Science/Environment Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster - fish from the pacific inedible

Remove this Banner Ad

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Picture of the radiation from Fukushima nuclear disaster...

radiation-640x474.jpg

At the very least your days of eating fish from the pacific are over.

I don't want to gloat. but thank you for being brave about this. Be wary of the nuclear industry supported posters about to attack if this thread goes anywhere.​
basically the only option the broke TEPCO have is pump water into the the meltdowns and ignore that the overflow reaxches the pacific. that is something that will eventually consume that whole ocean and its community. but if you look at where the cloud has gone is going and that the place could go bang at any time...the cancer rates comimng..,. the DNA changes...​
The posters over the last two years are irrelevant...​

I don't want to gloat. but thank you for being brave about this. Be wary of the nuclear industry supported posters about to attack if this thread goes anywhere.​
basically the only option the broke TEPCO have is pump water into the the meltdowns and ignore that the overflow reaxches the pacific. that is something that will eventually consume that whole ocean and its community. but if you look at where the cloud has gone is going and that the place could go bang at any time...the cancer rates comimng..,. the DNA changes...​
The posters over the last two years are irrelevant...​

boo

It's pretty nasty, but a wiener compared to Chernobyl

To give you an idea of how bad that actually is, Japanese experts estimate Fukushima’s fallout at 20-30 times as high as as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings in 1945
http://hawaiiishot.com/at-the-very-least-your-days-of-eating-pacific-ocean-fish-are-over.html
The accident at Chernobyl was approximately 400 times more potent than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima. However, the atomic bomb testing conducted by several countries around the world during the 1960s and 1970s contributed 100 to 1,000 times more radioactive material to the environment than Chernobyl.
http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/features/chernobyl-15/cherno-faq.shtml

I've had a whack of fallout from Chernobyl in Japan and never felt better at the time - but I did eat heaps of seaweed to protect my thyroid and avoided milk. Seemed to loosen me up.

Would like to know has happened to the poor bastard I met who copped shitloads in Bavaria - you'd love their cover up (hint: interests of Bavarian nuke power plants >>>> locals and their dairy industry). Indeed, the initial cover up in the west is an interesting story for you.

Re the OP link, interesting that US authorities seem to want to know nothing about this.

Thank you for that Dry Rot

No long term solution.

Why build something you can't contain?

They say its worse that Pripyat..

Thank you for that Dry Rot

No long term solution.

Why build something you can't contain?

Still using a 1960s reactor as a reason why we shouldn't do something in 2020s?

I think Australia need generation 3.5 but can't see us doing anything until generation 4 is affordable.

Whilst I agree there are some terrible concerns over the current situation at Fukushima Daiichi, not only that there has been an extensive coverup over how bad the situation is, but that there is every chance of a catastrophic failure of containment in the the future (runaway China syndrome etc.), but if my memory from geoscience serves me correctly the above graphic is one reminiscent of those used to represent wave height (likely of the tsunami) and not the spread of fallout.

In fact, you can see on the key different colour bands for wave height in cm's.

Whilst I agree there are some terrible concerns over the current situation at Fukushima Daiichi, not only that there has been an extensive coverup over how bad the situation is, but that there is every chance of a catastrophic failure of containment in the the future (runaway China syndrome etc.), but if my memory from geoscience serves me correctly the above graphic is one reminiscent of those used to represent wave height (likely of the tsunami) and not the spread of fallout.

Yep.

http://nctr.pmel.noaa.gov/honshu20110311/

I have no idea why people want to exaggerate this sort of thing.
Being more than qualified to speak on the issue...i was pleasantly shocked that an old tech reactor could be hit by one of this centuries greatest earthquakes right next door ..and then directly hit by a 40 ft tsunami head on...and yet the only reason the reactor failed was a couple of 1960's design flaws (not repeated in more recent designs) in having the backup power supply generators underneath and effectively below seas level, and the coating of the fuel rods themselves reacting with water.

Two of the greatest natural disasters we've seen in 5 lifetimes hit an old reactor that probably should have been phased out long ago due to known critical design flaws...yet it was still contained.Not a single person has died and even the guys that worked in such horrible conditions on behalf of all of all of us have been given health clearances.

There are many ways to look at these things....but if you simply run scared of accidents instead of looking at things objectively mankind never progresses.

To my mind understanding the geology of Japan quite well i cant even begin to imagine why they have such a heavy reliance upon nuclear...many countries with stable cratons such as ours could easily...but we've just had an old reactor we now know with design flawa in the worst possible place for one, get hit by an apocalypse and yet survive. Yes there's a major cleanup that will need to go on for years but just to scale the reactor down normally takes years.

Showing a tsunami amplitude map and pretending its somehow a map of radiation is a sign of panic merchants and knockers that just want to stifle mans progress into the future. It doesnt suit the debate...but in reality nuclear has proven to date to be the safest form of the stable high load energy production that cities depend upon. What many dont understand scares the hell out of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

might get rid of all that crap in the pacific gyre if that is any positive. radiate junk and trash away. turning and turning in the widening gyre

I have no idea why people want to exaggerate this sort of thing.
Being more than qualified to speak on the issue...i was pleasantly shocked that an old tech reactor could be hit by one of this centuries greatest earthquakes right next door ..and then directly hit by a 40 ft tsunami head on...and yet the only reason the reactor failed was a couple of 1960's design flaws (not repeated in more recent designs) in having the backup power supply generators underneath and effectively below seas level, and the coating of the fuel rods themselves reacting with water.

Two of the greatest natural disasters we've seen in 5 lifetimes hit an old reactor that probably should have been phased out long ago due to known critical design flaws...yet it was still contained.Not a single person has died and even the guys that worked in such horrible conditions on behalf of all of all of us have been given health clearances.

There are many ways to look at these things....but if you simply run scared of accidents instead of looking at things objectively mankind never progresses.

To my mind understanding the geology of Japan quite well i cant even begin to imagine why they have such a heavy reliance upon nuclear...many countries with stable cratons such as ours could easily...but we've just had an old reactor we now know with design flawa in the worst possible place for one, get hit by an apocalypse and yet survive. Yes there's a major cleanup that will need to go on for years but just to scale the reactor down normally takes years.

Showing a tsunami amplitude map and pretending its somehow a map of radiation is a sign of panic merchants and knockers that just want to stifle mans progress into the future. It doesnt suit the debate...but in reality nuclear has proven to date to be the safest form of the stable high load energy production that cities depend upon. What many dont understand scares the hell out of them.

But the diagram from the OP shows red and yellow (which must mean bad) across half of Earth! :eek:

Very scary pic if true nicky. Although i wouldn't have thought there would have been that much damage, but certainly there will be significant damage to the wildlife for many, many years to come.

But the diagram from the OP shows red and yellow (which must mean bad) across half of Earth! :eek:
Don't get confused about the situation, it is grim bordering upon dire.

There has already been a spike in thyroid cancer rates in children on the West Coast of the US. Just because certain things are under-reported, sometimes deliberately, doesn't mean it isn't happening. The possibility exists for any number of pacific nations to experience unexpected and long term health and environmental consequences.

Also when reading articles on the subject be careful. I have seen arguments posed that despite the volume of radioactive material being released, it will be dispersed throughout great volumes of water and atmosphere. Whilst true, this critically ignores the principle of bio-magnification. These elements collect in the food chain and move upwards in higher concentration at each level. The other major issue of course being half life, which means even with dispersion the threat still exits for x period.

Industry highlights issues with Japan’s Nuclear Regulatory Authority
“In Japan we have seen a nuclear incident turn into a communication disaster,” said Agneta Rising, Director General of the World Nuclear Association. “Mistakes in applying and interpreting the INES scale have given it an exaggerated central role in coverage of nuclear safety.” WNA noted that the leakage from a storage tank “was cleared up in a matter of days without evidence of any pollution reaching the sea.” “However, news of the event has been badly confused due to poor application and interpretation of the International Nuclear Event Scale (INES), which has led to enormous international concern as well as real economic impact.” The regulator’s misuse of the International Nuclear Event Scale ratings “cannot continue: if it is to have any role in public communication, INES must only be used in conjunction with plain-language explanations of the public implications – if any – of an incident,” said Rising.

WNA urged Japan’s Nuclear Regulatory Authority to listen to the advice it has received from the International Atomic Energy Agency: “Frequent changes of rating will not help communicate the actual situation in a clear manner,” said the IAEA in a document released by the NRA. The IAEA questioned why the leak of radioactive water was rated as Level 3 on the INES scale: "The Japanese Authorities may wish to prepare an explanation for the media and the public on why they want to rate this event, while previous similar events have not been rated." Since then the NRA has admitted that the leak could have been much smaller than it said, and also it transpires that the water in the tank was 400 times less radioactive than reported (0.2 MBq/L, not 80 MBq). The maximum credible leakage was thus minor, and the Japan Times 29/8 reports the NRA Chairman saying "the NRA may reconsider its INES ranking should further studies show different amounts of water loss than those provided by Tepco." The last three words are disingenuous, in that Tepco had said that up to 300 cubic metres might have leaked, it was NRA which allowed this to become a ‘fact’. Maybe back to INES level 1 or less for the incident.

Since the leak was discovered, each announcement has been a new media event that implied a worsening situation. “This is a sad repeat of communication mistakes made during the Fukushima accident, when INES ratings were revised several times,” said Rising. “This hurt the credibility of INES, the Japanese government and the entire nuclear sector - all while demoralising the Japanese people needlessly.” “INES will continue to be used ….. but it represents only one technical dimension of communication and that has now been debased.”

"Better" communication in this case means, shut up and stop giving the nuclear industry bad publicity.

The article is nothing but spin, spin, spin.

To paint the NRA as reactionary is ludicrous. TEPCO has the NRA under thumb and finally as the regulator is forced to issue warnings due to the TEPCO information drip feed, the same international players that put on the squeeze post 11/3 are doing it again.

This is the same PR offensive and press spend they engaged in, in March/April of that year. Since then it has become patently clear that all of the bullshit like claims of a minor incident, rapid cleanup, cold shut down etc. have proven to be outright fabrications. Absolute bunch of scoundrels.

I seem to recall the OP not taking too kindly to a thread with a misleading title and a link that is widely believed to be incorrect.

For those unable to think for themselves, this is in fact a picture representing the height of the tsunami wave from the earthquake. It has absolutely nothing to do with radiation, even though parts of it are red and orange which I agree is very very scary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back