im very curious now, how did you happen upon this thread?
Again, thanks for the input as its been an enjoyable read..

basher williams

Draftee
Jun 20, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks for the interesting post SJ. I"mpretty sure I saw him fight a Frenchman at the old West Melb stadium.If anybody remembers the admission was "Ringside" "Outer Ringside" and "Bleachers" which was standing room only , behind a barbed wire fence.

Mar 30, 2005
in a house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
box hill
met an old former south melbourne player when i went to tassie for our game a melbourne based cs member did tell me his name but i have forgotten sadly i know he went to the function and was chatting to Micky O as we chatted about him and that show looking for his family history , will get his book one day as i reckon it would be a good read. not sure if any here could help me with his name all i know is he is very tall and grey hair and a good sense of humour [sorry i know that is not much to go on ]

paula daly

Draftee
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
What a great thing to read my grandfather was reg richards 14 for south. I loved his stories of his footy career and pertticularily the blood bath and he was never one to let us girls think he was anything less than a gentleman so when I used to quizz him about it he said he started it by accident and ran down the other end!!! My Nanna is 94 and loves to talk about her Reg so I will show her this and see if she can recognise any of the players.

paula daly

Draftee
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi all,

Here is another attempt at using the power of the crowd to identify some names in some old photos. As usual, the photos are part of the Boyles collection at the State Library and I have been working with Ken Mansell on writing an updated guide to the collection.

We have spent a considerable time on the collection already and all help is graciously appreciated.

Can anyone identify some other players in the 1946 South Melbourne Team.
This is probably a match from early in the season.
122_230_resize.jpg

Cropped version of Photo by Charles boyles in SLV
Higher quality Version http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/32165

South Melbourne Junior Coach from the 1950s?
South%20Jnr%20Coach.jpg

See South Melbourne 3rd team Photo at http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16949

See South Melbourne 2nds team photo citrca 1951 at http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/17049
http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/17049
Reg Richards is next to pat bourke on his right. He was my Pa!

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm having a tad of trouble with the sly grog boys Baja, give me a few minutes.

Thanks Cas, sorry about sending it to you so big Im not very good with tech things. I hope Mike Riley can add to his history stuff. I love the sly grog pic they were old South 'gangsters' back in the day.. I found plenty of pics but wouldnt have a clue who is who.. Ill have another crack there are a few of Peter Reville too, some of Daryl Baldock but none in football gear so I cant tell whos who.

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks Cas, sorry about sending it to you so big Im not very good with tech things. I hope Mike Riley can add to his history stuff. I love the sly grog pic they were old South 'gangsters' back in the day.. I found plenty of pics but wouldnt have a clue who is who.. Ill have another crack there are a few of Peter Reville too, some of Daryl Baldock but none in football gear so I cant tell whos who.

No probs Bez.. .can you do me a favor though, resend the sly grog boys..... something went wrong there.

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
^ was taken in the backyard of a house on Albert Rd right next to lakeside.. Mabye Mike can use that face recognition thing but the are definitely related to our club.

one of them might be bedford

Michael Riley

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Brighton VFA

Yakas

Draftee
Aug 20, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney

Sadly, no picture. Norm was my great uncle and I had the photo passed on to my uncle and he thought that it could have been Norm, but he must be wrong. I'm going to get in to contact with the East Ballarat FC to see if they have any records and hopefully a photo, as that's where he went to play after his stint at SMFC. http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-6145-80341-0-0&sID=130823

He was 6'4" and wore the number 26 in 1946. If that photo from Junction oval was round 3, he's definitely in the photo as he played that day. I'm determined to get a positive I.D. on him now, it's doing my head in?!

Michael Riley

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Brighton VFA
SLV 122_097 is the photo from round 3 and it has 20 players in it, so he is obviously in the photo.

I believe the 4th person from the left in the middle row is Larry Spokes, You can see a comparison to other photos of Larry on our page
http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/...outh Melbourne Senior Team 1946 (SLV 122_097)

I think Norm is most likely to be back row second from left or middle row far left.

The Swans Football club have a photo of Norm as part of a 1944 team photo (I think it is a newspaper photo as the quality is not great.). It has "The Swans are Striving Hard in 1944 VFL Competition" as a banner above the photo. You may be able to get a copy from the club if you ask nicely. This photo though is inconclusive fr finding a match.

6'4" was tall for the time, and the player second left in the back row fits that criteria. (the player we identified as Larry Spokes does not look that tall)

We could also be wrong. The player far left in the middle row is similar to the player 4th from the left.

Bandit55

Senior List
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
SLV 122_097 is the photo from round 3 and it has 20 players in it, so he is obviously in the photo.

I believe the 4th person from the left in the middle row is Larry Spokes, You can see a comparison to other photos of Larry on our page
http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/...outh Melbourne Senior Team 1946 (SLV 122_097)

I think Norm is most likely to be back row second from left or middle row far left.

The Swans Football club have a photo of Norm as part of a 1944 team photo (I think it is a newspaper photo as the quality is not great.). It has "The Swans are Striving Hard in 1944 VFL Competition" as a banner above the photo. You may be able to get a copy from the club if you ask nicely. This photo though is inconclusive fr finding a match.

6'4" was tall for the time, and the player second left in the back row fits that criteria. (the player we identified as Larry Spokes does not look that tall)

We could also be wrong. The player far left in the middle row is similar to the player 4th from the left.

Bandit55

Senior List
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Found a photo which may help with one of the Round 3 team members - Neville Stibbard:

Attachments

• Neville Stibbard.pdf
    931 KB · Views: 234
Back