Remove this Banner Ad

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Footage of VFL grounds from 1981
Some things of note

The roof on the southern stand at the MCG this was pulled down durning the 1990 season.

The open unroofed terraces at moorabbin.

The cross from south to north of the lake was brilliant. Both grounds were in great condition in the early 90's.

Well worth a look this video if you like all the old grounds.

That is the year I was born! Pretty interesting view of the grounds, actually, being used to all seater "stadiums", its nice to see football grounds with a stand or two and acres of concrete outer.

Ah, that's really cool Bradles.

The MCG seems so much more of a mammoth back then. I guess the old Southern Stand just seems like it's a means, just something to fit in the thousands who'll pack in – whereas now, the GSS accommodates people.

Waverley looks like a massive plastic toy, probably because it's new there. It actually looks impressive through sheer size, and you couldn't feel a few people from getting excited about it. It. looks. massive. Though with that huge lower deck and the tiers that don't overhang, you could definitely sympathise with the notion of awful viewing perspectives...

Love the old grounds looking vibrant, though a lot less closed in. I guess the urban sprawl of Moorabbin and gentrification of Collingwood actually suits those grounds now. Though they seem to look so much more loved with terraces around them...

That is the year I was born! Pretty interesting view of the grounds, actually, being used to all seater "stadiums", its nice to see football grounds with a stand or two and acres of concrete outer.
A bit like Current Coburg or even Frankston.

Back in 1964 Coburg was brought up to VFL standard for the arrival of North Melbourne in 1965.

To this day all the outer at Coburg is concreted with different tiers (same as junction oval was in the 80's)

Ah, that's really cool Bradles.

The MCG seems so much more of a mammoth back then. I guess the old Southern Stand just seems like it's a means, just something to fit in the thousands who'll pack in – whereas now, the GSS accommodates people.

Waverley looks like a massive plastic toy, probably because it's new there. It actually looks impressive through sheer size, and you couldn't feel a few people from getting excited about it. It. looks. massive. Though with that huge lower deck and the tiers that don't overhang, you could definitely sympathise with the notion of awful viewing perspectives...

Love the old grounds looking vibrant, though a lot less closed in. I guess the urban sprawl of Moorabbin and gentrification of Collingwood actually suits those grounds now. Though they seem to look so much more loved with terraces around them...

Yep I'm a fan as well Silent Alarm

As I said in the above post Coburg is worth checking out. The whole ground is basically concreted except the northern end behind the goals. It's tiered into 5-6 sections a bit like how the rush stand looks today but the outer wing at Coburg is twice as wide!

Have you checked out north port yet?
I feel you will like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back